Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Dire Maul - mage questions

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Lurk, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    In the meantime, me and my level 17 mage will be piddling around in Westfall...

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Lurk, if are on this weekend than I can help you level.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Cool, I should be around. Could use some mage tips too. For example, for planning purposes, is it better for a fire mage to give up Combustion to get Presence of Mind? Don't have to make the decision just yet, only thinking ahead.

Except for one or two Longshore quests, I've think I've done most of the quests in Westfall that don't involve the Deadmines. Trying to get to level 20 so I can go in there without being a total aggro magnet. Hit 18 last night questing in Loch Modan.

If nothing else, keep using the guild chat to describe your adventures in Dire Maul, etc. I enjoy living vicariously through all of you while I level. :)

BTW, I know Aeschylus and others are making good progress, but I'm willing to take on a priest too as a backup if we ever decide to have a power levelling session for clan priests.

4. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Depends on what type of mage you want. Combustion would give you an instant crit that you can control while PoM would give you an instant spell that you can control. PoM is great if you plan on doing any PvP, Combustion is good for AoE but only if you use Blastwave with it. Personally, I would go with PoM since you have a base % to crit anyways not to mention that you have a 21% chance to crit with Flamestrike in order to get Blastwave and Combustion route. The amount of Int you have also contributes to % crit so fire mages can get up to 29% crit(21 from talent, 4.8 base for mage, 2.2 if you have 220 Int) without having any crit gears. Combustion just ensures that you crit and nothing more. So as a fire/arcane mage, you can do Blastwave and then PoM + Flamestrike for better AoE since you have 2 instant AoE spells instead on having to wait for Flamestrike to cast. Also works great with Pyroblast because Pyro has a 6 sec cast time and PoM eliminates the cast time to make it an instant spell. In PvP situation, you can sheep, back up, cast fireball then a PoM Pyroblast which results in almost 2000 dmg not to mention the stacked DoT dmg (new through patch). Or better yet if you put pts in Improved Scorch, you can Scorch them a couple times before you cast your fireball + PoM'ed Pyro combo. That 2% increase in fire dmg would make a big difference in PvP situations. This was my old build before I switched over to Frost for AoE.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
    Jakeman likes this.
  5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've been reading about Imp. Scorch on the forums. Seems to get mixed reviews. People aren't sure yet if it's worth giving up anything from the "standard" build to get it.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Personally I don't think it is. Five points is a lot to invest for such small returns. You have to spend the mana and time casting scorch five times to get the 10%. So the target would have to have a lot of hitpoints to make it worth casting that instead of a couple fireballs.

It takes 7.5 seconds to cast five scorches yielding 10% improved damage yet if you spend that time casting fireballs/fireblast that would give you two fireballs and two fireblasts which translates to about 1,600 damage. Which means to make it worthwhile the mob would have to have 16,000 hitpoints.

Jakeman likes this.
  7. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    How did you figure 2 fireball + 2 fireblast? Unless you're doing Blast, fBall, fball, Blast which still is more than 7.5 secs since you have to wait .5 sec for till you can cast something else after you do a Blast. And ideally you shouldn't be doing 5 Scorch in a row, more like Scorch, Scorch, Scorch, Blast, Scorch, Scorch, Fball, Blast or something resembling this. You're just using scorch as a alternate to Fball and for the bonus. Probably best is if you're an Arcane/Fire type. With PoM you can scorch 2-4 times and then Activate AP then PoM a Pyroblast since Pyro is the most fire spell, getting an extra 10% is really great in PvP.
    I also think that they had 'Raid' in mind when they improve scorch.Since in a 'Raid' (for honor pts of course) you have about 50 targets to attack and you hardly have time to get out of battle, Scorch would be ideal. You won't see any mage casting Blastwave unless they're the last one standing or is completely overwhelmed. Most of the time all I see is quick/instant spells and sometimes AoE spells in 'Raids'. AE became almost useless since you'll only get at most 3 off before they kill you.

Jakeman likes this.
  8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Blast wave is good since it's an instant. I toss it in even when fighting single mobs since I can cast it without waiting if my health is drying up.

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sure try that in a Raid. See if you last more than 5 sec.

10. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    There is no need to taunt eachother. You gave him your advice, and I gave you positive rep for that. He can either follow your advice or not.

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    PvP and PvE are two different things. As you can see I was talking about PvE.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Guess you'll find out the hard way once you hit lvl 45+. Unless, of course, you're only killing 3-5 guys and calling that AoE'ing. To that I'll say "Meh".

Just to give you an idea, Jaden was killing about 7-10 lvl 45 guys when he was lvl 52. I can kill 15-20 guys that are only 2-3 lvls lower than me (if I can gather them since people just like picking off my targets). I have yet to see a mage that uses fire to AoE except when they are grouped with a healer. I've only seen Warlocks AoE with fire since they got a pet to hold aggro for them.

13. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    That will be enough of the petty bickering. Let it be known that this guild does not require its members to play their classes a certain way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Hitometer: 53,936,152 since 1995