Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

diablo 3 beta app

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    If you have been following the game then you probably already know. Blizzard is asking all interested players to update their system specs:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27822632904&sid=3000

I hope I get into the beta this time. I have never once been accepted into a Blizzard closed beta in 15 years.

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    done. I will be building a computer soon, but I'm still saving the money for it.

3. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Also done.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I didn't get in the beta, but my friend did. I played the beta for about 2 hours. Almost made it to the end. I played a Wizard.

The game played me more than I played it. Everything in the game is very leading. You don't have to think or do anything other than kill stuff. The map tells you where to go and what to do. You don't have to understand the quest objectives, just go where the map tells you and click what it tells you. You don't have to think about skill or stat points. You don't have to return to town for any reason other than to turn in quests. No penalty for death. No downtime. You barely have to stop for mana.

Playing the game felt no different than watching videos of people playing. It's like watching TV. It's that same level of engagement. The most engaging thing was wrestling with the skill slots (a common complaint among players).

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2514-The-opening-ceremony-has-begun.

From blizzcon, via mmo-champion:

Considering many players plan to replace WoW with D3, this is effectively a preorder scam. This is a first for Blizzard. They have never tried to capitalize on preorders before.

6. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    Blizzard sent out 100,000 more betas at the beginning of the month.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4387510/100000_Diablo_III_Beta_Invites-2_2_2012#blog

Do you think this will be part of the full game? They might still have a "hardcore" mode that removes the dumbed-down elements.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I still didn't get in.

The dumbed down stuff is fundamental to the game. They can't fix that with hardcore mode.

8. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    Oh. I haven't played at all, so I guess I'll have to play it to see what you mean. This does not bode well.

9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    The GF got a beta invite. I promptly ninja'd it onto my machine. :drevil:

I've been playing for 2 days, mostly as a Wizard, some as a Witch Doctor. I'll probably roll up a Barbarian next just to see how similar he feels to the D2 version.

Anyway, if I may interject some optimism here, the game IS fun. There's a lot that fans of the franchise will like. Combat is very much the same old clicky goodness it always was, just with new effects. With that said, there's a lot of... different. That's not to say it's necessarily bad, just different.

First let me say that visually, it looks fantastic, even on minimum settings. A run of the mill machine should do just fine with it. Surpassed my expectations here.

Jake is right, the game is very leading. The best comparison I can think of is Final Fantasy XIII, where you follow a pre-defined path through every stage, something that wasn't true of earlier FF games. This was one of the biggest criticisms of FF13, and I will say that D3 shares it to some extent. The dungeon levels are a bit more randomized, but the outdoor zones are pretty much static with only one way to go at any given time. I suppose you could make the argument that the big rectangular outdoor areas of D2 were also largely static, but I know some liked the exploration aspect there. Whether the rest of the game is similarly leading, or only the portion in the beta, remains to be seen.

The beta is very easy. This I think is by design, as we are only seeing the early portions of Act I, Normal difficulty. Blizzard has promised the difficulty will ramp up considerably through Nightmare, Hell and finally Inferno difficulty, although this too, remains to be seen.

Skill trees are gone (you get skills at predefined clvls). Flexible stat assignments are gone (your stats auto level). I kinda miss the former, but I don't miss the latter at all. It's not like there was a lot of strategy to stat assignment in D2: get enough secondary stats to wear your favorite gear, then pump your primary stat. Trust me, this is not a great loss. Stats do show up on gear, so this will be the only way of boosting key stats beyond the defaults. Again, Blizz has said your gear choices in later difficulties, especially Hell and Inferno, will be meaningful.

Multiplayer is fun. No shared drops is AWESOME. (sorry Auto)

Final verdict at the end of the day though, like I said at the beginning: the game is fun. The Wizard is a blast. I'll likely play through the beta with all 5 classes, although as always I'm partial to the magic classes.

10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    They made it harder than I remember. But it still doesn't appeal to me very much. Diablo 2 is a better game.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, D2 is classic that's going to be tough to beat. I still play D2, and D1 for that matter, from time to time.

But I'll give D3 a chance. I'm getting it free since I took the AP offer.

