Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

DVD dying?

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by mud, Mar 16, 2003.

1. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    When ever I start up my Mac it gets to the desktop and the DVD drive starts spinning up, it is a good 10 to 20 minutes before it loads the rest of the desktop and the CD, during that time my computer acts frozen, except I can move the mouse around. Same happens when I stick in a CD after it has already booted up, it sits thre for 10 to 20 minutes before it reads the CD and lets me do anything.

The DVD drive is the one that came with the comp more than 4 years ago. The specs are a 400MHZ G4, 384MB and OS 9.1.

This problem started only recently.

2. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    have you tried different CDs/DVDs in the drive? it might just be that the one you're using is scratched or something...

3. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    my powerbook does a similar thing :(

It started happening when I installed BG2 on it, but I'm not sure if that's what caused it. Now if I put a burned CD in my drive, it goes bonkers. It takes about 20 minutes of rebooting to get my drive to come back up, and sometimes the discs spin up real bad. Sometimes even spitting them out. It's calmed down now that I don't take my CD out at all (d2 just stays in my drive, mostly because I hate dealing with putting anything else in), but sometimes it'll still act up.

I've wiped my harddrive twice and I'm planning on buying a DVD-CDRW drive for my powerbook, once we have the extra money.

4. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Every disc.

5. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    I hate when ppl tell you to try a different cd/dvd
    You'd think everyone here would have thought off that too before hand?

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    you would be amazed at the number of "broken" computers I have fixed by simply checking to make sure the power cord was plugged in (it wasn't). Obvious fixes always come first.

Hitometer: 53,946,722 since 1995