Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

final cut pro v3 (carbon)

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    Here is another point of view.
    Lets take...say, photoshop.

I have photoshop. I didn't pay for it. Had I never downloaded it I never would have seriously used it and I never would have gotten good at it. Since I have downloaded it and used it extenisvly I have gained quite the considerable skill. I then convinced the school to buy a lab copy (30) of the photoshop 6 as well as a few 3rd party filters which I also have "Gained" access to. There is VERY little chance that the school would have gotten these copies if I wasn't there to push for them. (we had a media grant and had the choice to spend it on this or a bunch of other software which I had no care for, I managed to convince the director to purchase the photoshop instead.)

Okay: lets look at the two scenarios:

I don't pirate software. I stay legit. I don't learn photoshop. Adobe doesn't gain or lose anything.

I pirate software. I don't stay legit. I learn photoshop. Adobe sells 30 extra copies of photoshop (albeit at the education price), not to mention the extra 3rd party filters that we registered (xenofex for those who care).

Same thing with Final Cut Pro, the ROP Video lab started the year with some extra cash. The lab has about 8 (i think, havn't counted) iMacs and 2 G4 450's. The G4's had final cut 1. Because of my experiance with FCP 2 I convinced the ROP lab admin to update to Final Cut Pro 2 as well as get 2 more full copies of FCP 2 for 2 new iMacs which were also bought with the fund. (different admin, different grant, yeah tech people like me for some reason, what can I say? Deciding where money gets spent is fun!) :P
    Apple sold 2 extra copies of FCP and 2 upgrades because I pirated thier software, and it didn't even cost them anything... kinda like free advirtising I guess. Not only that I have shown off FCP to several hardcore PC users and have almost convinced some of them to buy a mac. Even more money for them.

I believe that software piracy is only evil when someone has a program, uses it, can afford it, but doesn't buy it. That is wrong. (It is always unethical).

2. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't think your story is the rule Eupfhoria, but rather the exception. Don't you find anthing wrong will stealing? I guess the fact that you'll never be caught and that so many other people do it makes you feel better. I despise people with this mindset. :mad:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2002
  3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    but everyone else is doing it! you aren't cool like everyone else i guess. ;) :p

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I find it wrong to steal the software which is why I, like Lurk, buy the software if we intend to use it. I had some incorrect information on an earier post, I sad that Maya was $3500. In this months issue of MacWorld they list it as $7500. Huge mistake on my part. There is no demo for the software.

Anyway, we (Lurk, myself, Eupforia) may be exceptions to the rule and stealing is still stealing, but at least we make good on it. My intent is not to make the general population suffer while I benefit, but on the flip side I don't want to shell out hard earned $$$ for a piece of crap software.

5. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, you'll be happy to note there is now a free version of Maya for no-comercial use and Office Test Drive for OS X.

6. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I doubt apple is too worried about losing money on FCP. My friend worked at CompUSA as the Mac guy (software, hardware, beats me). The Apple rep went there to show them FCP2 when it was released, and gave him a free copy.

$999, for free. What's with that?

7. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    Because it doesn't cost the rep/Apple $999 to make a copy, a small amount of money to make the cd or cds and some more for the manuals. I would assume most of the cost is due to development, not manufacturing, so it hardly costs the company anything to give away the copy, and they may get more potential buyers.

8. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:

I was at macworld today. I was walking by and a guy at the lightwave 7 booth (a $2500 program) just threw a copy out into the rather measly crowd. I saw it, and damn near tackled the guy who caught it...

I WANT LIGHTWAVE 7!!!!!! Actually, more specifically... I WANT TO SELL A FREE COPY OF LIGHTWAVE 7 ON EBAY AND MAKE $2500!!!!

9. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Damnit, all they throw at MWNY is keychains and trial software... heh I was able to bean a MS Office guy who was dissing Macintoshes durring a presentation with a keychain/screwdriver combo... (I think the people cheered... I don't know... heh too busy running away, and looking for Knifehim...)

PS: And that Knifehim is why I needed that other one that popped me in the head later on... FYI

Last edited: Jan 9, 2002

Hitometer: 53,856,830 since 1995