I've played all classes except Monk. Barbarian is very similar to the D2 version. The Demon Hunter felt overpowered in a Burizon kind of way.

Wizard is fun but I miss the classic Diablo spell lineup. I don't understand why the Shock Pulse spell isn't named Charged Bolt, because that's what it is. Shock Pulse and Spectral Blade seem redundant, they are both short range frontal AOE spells. Although since Spectral Blade is based on weapon damage it would encourage Wizards to equip big damage melee weapons. Once Shock Pulse picked up the Explosive Bolt rune at clvl 9, it felt overpowered, at least for the beta content.

Witch Doctor is somewhat amusing, throwing jars of spiders at enemies made me giggle for some reason. I didn't play him very long but I'll be curious to see what he does at higher levels in the full game.

13. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Having now played retail into Nightmare, I'm starting to reverse my thinking on this point. I miss the skill trees even less now, but I'm coming to realize being able to allocate stat points served a very important purpose in D2, related to the itemization. On the face it didn't seem like a big loss at first, but I'm seeing now that it's a symptom of larger issues.

With D3's bland itemization model, there's no need for flexible stat assignments. I don't mind such a scheme in WoW, it makes sense there. In D3, it's probably going to kill the replayability for me. There's no real incentive to keep playing once you've seen all the content.

It's too bad, too, because there's a lot of potential. It's a good game that's just missing on being great. D2 and D2X went through a lot of iterations before they got the items right, it's possible D3 will get there. But they'd have to consider changing some of the core aspects of the game, which they probably aren't willing to do.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I am told the end game in D3 isn't items... it is beating inferno which is supposed to be impossible. Seems like a strange idea for a treadmill, setting it to impossible difficulty and expecting players will keep trying. I expect inferno will be nerfed eventually thereby undermining the end game model. Of course some early overpowered builds were able to beat inferno before those builds were nerfed, thereby giving them exclusive access to a supply of high level items. This is a major problem in the context of the auction house.

Reports on the game have failed to impress me thus far, so I will not be buying D3.

15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    What I've read is that the boss battles are quite beatable in Inferno. It's the wandering Elite and Champion packs that are brutal. The early builds that "beat" Inferno did so by stunning and running, only killing what was absolutely necessary to advance.

16. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    The only thing that really bothers me about the game so far is it doesn't seem to be balanced for co-op play. Granted, I've only played through the regular difficulty level so far, but I did the second half of Act III and all of Act IV with a mage and we just steam rolled everything. To me, solo play was a lot more fun and challenging.

Of course, I had a similar problem with Borderlands. You get four players together and it doesn't matter how much "harder" the mobs get in the game, you're going to destroy everything in your path.

I'm also not one to really worry about infinite item customization and 37,000 different builds for each class -- to me that's just confusing and muddies up the nuts and bolts of a game. Give me good game play, a good story arch, and good, playable character classes.

17. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I don't mind the skill/rune system so much. In reality it gives a lot more choice than the D2 system did. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

I think the game play is very good. The boss fights have mechanics to overcome, and even regular mobs require some skillful play and crowd control over just spamming your favorite attack.

The story is exceedingly lame, shallow, and predictable, as is the cheesy dialogue. I called the "surprise" plot twist in the story about halfway through Act II, including who was involved, and I hadn't spoiled it by looking it up. (Speaking of Act II, was anyone really surprised at who Belial was? He might as well have been wearing a neon sign on his head.)

18. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, no, that was no surprise at all who Belial was.

And yeah, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen with the soulstone.

I did enjoy Act IV, thought it was pretty cool.

And after playing through some of Nightmare difficulty now, I'm now starting to feel the "Diablo challenge" I've been wanting all through the first play through.

p.s. I wish there were a lot more side quests than there are in the game. It's one of the things I liked about the first Diablo that there were just tons and tons of side quests which forced you to search every inch of every level. I mean, it's still beneficial to do that, but now it doesn't feel necessary.

19. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    There are some. It was cool to find the Necromancer in Act II even though his quest was quite easy.

20. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    So, Lurk, what's your battletag? Mine is Ashkii#1633

Hitometer: 53,846,664 since 1995