Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Do priests have a hard time leveling?

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by Scorpion, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I started my paladin almost the same time as Goire and now I'm about to hit level 28. I probably play more but I'm only playing 2-4 hours a day and I'm really ahead. I even passed Venn and I remember him being level 24 when I was only level 7. I'm thinking that paladins have a much easier time killing and finishing quests since I have no downtime whatsoever cause I'm focused on melee damage and can heal myself. I'm only using mana for healing and buffing so that might be a benefit. Warriors have trouble since they have to eat to heal and most other classes need downtime for mana recharge ( priests, mages, warlocks). I don't know how fast hunters can level but a paladin sure has a lot of advantages. I hardly die cause I can cast Divine Protection and Blessing of Protection when I can't handle a mob. Also got Stun and Blessing of Freedom when I need to run away.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    It seems like Venn is always trying to do red quests which isn't good for leveling. I'm not sure about Goire.

3. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Nerf paladins. hehe

4. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Paladins are quite good. Only duels I've ever lost to so far is against a higher level paladin. Stun makes it so that ranged classes can't run. Blessing of Protection + Divine Protection = 16 secs of immunity against all attacks. Heal when you need to keep health above 50%. Concentration + Spiritual Focus so that casting can't be interrupted. Seal of Crusader for 40% faster attack + bonus attack damage. Improved armor + defense + 5% extra parry chance. Bonus attack for 8 sec after doing a critical hit which usually leads to another critical hit. ;)

5. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Paladins are the strongest class in the game right now I believe. Next are shadow priests I think, from what I read. Warriors are screaming for attention right now. Hunters have a lot of bugs that need to be worked on, mages are.......well they are mages (badass). Druids seem pretty balanced, havent read much on them in the forums.

Jakeman likes this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Honestly, I have a Tauren Warrior over on Sargaras and I think its pleanty playable right now.

7. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    I think they are just saying that they are not capable of doing much damage later in the game. Blizzard has said as well that they are one of the classes they are looking to powerup in the upcoming patches. Well according to the forum mods anyways.

8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Whenever there is another patch...

9. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    From what I gather, priests was pretty strong, but they nerfed it about 3 to 4 times, that's all you hear on priests forum, how blizzard sucks for nerfing them.

Anyway, pass certain lvl priests gets easy cause they are really spell dependend and when you' 2 lvls before you get the next rank spell, you have to fight high lvl mob with low rank spells, that slows you down.

btw, I have a lvl 19 warlock, a lvl 12 mage a lvl 7 rogue and a lvl 9 hunter, yeah, I don't lvl that fast :) oops forgot the lvl 25 priest that one is pretty important.

from all these classes this is what I gather:

Paladin, no doubt the strongest, I get saved by them many times, and from watching you play, there doesn't seem to be much running from a fight like a my priest do.

Mage, if you watch around you for mobs coming from behind, you canusually solo a high lvl mob only being hit once or twice. but you do take time for drinking.

I feel pretty bored by the hunter, shoot 3 times and use your dagger.

Warlock is a lot more technical, quite hard after you just played a priest, cause you expect to shield and heal, but you can, cept sacrificing your summon for a shield.

Rogues are fun, you move around: it's like driving a manual car, and the do good dmg to advance fast.

Conclusion, yes pally are easy build, they have healing for themselves and they have the man power a priest don't, priest are good for group healing.

Jakeman likes this.
  10. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    I would like to defend hunters.........but i cant. It gets better once you hit level 10 and can train pets. To many bugs though that really screw us. If you are not careful about what you do then you are running around very underpowered.

11. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Priests are just as strong as a pally. As I posted earlier somewhere, I saw a lvl 40 priest fight an elite ogre of the same level or 1-2 levels higher. Instead of being a caster, the guy went melee and used Shadow DOTs. With PW:Shield and Healing, I only saw him heal himself once. I think mages should do basically the same thing because I found out that staffs does do a lot of dmg melee and with a mana shield a mage can last just as long. Mages can just specialize in one of the instant cast spells of a tree for faster dmg while smashing away. I also notice that there are quite a few staffs out there that give a chance to stun on hit so it's like stun, spell, spell, smack, smack, stun, etc.

12. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:

Question raised here is lvling speed: priest are very slow, and they tend to die easily so you waste time running to your corpse. They are too spell dependent. Pallies are like Shamens, medium in both melee andhealing magics.

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's what I'm saying. Don't just use spells but use melee as primary attack and shadow DOTs to help kill faster.

14. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    After some quite extensive solo testing I've come up to a conclusion.

the guy you saw did not only use DOT plus melee because:

1) 2 lvl above you resists your wand and dodge your staff about 50% of the time.

2) There is only 1 spell DOT, and that's pain which deals 39 dmg per 3 seconds at rank 4, which is practically nothing.

you might have seen him using mind blast which is a fast cast high dmg spell that is cast the same way as the DOT spell.

Until you reach a certain lvl to get the last shadow talent your shadow don't offer as much dmg as mage does.

Right now, the maximum I get, at lvl 33, with a critical cast of mind blast is about 265, and let's ask our mages: what is your maximum dmg, whatever spell at critical at lvl 33.

Doing a comparision between spell and melee (Even with 2 weapons), alternating smite(holy) and mind blast (shadow) under the shield effect gives the best killing rate. There are spells to increase your spirit after a kill, so you get your mana back pretty fast with a drink.

So conclusion, no I do not believe you that you saw a priest taking on an elite 2 lvl above him/her, I can't even take on a hammer guy in the stockade with my staff.

Jakeman likes this.
  15. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well I watch the battle the whole time he was fighting and he only used Shadow Word: Pain and his staff. I killed twice as fast being a mage that's 4 lvls higher than the mob but I watched and he only casted healing spells when his life was half-way gone. Staff actually have pretty good dmg plus if you have +str items instead of +int items you'll do more dmg per sec than just a staff. I didn't look what he was wearing but I was close enough to know that he wasn't casting any spells on the mob except for Pain. His mana bar only went down when casted Pain or Heal other than that it never moved except up.

16. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    how can you see his mana bar?

17. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    Honestly, I didn't use anything to pump my dex and str, but those are rare to find on cloth bases stuffs.

But there if your mage does 4 times faster, then it proves my point that we lvl really really really really (I said 4 times right?) slow.

18. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well you can't compare melee to magic. Mages and Rogues kill the fastest of all the classes with mage having massive dmg spells and rogues super fast attack speed. Melee only does half of what a mage spell can do but the downside is that spells require mana and you get some downtime to recharge. Otherwise both should have the same kill ratio timewise. However, I mentioned that I was 4 lvls higher than the mob whereas the priest player was 1-2 lvls below. That's a 5-6 lvl difference and I was killing only 2-3 times faster.

BTW you can watch a player's health/mana/rage/etc. bar if you click on them (the player that is). You can tell if and when they're using techniques that require the usage of their class skill.

19. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    you can heal mana pretty fast with those drinks, I mean jake don't spend more than 15 seconds each time. besides, if you melee (say rogue) you have to eat anyways, so there's still sitting down time. It's not like diablo where you just kill non stop.

20. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    All rogues should go first aid. That's what I did, being able to use first aid while running was awesome, they fixed that though :(

Hitometer: 53,936,029 since 1995