Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Expansion Talent Builds

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Lurk, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    A bit of a slow day here at work and I'm bored, so I can't resist playing around. Some mage builds I came up with on the current versions of the BC talent trees:

32/29/0, a PvP oriented build designed for critical strikes with Fire and Arcane Blast, while stealing some mana back on your Fire crits with MoE. Also has PoM and AP goodness, but takes advantage of few new talents. The 4/5 Fire Power and 1/3 Imp. Fireblast are completely "loose," those 5 points could go anywhere (Imp. Fireball or Prismatic Cloak or Imp. Scorch + Blazing Speed, for example).

41/17/3, more of a PvE build that takes advantage of the synergy between Arcane Mind and Mind Mastery, and adds the 41-pointer Slow (which I assume will be effective on trash mobs but not on bosses). This is not without PvP potential, though. Slow could be devastating in the hands of a skilled PvP mage, and of course PoM and AP are still here.

18/0/43, deep Frost with the intent to maximize the potential and opportunity of Ice Lance with Ice Shards, Frostbite, Shatter, and Winter's Chill. Dishes out some damage with Frostbolt as well, and provides the Water Elemental pet for the lonely mage. Frost is a tough tree for me (I know, lrn2frost). I think it's the only tree where you could legitimately spend all 61 points and come out okay. I have only 1/3 in Precision and didn't even include Arctic Winds, Ice Floes, or Frozen Core, all of which could be somewhat useful.

And lest you think I've abandoned my fiery roots: 21/40/0 and 0/40/21 add the sweetness of Molten Fury and Empowered Fireball on to my pre-expansion Fire build with the option to go Arcane or Elemental in support.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  2. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
  3. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Pure PvP build 41/20/0 : 15% increase Int + 25% increase dmg from Int much better than 10% increase fire dmg.

4. Ellusion

Ellusion MSC Knight

Market Rating:
  5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Fairly close to my 41/17/3 above, but I like my 41 Arcane better. Magic Attunement is okay but not great, and why wouldn't you want Slow for PvP? (I do like pulling 5 points out of Focus and Meditation for Prismatic Cloak, however, at least for PvP.)

Arcane Mind + Mind Mastery vs. Firepower, you may be right about that, I'd have to look more closely at it and do some math. I don't know about "much" better, though, we'll see.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  6. Fujin

Fujin MSC Knight

Market Rating:
  7. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Why not Slow? Well as of right now, I don't have any troubles vs melee and hunter just own mages anyways so not much use (keep in mind that an average mage will most likely be doing 3k non-crit once they are lvl 70 so it takes 2-3 spells to kill someone??). Trouble I have is mostly against other casters, i.e. warlocks, priests (any spec) so Slow isn't gonna do much except for BG but I expect Arena Battle to be more popular in xpac. Spell steal would be something I'll be looking forward to vs priests...not too sure about warlocks though.

I'd really think Frost would be much better than Fire in PvP though. I could imagine having my Elemental beating on a Fire mage (anything except another Frostie) while I'm in my little cube and then pop out when he least expects it to silence and throw a nova followed by Ice lance + CoC combo. Then Coldsnap so I can go to my cube again should I be in danger.

8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    If Spell Steal can take Fel Armor away from a Warlock, that would be very nice.

I think you may be giving Water Elemental too much credit. I really doubt it's going to be able to solo for you, Fire mages will likely just burn it down.

9. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  10. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I never said about the WE solo'ing anything. All I said was I'll be in my cube while the WE pounds on you and when it distracts you enough for you to start casting at it, I'd pop out, CS (improved of course) and beat you down with nova, lance, CoC. Spellalert sure helps on the timing since I can see how long you have till you finish your cast. All that WE is for is to distract and annoy you. Consensus are that the WE will be like a warlock's VW or actually more like the WE that the mages summon in Strath (live side).

All in all though, frost is already better than fire in PvP as of right now. I love how the mage officer in my guild keeps complaining about how frost is so over-powered (he's been fire ever since the game came out and it annoys him that fire don't have what it takes to fight against a frostie but he refuse to spec frost cause he's always on top of dps meter with fire). Actually I think fire is better for raiding (all mages in guild are fire spec for maximum dps atm) and frost is for pvp.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  11. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Does lance have a chill effect? If not, it can't proc frostbite.

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Probably true, although a fire mage who specifically specs for PvP over raiding (Impact instead of Imp. Fireball, as one example) can still be pretty effective. The only real difference is Ice Block. And a fire mage can even get that if he's willing to give up ICS and PoM.

13. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Gee, the WE's in Strath really strike fear into everyone. Have you seen what Jaina Proudmoore can do? I happened to be in Theramore for a half hearted Horde attempt to kill her. She summons an army of them. If we can do that I'll be impressed. (Not out of the question, again I must ask why the spell has a 30 second cooldown.)

"Consensus" is no one knows what the WE can or can't do yet since no one has made it to 70 in the F&F beta, and so far Blue isn't talking. Anything you read right now about the WE's abilities is pure speculation and/or pipe dreaming.

I'm just saying don't get your expectations too far up, otherwise you're liable to be disappointed. Like a lot of mages are with Invisibility, because they expected to be ranged rogues (which would be ridiculously overpowered). Making the WE too good would be similar, and I'll be very surprised if we can use them the way Warlocks and Hunters can use their pets.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    38/23/0, spell vulnerability increase from Playing with Fire is countered with Magic Attunement and 5/5 in Prismatic Cloak. Mage gets a 6% increase in spell damage from PwF and Arcane Instability, and additional increase from 5/5 Arcane Mind and 2/5 Mind Mastery. Assuming 400 base Int (+ 60 from Arc. Mind + 31 from buff), mage gets a flat increase of 49 damage to all spells on top of the 6%.

An interesting aspect of this build is the flexibility between Playing with Fire and Mind Mastery. Some mages prefer all out +damage gear, they would like the 3/3 in PwF. Other mages prefer to balance +damage with stats, they'd likely get more mileage from maxing Mind Mastery.

Hitometer: 53,578,881 since 1995