Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Debating buying WoW

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by MisterHalleck, Mar 25, 2005.

1. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm being pressured on many sides to paly WoW. On that note, I figured there's no point in playing a time-expensive character and wasting effort on crappy skills. How does this sound for a Priest build?

Discipline Talents (21 points)

# Unbreakable Will - 5/5 points
    Increases your chance to resist Stun, Fear, and Silence effects by 15%.

# Martyrdom - 2/2 points
    Gives you a 100% chance to gain the Focused Casting effect that lasts for 6 seconds after being the victim of a critical strike. The Focused Casting effect prevents you from losing casting time when taking damage.

# Improved Power Word: Fortitude - 2/2 points
    Increases the effect of your Power Word: Fortitude spell by 30%.

# Improved Power Word: Shield - 1/3 point
    Reduces the duration of your Power Word: Shield's Weakened Soul effect by 5 seconds.

# Mental Agility - 5/5 points
    Reduces the mana cost of your instant cast spells by 10%.

# Mental Strength - 5/5 points
    Increases your maximum Mana by 10%.

# Inner Focus - 1/1 point
    When activated, reduces the Mana cost of your next spell by 100% and increases its critical effect chance by 25% if it is capable of a critical effect.

Holy Talents (30 points)

# Holy Specialization - 5/5 points
    Increases the critical effect chance of your Holy spells by 5%.

# Spiritual Healing - 5/5 points
    Increases the amount healed by your healing spells by 10%.

# Inspiration - 5/5 points
    Increases your target's armor value from items by 25% for 15 seconds after getting a critical effect from your Flash Heal, Heal, Greater Heal, or Prayer of Healing spell.

# Subtlety - 1/5 point
    Reduces the threat generated by your healing spells by 4%.

# Improved Healing - 5/5 points
    Reduces the Mana cost of your Lesser Heal, Heal, and Greater Heal spells by 15%.

# Improved Flash Heal - 2/2 points
    Gives you a 70% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while casting Flash Heal.

# Improved Prayer of Healing - 2/2 points
    Reduces the Mana cost of your Prayer of Healing spell by 20%.

# Master Healer - 5/5 points
    Reduces the casting time of your Heal and Greater Heal spells by 0.5 seconds.

2. Succubi

Succubi MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Wow, you really have planned this out lol

3. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Looks fine to me but I havent played a priest. I know we are still in dire need of them, and warriors.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think it is important for every priest build to have 5 points in this. I haven't played a priest, but I imagine this is important.

5. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I missed that. It is very important cosidering how much aggro heal spells build. Without the full five points you will probably stay dead most of the time when you are in groups.

6. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    healing spells generate lots of aggro? really...

a friend of mine told me to go almost exclusively Shadow, because pure-healers can't solo. Advice?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  7. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Healing causes more aggro than anything in the game. You will need all 5 pts in Subtlety for sure. When I'm in the elite instances, once our healers cast a healing spell, the mobs almost always go right for them. The tanks try to get aggro off the healers by every means possible and the only way the mobs would stop attacking the healer is if the healer just stand there doing nothing for a few seconds. I found that running isn't an option in the elite instances as it makes it harder for the tanks to get aggro off you. Usually what I do when I get aggro is just cast my shield and stop casting spells for a bit.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    ...and pure shadow priests can't group. ;)

It's a trade off. I will be going tri-spec with a full discipline tree to try to find a compromise. My tentative group-oriented disc build looks like this:

My tentative hybrid group / solo build looks like this (taking 6 points from disc and putting into shadow):

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Shadow is good if you're gonna only be solo'ing the game. When you go into instances (which can't be solo'd unless you're at least 20 levels higher than the instance is intended for) , you'll find that you'll be converted to healing since the only spells worth casting is Shadow Word: Pain. Mobs in instances are really stong and if they start attacking you, you won't be doing anything except healing yourself because it usually takes them only a few hits to kill you. Remember that casters have the worse armor in the game and you won't survive very long once they start pounding you. I find that healers usually stay as far away from the group as possible to heal so that when they do get aggro, they could stop healing for a bit until the aggro is off them.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    This talent helps that a lot:

It makes the Inner Fire spell give like 1500 armor to the caster.

11. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Whoopee. So instead of having 1000 armor, you get 2500 armor. That'll save you if the mob didn't crit you otherwise you'll still die in 5-6 hits in one of the elite instances and with a group of them that means survival time is around 4 seconds instead of 3.5 seconds once you aggro a group of mobs. In instances like Stratholm, when you aggro 1 undead, you'll see 7-9 more following him. Also armor means nothing when you aggro a caster not to mention a group with 2-3 casters. You'll see what I mean once you go in Stratholm and the North DM instance. I haven't been to the other elite instances yet but I'd imagine they're pretty much the same.

But I agree with Jake, you will need all those points in Subtlety.

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The disc priests on the WoW forums think more highly of Inner Fire than you do. I don't know because I don't have a disc priest yet.

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well when you make your priest, let me know how well it works for you.

14. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I was looking on the skill builder... Holy Nova is an ultimate but it only does like 90 damage. what gives?

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Area of effect spells always do beans for damage since they have the potential to hit tons of guys all at once.

16. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    oh... ok.

How much need does the clan have for a Human sword-warrior? I'm debating that one too.

17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Haite made a warrior recently. Not sure what kind. Another warrior couldn't hurt.

18. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    1h weapon/shield, Protection-based build. Not sure what class of weapon - it depends what drops. I'll probably end up with maxed out skills for swords, axes, and maces.

19. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    i'm sure you've researched the crap out of this, but the protection tree doesnt have anything to offer besides last stand and concussion blow. my warrior has been level 60 since very early january, and i've tried a ton of talent builds (next respec is 45 gold. wee!) i keep going back to arms/fury because nothing else really works in all situations.

20. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I'm on a PvE server, so rule PvP out for now. I'll respec for battlegrounds. Also consider that the main party role of a warrior is to tank. Party play (tanking), and general PvE prowess. This is the build I'm looking at:

Arms/Fury works best in PvP since it's very crit-oriented, but do you have the survivability in instances that I'm looking for? I know a crit build would have its advantages to aggro generation, but I'm expecting to reside in defensive stance most of the time...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005

Hitometer: 54,382,279 since 1995