Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

drives - firewire and internal

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Peadur, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    so speaking about drives... well I was speaking about them... my 10 g on my iMac is too small and it whines. Sooooo my questions are as follows.

1) is it crazy expensive and/or difficult to put a new hard drive in an iMac and put the old one in a fire wire enclosure? If it's doable, what is a good brand hard drive to put into an iMac, and where do I get a firewire enclosure

2) if it's too much a pain to deal that way, then I'll just get an external fire drive. Does anyone know the scoop on them? I'm familliar with the quality and durability of LaCie, but they are EXPENSIVE! My bro just got an 80gig maxtor, which was much cheeper, but he had some big probs with it and then had to send him another one. Is maxtor PeeCee like (cheep in price and quality)? Are there other brands that are better?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Internal HD on slot loading iMacs means -> about 18 screws, bottom plastic cover, metal shielding plate, whole assy for HD and CD comes out, the IDE cable and RAM chips sometimes get in the way. It's doable, but time consuming if you haven't done it before.

I have always used Maxtor HDs, they work fine. I heard the firewire maxtors have problems though. My dad has a Lacie firewire that works great, a little slower than might be expected though.

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    LaCie firewire drives are extremely fast... (at least the 30GB pocketdrive is)

4. Rhys

Rhys Peasant

Market Rating:
    maxtor or ibm for 7200rpm drives

I've had great luck with both maxtor and ibm, make sure you get the 7200rpm EIDE drives though.

I don't know who makes the best enclosures to put your old drive into though.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have a 7200RPM Maxtor in my new PC, the thing is stealth quiet and very fast.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've been wanting to get a firewire enclosure for my drive, but they'll still pretty expensive. 200 bucks just for an ATA - Firewire adapter? I could buy another drive for that price.

Hitometer: 53,558,881 since 1995