Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

exporting US tech jobs / education

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Jakeman, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050217-4623.html

I love Ars commentary. It's so smart (ass):

That's pwned lol. :D

2. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well said and very true. H1B's are b.s. Either become a citizen or work for your own country. Of course I might be singing a different tune if I lived in another country.

3. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    It may sound un-American of me but our jobs are going to go overseas anyway. It's all part of a global economy. We, as a country, have had the luxury of a rich economy for so long that we don't necessarily realize how little other parts of the world have. (It certainly doesn't help that our media only shows what we do and things done to us.) As the global economy strengthens one of two things can happen: 1) we will maintain our way of life and the rest of the world will slowly catch up or 2) the high living we enjoy now will begin to decline as jobs and money are shuttled out of country. My bet is that things will go down here as they go up elsewhere.

The only way for us to maintain our standard of living is to completely close off our borders and not allow jobs or technology to pass in or out. This isn't going to happen.

I'm painfully aware of the possiblility of my job being sent overseas. I trained a crew in Malaysia last year to do my job. They get about a third of what I make and that's high living for them. Think about it, American companies will NEVER do anything that will cut into their bottom line unless they are forced too. (Try making fast food restaurants serve truly healthy food or proportions that are suitable for normal humans.)

It's only a matter of time.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Diffusion in open systems can be defeated with energy input.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Unfortunately energy can't be created and the US battery is running on empty (deficit).

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Only in closed systems. You can create energy in open systems by importing it from outside of the system.

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    And that's what is being done. But soon the world banks will refuse to lend more money.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I wasn't talking about energy as in foreign money. I was talking about energy as in incentives not to outsource.

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Incentives cost money that the government doesn't have, that money has to come from somewhere.

They might as well cut the crap and implement a full on trades embargo against the world because you just know that's for what all the large republican backers are pushing.

10. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Oh no you didn't...

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    DEY TUK UR JUBZ

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Then use negative reinforcement. That costs negative monies.

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    What, like fining companies that outsource? I don't think that would go over very well.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I don't see why not. Americans are all in favor of keeping jobs here. The only people against it are the corporations. The public support would be overwhelming... it wouldn't be seen as bad.

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ultimately I think the companies would spin it and use it as an excuse to lay people off or reduce salaries.

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Maybe, but at least Americans would be getting those (reduced) salaries instead of foreigners.

17. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    They would most likely form divisions in those foreign countries instead, then we would lose the corporate income taxes as well as the jobs. Multinational corporations have no national loyalty. Make things hard for them here, and they will move.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Then I will move to a foreign country where the cost of living is 10% what it is here. Then my money will go much farther.

19. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    your wages would also be 10% of what they are here. lots of people plan on doing that sort of thing when they retire, after they have all their money saved up.

Unless you can make a career out of telecommuting. you could get paid the same no matter where you actually live.

20. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    This is really a pointless discussion. As much as I don't like it, we have to outsource or we won't survive for much longer in the business world. As a matter of fact it has been delayed to long already while businesses in other countries have grown stonger and accumulated a much a bigger monetary supply than ours. Just trying to penetrate the market in certain areas now is proving more difficult than we thought. I really hate it though. Honestly, do you think we do this to help other countries with less than we have? They will still be lucky to get paid 1/3 of what we are paid. There are not the resources or incentives for most to build any sort of a corporate empire in these places. Even if they do then do you think they will actually stay? Hell no, who wants to remain in a dust pit, famine, disease infested area when you have places such as America and Europe to go. Flame away.

Hitometer: 53,837,233 since 1995