Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

final cut pro v3 (carbon)

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  2. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Score! Oh wait... I don't have $1000 to spend... Where's iMovie 3 damit!! :mad:

3. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    I like premiere. I've never used final cut though, so I can't really compare.

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have used FCP 2.0 and found it to be difficult to learn. It is most liklely a lack of time and dedication when iMovie does what i need. I will "try" out FCP 3.0 hopefully very soon, I just have to see if what I have will work. I'll update everyone if things go as planned.

5. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    I would also like to "try" final cut pro 3.0...

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    home prOn :laugh2: :o

7. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    speak for yourself... 9more along the lines of badly dubbed movie... on purpose...)

8. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    What the hell makes people like you think they have the right to seal and distribute copyrighted material? Do you even care that by downloading stolen software you're hurting Apple's business? Just because you can't afford it or you don't feel like paying for it doesn't mean you can steal it. What guys like you do is no different than walking into your local Fry's and jacking a copy of Premere off the shelves. It doesn't matter if you weren't the individual who put the package on the web in the first place, it's still illegal and it's still wrong. There's no way to justify stealing something you don't need to live on. Software is not a right, it's a luxary item. Stealing software, or music for that matter, is petty larceny. It is disgraceful and not something to be proud of. :mad:

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No it's not actually. If you download software that there was no chance in hell of you ever buying then you're not hurting their sales. If you download software en lieu of actually buying the software when you need it and would buy it then you are hurting their business.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    of course!

11. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Keeksy I completely agree with you but there is a problem with the above statement. As far as I know there is no trial version of Final Cut Pro 3. If there is then the following sentences are worthless: I do not have $1000 to waste to see if I like a piece of software. I am guilty of d/l'ing a lot of software, but I will tell you this, if I like it and will use it I will buy it. Giants, d/l'd it liked it, bought it, Red Faction, sucked ass, didn't buy it, Microsoft Office v.X, liked it, bought it.

I make sure that if the software is a sound investment I make good on the d/l. I know there are a lot of people out there that don't, but there are those of us that do. In the case of Final Cut i think that it is clear that we are not the target customer base that Apple intends, hense iMovie. A casual movie editor (5 - 10 times per year) would be smoking crack to shell out $1000 (plus tax and shipping, so closer to $1100) to edit videos every now and then, at least one that is making less then 100K a year that is. Some of us don't have money to burn and want to experience something before we spen our life savings on it!

12. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll have to think this over.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    does it hurt? :p

14. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    My thoughts

We don't live in a perfect world cow. People are going to steal software that they would otherwise pay for. The fact that so many people can steal music and software without any penalties encourages this type of larceny. How many of you QuickTime Pro users actually paid Apple $30 for instance. Very few probably, because Apple isn't checking our computers to see if we stole it. Apple isn't like M$, they trust their customers even though many just stab them in the back.

The problem is that there's this huge community of people out there enjoying the benifits of free warz. They say they're not evil because they openly share with everyone and that they are fighting the evil corporate giant (record companies and M$). Whatever. M$ isn't going to changes its ways because people refuse to pay for its junk. They'll take away all your privacy and fire workers first, and record companies will continue to screw artists. They'll just screw a little harder until their margins go back up.

Even if you download something you don't intend to keep. The fact that you did encourages other to do so as well. Yor just reenforcing what many already think. Everyone's doing it guys! They can't arrest all of us! Please realize this mindset on the part of consumers will only lead to more M$-like behavior from every company. People have to get it out of their heads that music, movies, software, and intellectual property should be free for everyone. People will stop putting effort into these things (No money? Why bother?), and honest people get screwed.

15. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you are causul movie editer then you dont need FCP 3. There are plenty of programs that will do what you need. FCP 3 (and the rest for that matter) are high caliber movie editing apps. They are not some piece of shareware made in a couple weeks. go get a copy of iMovie or something. Photoshop is a $600 program, M$ Painter is free. Ever wonder why? Powerful progrmas like Photoshop and FCP 3 are programs that you don't use to cut and paste. If you want to cut and past use somehting simple.

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    there is such a thing as looking too deeply into a situation :nod:

17. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think that it has to do with the target group and whether it can be tried before it is purchased. Take Maya for example. Isn't that program $3500 to purchase? If I want to see what the program is about I will try to find a copy that I can install just to check it out. This is not an excuse or anything, but I am a "never would" when it comes to purchasing that particular piece of software. The people that would purchase it (for their occupation or pockets with holes in them) they are are hurting the company by not purchasing it. The company never would get the $$ from me b/c I could never buy a piece of software that expensive. I wouldn't even if it made me breakfast, did the deishes, warmed up the car, drove me to work, gave me a bnack rub, etc.

Anyway, pirating software is a bad thing and I will not make an excuse to try to make it a good thing. There are reasons that I do it, but if it is something that is worth the investment I will buy it.

Great example here. Windows XP Pro. Full install costs $400, Microsoft does not honor returns on it b/c of the new key generation thing. My laptop meets the minimum specs by a long shot. All the hardware is on the HCL. I "obtained" a corporate copy of the software and a corporate key. Win XP would not install. After 10 tries I had no success and went back to Windows 98. Had I not tried this before buying it I would have been out $400 unless I raised such hell to the store I bought it at that they gave me a refund just to get the "violent" guy out. Anyway, what I did was wrong, yes, what I did saved me from making a huge mistake. Did Microsoft lose money on me? Tough to say. I figure that somehow, someway I would have gotten a refund, even if it meant stopping in the next time my wife and I take a trip to the Pacific NW.

I am not sure what my point is anymore. I guess that I just want to make it clear that I am "honest" (if it can be called that) when it comes to warz. If it is worth the money, it is purchased, if it is not, the software is like a demo to me and into the trash it goes. There are those that pay absolutely nothing for software, they are the ones that are making it bad for the rest of us. Ah, I don't know where I am going with this. Nevermind.

18. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    I still disagree, but I'm not the end all authority on this matter. I would just hate to have my software priated. Atleast we're being civil about it.

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    if you don't mind can i please pirate your software? :p

20. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Dude, a one-time investment of $3500 for a piece of software that did all that? Where do I sign up?

That being said, I am very much on the fence with this one. Keesky is 100% correct, but I must say that I am known to "try" out software before I buy it too. I can honestly say however that if I like and use the software, I purchase a legit copy ASAP, every time. I even shelled out the bucks for Office V.x, after previously "sampling" a copy of Moose's. (BTW, it rocks.) By contrast, the "sample" copy of Summoner exited my hard drive after about 5 total hours of playing and the CD-R found its way to the trash can. In case you are wondering, I register my shareware, too, and I have never used programs like Napster to download music. (BTW, I was on the side of the RIAA and Metallica, et al in that one.)

Hitometer: 53,596,373 since 1995