Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

EverQuest, Session 1

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sparhawk, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Okay, so I took my first hit of EverCrack today (Everquest). Initial impressions:

1) It took me a couple of hours to figure out how things worked. Then a couple more to get my character right. This isn't like Diablo, you NEED the third party 'Official Strategy Guide'.

2) It's not crack. No, no, been playing for nine hours straight, not crack at all. :D

3) Props to Kalgareth for the help w/ the items and play/interface tips. He made it a lot easier and enjoyable.

4) IT WILL TAKE TIME to level your character (if you suck like me). Unless you're twinking, it'll take forever to get any money. You'll kill snakes for the first little while (couple of hours).

5) You CAN get lost. This is the wilderness, people. I wandered over a mountain in search for skeletons and eventually ended up in a seaport, where I got my ass creamed by some Aqua Goblins because they didn't like the way I looked. I ended up deleteing that character becuase I couldn't get back there.

6) Some monsters will set up camp over your corpse. Not good if you've pissed off some baddie accidentally. Worse yet if you've got a racial/clan thing going. I've got goblins and crag chicks attacking me on sight because I've killed so many.

7) I was astonished when random people would come up to me and drop 'buffs' (ie strengthening spells, armor, etc) on me then run off before I could say thanks. It's definitely not diablo. The people there help out the newbie without being asked. Some guy gave me bandages after I went up against a toughie too soon, so I wouldn't die. Its like Diablo is PC and EQ is Mac, ya know? Very strange, takes some getting used to.

2. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    they have a new add on soon sooo it will be more fun :D

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    EQ is not 1337 :D

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    EQ probably has a lot more mudders and Diablo has more of those vindictive gamers you find in the fps multiplayers games...if you guys play/ed muds you'll know what I'm talking about.

5. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    I would rather play *gasp* Diablo 2 then play everquest

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Okay call me stupid, but this is the second post I've seen where you've said something is not 1337. Please explain.

7. Rhys

Rhys Peasant

Market Rating:
    l33t is st00p1d

A few years back it became some Quake dorks' way of saying "elite". I think they started using this dorky "code" because they didn't know how to spell certain words. I find it amusing to use this code in a tongue and cheek way.

8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Re: l33t is st00p1d

Ah, I had a feeling it was something queer like that. The operative word is "dork." (Right, Jake?:D)

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  10. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Everquest - A Different World...

Well after I did about everything I wanted in Diablo I decided that I needed a new game to occupy some time... As one who succumbed to the windows world out of pure neccessity I began hearing things about this game called Everquest... well four months and countless days (yes in Everquest it actually tells you how many DAYS your character has been around) I have a 35 Paladin that is beginning to actually begin to kill some creatures without getting brutalized in a split second... And along with Sparhawk I must agree that Everquest is a completely different beast then Diablo II ever was or will be...

For those that enjoy a simple afternoon of cruising and killing things on your own time without having to interact and just getting a quick fix this is not the game for you... There is no FPS type stimulation... No quick leveling or whirlwind type massacre... This is a game where you live and die as a group of players fighting together and using your respective classes/skills in order to achieve the absolute goal of survival... This is not about crunching numbers and figuring out mathematical statistics for rare drop rates in a Kurast or Sanc run... Most of the time there will be only one item that you seek and you will know what drops it... The hard part is getting five other souls to help you in the endevour... And that is the genius of this game... Teamwork is absolutely essential... Without it you are little more than a red splotch on the zone floor...

As Sparhawk said this is not an easy game to get used to... The manual you recieve with the game is little more than a VERY introductory footnote to the actual world... It will take you time to learn how it is played and what keys NOT to hit... The first time I tried to talk to my Class NPC I forgot to bring up the text window and hit my autoattack key by accident and was immediately slaughtered by my own Class Leader... Things like this take a bit of getting used to... It is a game of finesse not power gaming...

