Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

error

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by aleldtritch, May 24, 2002.

1. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    what does "could not open image.jpg because the scratch disks are full" mean? and how can i fix it?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    it appears that the scratch disks are full :retard:... whatever that means. maybe it's talking about virtual memory? the page file and stuff? restart and see if the problem goes away (restarting will clear the virtual memory)... erm, assuming you're on OS 9.

3. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    check your HD... it may be getting full, or you may have had too many programs open when you tried to open it...

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    What program is this in? It sounds like Photoshop, or some other professional image editing program, since they all use scratch disks. Go into your preferences and make sure you don't have the scratch disk set to any kind of removable or read-only media (like zip disks or your CD drive).

--Haite

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Scratch disk is full. Normally programs use your disk as a scratch disk, type of temporary storage of data. Large multimedia programs often create very large scratch files of a gig or more if you're working with a large file or a lot.

6. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    oh wow...i started up OS X to use a program and then when i got back to 9, i tried to run photoshop and i got that message. i just checked today and i'm down to 38.5 MB :wtf:

it was 14 Gig a week ago when i installed B&W and i haven't installed anything since then.

all i did was use a program in OS X to make a 3 second movie, with 30 fps, into one one big image. i figured it would be about 10 mb or something, guess it was 13 gig...? seems like alot...and it's listed as being 0k when i look at its properties

7. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    uncompressed digital video takes up a crap load of space. i bet that's it.

Hitometer: 53,942,466 since 1995