Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

EverQuest Next

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    https://www.everquestnext.com/

Just announced a few days ago. You can apply for the beta if you want.

Highlights:
    - System requirements unknown. Mac version unknown.

- Destructible environment. Everything can be destroyed. Though the world heals.

- Permanent changes. In addition to superficial destruction which heals back, the game will have more directed permanent changes like events where players can raise a city (or fail in doing so) resulting in differences between game servers that develop over time.

- Underground areas which you can discover by literally digging into the ground. The destructible environment allows organic and unrestricted digging for this purpose.

- Highly complex and customizable class system. New classes are discovered out in the world as you play. I have seen it said there are 40+ classes out in the world. As you discover new classes you can pick and choose what abilities you want from those classes, so the player has a great deal of control.

- No character levels. There is no vertical progression. Rather advancement in the game is in discovering new classes and therefore character combinations and play styles. The challenge of its encounters is served as a function of scale and complexity forcing players to team up and experiment with different class combinations to conquer foes and other events. Whereas in WoW you might say, "this mob is hard, we need a high level player," in EQN you would say, "this mob summons allies so we need a character with CC abilities or several characters to handle the sheer number of mobs." It very much becomes a game of strategy and team work instead of a game of overpowering your enemies. I am not sure about itemization though... that is certainly an opportunity for vertical progression. They have said that crafting will be a huge part of the game.

- Smart AI. For example, there are no fixed mob spawns in the game. Rather mobs are programmed with likes and dislikes, and the world collects information about everything. Mobs are then set loose and they find what they like. Orc raiders are given as an example. Orcs like roads that are frequented by lots of players so they can steel their gold, so Orcs roam the world looking for roads with lots of traffic which is an internal state of the road itself... the road keeps track of how many players use it and Orcs look for this. If the road becomes less traveled then Orcs take notice and might move on to a different area in search of a more desirable road. Because of this mobs will be very dynamic and responsive to player behavior.

- Similar to mob AI, the world reacts to the state of your character which is defined by choices that you make while playing, so the gaming experience will be different for every character.

- This winter (2013) they are releasing a game called EQ Landmark which will let players use the dev tools to create things in the world. The devs will then use player-created stuff in EQN when it is released. So the players get a chance to contribute to development. I am totally going to make a bridge with a gnome guardian.

- There will be a marketplace where players can sell their creations using the map dev tools. If some one buys your creation and uses it as part of their own creation, and then they sell their creation, you get royalties as a percentage of your contribution to their creation.

I will post more info as I find it.

Here is their Youtube channel with videos from the announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/user/EverQuestNext

2. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Raid encounters are said to employ the same smart AI. Bosses will adapt to your strategy instead of merely obeying threat levels.

Mining of resources will be a big part of the game. There are no resource nodes like in WoW. Rather everything in the world is a resource and is harvestable by way of the destructable voxel-based environment. Similar to how you can destroy anything, you can harvest anything.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    They are selling access to the alpha and closed beta for EQN Landmark:

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/founders-pack

Alpha = Feb 28, 2014 or sooner ($60 to buy your way in)
    Beta= Mar 31, 2014 or sooner ($20 to buy your way in)

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    advanced building tools for Landmark:

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The game is unplayable for me, but these voxel games are intensive and my PC falls below the system requirements. But lots of people are having major performance problems.

This is very much an alpha release.

11. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Optimization will come later. I wonder how much of the slowing is network, especially since it started today

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    They posted a detailed update explaining the problems. Basically there were some show-stopping bugs in the game server which have now been fixed.

The client runs better now, but it lags like crazy when I move.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Honestly, I can't blame the game. My PC is old. It's a 1.8GHz Core2 with 4GB RAM and a GeForce 8600. Lots of other people can play the game just fine, including my friend to whom I gave my login.

I have just ordered parts for a new PC. I should have that up and running next week.

In the meantime you can check out player creations on this page:

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/media/playercreations

Some good pics and vids.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Got my new PC up and running. Landmark runs great.

The building and crafting system is pretty sweet. I am just starting to build my bridge. But I am finding the resource gathering to be very tedious. And the building tools have a learning curve.

The devs have announced they intend to sell resources for real money which I disagree with strongly. People are calling this "pay to win," but the devs say the game will have a system of progression that doesn't involve resource gathering, therefore it's OK to sell resources for real money. It's always a problem when a profit model lacks a real proposition. When a game creates its own scarcity and then charges money based on that it's a problem. Even the D3 auction house had more of a proposition than this... at least that was a real service to players. And this profit model is set to be implemented in beta. This is even more inappropriate considering that Landmark itself is already a pre-release of EQN proper. To be selling an alpha of a pre-release for $60 and then monetizing it in such a way is not at all becoming.

Having said that, Landmark is made to show off the destructible environment of EQN, and I have to say that feature of the game is very cool. If EQN proper can build a good MMO around that then it will be a success.

Part of me is concerned that the monetizing of Landmark will distract from the development of EQN proper. EQN was announced 7 months ago, and so far all new information, videos, etc has been focused on Landmark and the building system. There has been nothing new about any of the promised features of EQN proper such as the multi-classing system, horizontal progression (there are no character levels), and the smart AI system. I would have expected some basic information at this point, such as naming specific classes and races that have been confirmed, but there has been nothing. Meanwhile Landmark is increasingly being treated as its own game complete with monetization.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I had to explain this to some people recently, so copy/paste here as well:

Here is the source:

https://forums.station.sony.com/lan.../the-business-of-eqn-landmark-revealed.22393/

So you can see how they are justifying their business model of selling resources. It is like I said, they justify the business model with a negative proposition (saying what progression is not).

So basically they have completely failed to justify a highly dubious business model. This combined with the complete lack of new information about EQN-proper in 10 months since its announcement paints a very obvious picture for me... they are riding the hype of EQN-proper in order to wrongly monetize the incomplete alpha that is Landmark, while they gradually shift the focus to Landmark as the real game. Did anyone else notice the new domain name?

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/home

This as opposed to the old one:

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    EQN is dead.

It was an underwhelming keynote. They showed more videos of the game. No actual gameplay.

The big takeaway for me was the overall energy of the staff who presented. There was a defensive posture from the get-go; David Georgeson started by failing to answer a telling question from the community, "When are you going to start working on EQN (as opposed to Landmark)?" Even starting with that question is horrible and acknowledges that the hype train has all but stopped. And his answer was basically an admission that Landmark is EQN which contradicts their marketing campaign which says otherwise. So you have this defensive, admissive posture from the start. Then the rest of the presentation had a distinct feeling of forced optimism, like they were trying too hard to rally people.

I see the future. The promise of EQN will fade. Landmark will take its place. And when they try to expand the scope of Landmark (beyond a building game) it will immediately fail. This will happen in one week on August 27 which is when combat is being added to Landmark.

Right now Landmark is a building game so people judge it on that basis. Once they start to add MMO features then it will be judged as a MMO and it will fail horribly. SOE will try to escape this judgment by casting Landmark as an incomplete game in development but it won't matter because they have already taken people's money which creates an expectation.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    They have begun selling cash cards for Landmark at Gamestop and Walmart. $20 buys you some Sony cash, access to Landmark, and bonus items and resources. The red card is limited edition:

gamecardbanner.png

Think about this... a limited edition $20 pay-to-win for a pre-release alpha of EQN. Buy now!

This is absurd.

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  20. Jakeman

Market Rating:

Hitometer: 53,830,691 since 1995