In the early game you learn to kill small things... Very small things... Rats Bats and Snakes (oh my!) but soon you move on to larger more intriquing creatures such as Orcs, Giant Spiders, and Bears that will all tear you apart if you aren't careful... It is when these early creatures become trivial that you begin to turn to others to help in your quest... and this is where the game begins to shine... the friends you meet and fight alongside with quickly grow into a group of people that you contact every time you log on... I have been killin things next to the same dwarven paladin for the last 20 levels and the respect we have for one another (albeit only in a gaming world) is really cool to experience...

Another thing that you soon realize is that the world of Everquest is FRICKIN HUGE!!!!!!! It takes me about 2 and a half hours of playing to run from one edge of ONE continent to another... Boat rides between continents take between 10 and 40 minutes to complete... And this is just a direct run through each area... They all have certain quests, named NPCs, Creatures, and adventures to uncover... it is and RPG of the grandest scale... and I have loved almost every minute of it...

Having said this it is also a world where people make one another comfortable... No longer do I have to flinch and reach for the esc/return combo when I hear the Hostile skull flash on my screen while playing Hardcore... If someone wants to duel me then I must accept the duel... noone will walk up to me and start whirlwinding or swearing at me in Korean (I know... bad example). Buffs and heals at no cost and with nothing expected in return is a way of life in EQ... Diablo and its continuous hostilities are a thing of the past...

Now I am not saying that I don't HIGHLY anticipate Lords of Destruction... I do... and will rejoin the fold of the Myriad when Blizzard finally gets off there arse and releases the damn thing... And I have also continued to read most of the posts here and watched this board grow into much more than a Diablo Clan meeting place... The friends I made in those months of gettin corpsed by Andariel, De Seis, Meph(not to mention Sparky and the damn Summoner... yep... he killed me the first time I ran into him in a 8ppl game) have not been forgotten and I will return and fight cows or whatever alongside you all once again... Kalgareth will return... But for now... I will continue in the world of Everquest...

Guess this should probably have gone in the Private Section... but oh well... Hope everyone is doin well and I look forward to kickin some act V butt with some of the new faces I see around here as well as the old (Heya Oni, Auto, Monk, Olon USEast RULZ !! )... Be Safe All... and Take Care

Kalgareth
    1st Priorate of the Nightstalkers
    35 Paladin of Mith Marr - Vazaelle
    85th Barb Lancerkilla of USEast

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    how's that carpol tunnel, kalg? :rolleyes:

12. Draco_Auric

Draco_Auric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Damnit!! i wanna play EQ =C

13. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    What I'd like to get is some of those heads up goggles that Turn the scene as you turn your head. Total Immersion. Sweet! :D

14. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Just get VPC and buy the game. The Game's like $14 Canadian now, as it's been out for a few years.

15. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Only if you schedule it first... :D

16. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Plus the nasty monthly fee.

17. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Everquest - A Different World...

:drool:

D2 is fun, addictive and I can't wait for D2X but what you (and Sparhawk) describe is what I've really been looking for.
    Perhaps I should do some investigating, though I don't relish the idea of going the VPC route.

See you in a few weeks Kal.

18. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Like $10 or something. $20/3 months. Not bad considering there's no lag...

19. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Ya the laglessnes (is that a word?!?!?!?) amzed me when I played it at my friends house.

I wish they could make battle.net like that :(

BTW: I'm trying to convince my dad he really needs vpc for his work (why he would I have no clue) if I'm succeful I can buy eq and use some of my allowance for the fee. Then I'll see ya guys there.

20. Rhys

Rhys Peasant

Market Rating:
    Everquest on VPC??

I highly doubt EQ will work on VPC. Isn't EQ 3D accelerated? Doesn't it take a pretty strong PC to run it? VPC is most definitely not optimal for games and there are few it will run well enough to be playable. If someone has played EQ through VPC and actually found it playable, I'd like to hear about it.

Hitometer: 53,857,389 since 1995