Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Expansion

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Alteren, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Alteren

Alteren MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    It looks like I might be speccing to get Slow for BC to compliment my little group of buddies (other mage is probably taking the water elemental).

I'm pretty excited actually as the new arcane tree has some nice thins in it.

Anyone have likes to Slow builds. I can find plenty for Dragon's breath and Water elemental, but I haven't seen any Slow builds.

Thanks.

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    This is just my 2c, I'd probably go with something like this:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...150520201200000000000000000000000000000000000

I did this very quickly, so there's quite a bit of room to play. If you're going deep Arcane I think the "must have" talents are:

5/5 Arcane Concentration
    1/1 Presence of Mind (if only as a prereq)
    3/3 Arcane Instability
    1/1 Arcane Power (might as well)
    5/5 Arcane Mind
    2/2 Spell Power
    5/5 Mind Mastery
    and of course 1/1 Slow which is what you're after

The rest of it is somewhat debateable depending on what you want to accomplish. Fireball would still be my primary nuke in this build, so I don't really need Arcane Subtlety's threat reduction, but took it anyway for the spell penetration. If you wanted Arcane Missles instead as your primary nuke, I'd find a way to work in Empowered Arcane Missles, and probably Improved Arcane Missles as well (although I'd definitely keep Subtlety then). If you find yourself using Arcane Blast a lot you might want Arcane Impact to go with it. Arcane Potency as well seems more suited to Fire as your primary nuke.

I chose what find to be the more useful Arcane Talents as fillers, but they are by no means necessary. You could find ways to work in Magic Attunement or Improved Mana Shield if that's your cup of tea. Damage reduction is always nice, hence Prismatic Cloak, but you may like those points elsewhere. It's all in your playstyle.

3. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Lurk FTW.

Thanks for the help. All I as expecting was maybe a link :-).

My buddy and I were both in awe of the Water Elemental, not just for function but he looked cool AND appeared to kick some butt and the frost tree was nice as always. Once I get to 60, we'll have a little 5-man group and I suggested that maybe one of us should grab slow for the utility. I volunteered :-).

I was a little hesitant at first, but the arcane tree is very nice, at least in my opinion. You can get more mana, intellect, and mana efficiency and still decent dps when combined with pts in fire or frost.

Anyway, thanks so much :-). I'm expecting to plow a little past 30 on my guy this weekend. I'm thinking I can make it to 60 before BC. If I don't, I'll be pretty darn close anyway :-).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  5. Alteren

Market Rating:
    With the build as you have it on the link, where would you take the points from if you wanted to do Improved Arcane missles and make arcane missles the main nuke?

EDIT: while keeping slow obviously :-)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hmm, something like this:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The point in Arcane Fortitude was a filler point to unlock the 7th row, you could stick that anywhere. I just put it there because I had to pick something, not because I think you need it.

Anyway, I really just took the points I had in Magic Absorption and put them into Improved Arcane Missles. IAM is somewhat debateable, since I tend not to cast Arc Missles if I'm being interrupted, but if it's your primary nuke it's quite likely there'll be situations where you're taking AOE damage that will interrupt your channel unless you have the talent.

I think you HAVE to have the mana saving talents (Arc Meditation, Arc Mind, Arc Concentration) if you're going to be spamming Arc Missles, it's a mana hog. Especially if you have Empowered Arc Missles, which ups your mana cost. Then pop Arcane Power on top of that yet and you'll be burning through mana like nobody's business. That said, Blizzard has stated that with talents Arcane Missles will be the highest DPS spell on a single target come the expansion, the trade off being less mana efficiency.

I left 19 points free, do with them as you will. If you're going to primarily be an Arcane mage, using Arc Missles and Arc Blast, then I'd definitely pick up Arcane Impact. Otherwise you could focus on one of the other schools just to give you a backup damage source. I suspect we'll be seeing more Arcane resistant mobs in the expansion.

8. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Once again, thanks so much :-). I definitely agree about the mana saviing talents. I haven't fully decide to make that my main nuke, but it could be a very interesting possibility. I do alchemy, so I'd at least be able to keep myself a decent supply of potions if necessary.

On a completely non-technical note, I always thought a mainly arcane mage was a cool idea. These new talents, in my mind, will make that a very viable choice. I won't probably get into the ZOMGUBERL337WER0XX0RZ raid guidls with it, but that's not what I'm going for anyway :-)

9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  10. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:
  11. JollyRedGiant

JollyRedGiant MSC Commander

Market Rating:
  12. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
  13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    All classes do that (see WoW forums), but we have nothing but mages for actives on this forum. I should have picked a different class to spice it up. I didn't know everyone would pick mage.

14. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    There is one hunter in our guild so I don't really have anyone to talk to. :(

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Danger, Redhunt.

16. JollyRedGiant

JollyRedGiant MSC Commander

Market Rating:
    im more of a priest now, i only farm with Red.

17. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:

Thanks.

18. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I tried posting hunter stuff a few times but it pretty much fizzled. I would rather just make pics of Jake posing as superman, lol.

19. Ellusion

Ellusion MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  20. Fujin

Fujin MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    No Lock love? :(

Hitometer: 53,594,655 since 1995