Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

does safari still suck?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I haven't used it since version 1.0 and it was horrible back then. Now I am hearing about version 3 for both Mac and Windows.

Has it improved? I mean by a lot.

2. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Try it and find out. We can't tell you whether or not you'll like it.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I wasn't asking about personal preference. I guess it's hard to generate an objective list of improvements without an official changelog which I can't find.

I don't like installing Apple products without a good reason (e.g. it has improved a lot and is better than FF) because of all the little hooks and inroads their software makes into the system. I am very careful about all software that I install.

4. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    AFAIK, the only Windows product by Apple that does that sort of undesirable behaviour is QT, and you have the option of downloading Safari without it.

Benchmarks show that it's one of the fastest browsers around, much faster than IE and FF. I haven't installed the Windows version yet but I've heard from a couple of people that have that the benchmarks are accurate. Beyond that, it's got your regular tabbed browsing, but now the tabs are 100% movable, for rearranging, moving between different windows, and into new windows entirely. Firefox-style find as well.

5. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I just installed the beta on my Mac - so far so good. Specific improvements from 1.0? I don't remember what 1.0 was like anymore, so I can't help there. I have firefox installed as well, but use Safari 95%+ of the time.

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Jake, yes.. it has improved dramatically since it's initial release. I don't have a list of the changes made, but it's much faster than original version, doesn't hang up as it used to, etc...

I would download and install and try it out if you're interested. As far as I know, it doesn't penetrate system wide, but I am not that fluent in backdoor abilities of software...

7. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    I must be in some sort of Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field powered zone, but not one single Apple product or software item I have used with my PC has caused any problem. This new Safari is no different, super fast load times, everything works, and the new search is actually nicer than FF's in that it dims the rest of the page slightly and 'Orange blob's your searched word when it has focus and grey blocks other results until they are your focus. Has a small issue with searching text in text, like what I am typing now will not be searched till I post it, but a minor thing really.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Thread about it on vbulletin.com:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232911

The lead developer for vBulletin, Kier, has never been a fan of Safari from a web development standpoint. His opinion carries weight with me. He posted a couple times in that thread and didn't have good stuff to say.

9. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Wait, so you are saying that he hated it from the start, but due to the fact that he still hates it (which seems arbitrary from the sounds of it) you don't want to try it? Its a small download and easy to remove if you don't like it. Form your own opinion from trying it!

Edit: Also...do these people even know what they are talking about??? "I personally don't like the look of the Mac Aqua theme"... What Aqua theme? Its brushed metal and has nothing at all to the look of Aqua.

Edit edit: Also that Wayne Luke guy is blind and stupid. There was an option for Safari w/o Quicktime right there... like 3mm below the Safari w/ Quicktime option. "Duurrr I no see options! I just blindly click OK... DIS MEAN APPLE MAEK VIRUS-LIK PROGGAMS! RARR RAAAR!" hahah

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  10. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I didn't see the "blurry" text either. I saw a different looking font - which is easily changed to whatever you want.

I've been using the new Safari on my Mac since it came out - with no problems yet. Online banking even works.

I'm gonna have to get a copy of Windows one of these days to use in parallels/boot-camp so I can see how that works. Maybe. ;)

11. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    It basically sounds like they don't like it from a subjective (interface is terrible) perspective. Wayne sounds like a Windows homer to me. In the end, there's no reason to switch to Safari if you are happy using Firefox or IE or Opera anyway.

12. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, apart from the fact that Safari's much faster at page rendering.

I wouldn't install Safari if you're running Vista, apparently they don't co-operate very well. It's happy as a clam on XP though.

13. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    What non-Microsoft programme (British spelling incorporated) ISN'T having compatability problems with Vista? ;)

14. Wiezzen

Wiezzen Peasant

Market Rating:
    I used Safari a while ago, it doesn't "suck" and it has improved alot. However, my personal preference tells me to stay with Internet Explorer v7.

Hitometer: 53,564,521 since 1995