Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Fonts with Explorer 5

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Gideon, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Gideon

Gideon Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hi,
    I am a new mac user. I am using OS 9.1 with Hebrew language kit installed. However, I cannot view any web page with Hebrew fonts correctly.

Any tips on how should I fix this problem? including other browsers (mozilla?).
    thanks
    Gideon

2. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    In the preferences on IE you can change the font on the page, so you could change it to a non-hebrew font and it should work.

3. Gideon

Gideon Peasant

Market Rating:
    Reply to Mud

Thanks,
    But this is not the answer. I still can't see Hebrew in the Explorer 5 even after selecting all the fonts in the prefernces to be Arial-Hebrew fonts.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    Gideon

4. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, maybe I'm just misundestanding, you want the web page to be in hebrew, but its ending up in engish?

5. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    i'm not experienced with displaying other languages, but the best thing to do is probably update the OS and IE as high as you can go. you can get updates to Mac OS 9.2.2, and IE 5.1.5.
    you can IE here: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=2904&db=mac
    update from 9.1 to 9.2.1 here: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11756&db=mac
    and update from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2 here: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12765&db=mac

you might also need to change the character encoding, i can't tell you where it's located as i don't have much memory of IE on OS9, but it should be somewhere in the menus themselves, instead of prefs or something.

if you REALLY need to read the hebrew, you might consider upgrading to OSX, it has extremely good language support.

6. Gideon

Gideon Peasant

Market Rating:
    ANswer to Mud...again

Thanks for following up.
    The problem is that some pages (newspapers for instance) use character set with Hebrew fonts. If these are not recognized by the explorer I get Cyrillic instead of Hebrew and can't read the page.
    I know that in the MS version of explorer, there absolutely no problems. You can choose the Hebrew fonts from VIEW>CHARACTER SET>... I don't know how to get the Hebrew fonts to be a part of that list.
    I do have the Hebrew language kit installed which lets me choose Hebrew fonts when I go to the EDIT>PREFRENCES>FONTS... There I defined the "Ariual-Hebrew" fonts everywhere I could.

Bottom line - the broweser still shows crap! Try to view www.haaretz.co.il on your machine. If you can distinguish Hebrew fonts from Cyrillics and your browser displays the page correctly - please let me know what your settings are.

Thanks much again
    Gideon

7. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    works fine in 10.2 with mozilla 1.1

8. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    and OmniWeb 4.1.1sp3 on 10.2.1.

as i said, you might need to change the character encoding or something...

9. Gideon

Gideon Peasant

Market Rating:
    old machine - takes only OS 9.1. Is still possible?

Hitometer: 53,936,626 since 1995