Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

DC++

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaeric, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok...so here's the deal. At my U we have a hub designated for just students who live in the dorms (have to register and get a password and such). Now we (my room mates and I) have been using it for various means and recently a mass email was sent out by some head at IT saying that the Hub isn't run my anyone at the U but some company in california and they would prosecute anyone who break copyright...blah blah blah. Now, and Jake don't go deleting this right away, but what would you guys say is realistic chance of getting caught for this? Can the university monitor everything we do, all traffic that goes through their network? I don't use it all that often, but the concern is still there. I understand that we are not allowed to talk about such things...so if you read this and have an answer for me please PM.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    The risk comes when you are not anonymous. If other people know you are on the hub, then you are vulnerable.

Regarding traffic monitoring and other means of tracking, that is a risk, but not a very big one IMO. Most people don't care enough to go through the trouble unless you are the center of some huge hub with 20 terabytes of illegal files... like those busts you read about every now and then.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nice text block.

Also if the university says don't do it then don't do it unless you feel like being kicked out.

4. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think the block just has a nicer feel aesthetically than paragraph form...

and noted...

thanks

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    umm, I may be out of it or something, but what the hell are you talking about?

You're stating that your University has a hub (which is run by an outside vendor)... that will prosecute whatever. If you're a student and have a password, why are you worried? Are you downloading software and copyrighted material and all that? Or, are you hacking into the hub to do other "things"?

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    DC++ is a peer-to-peer client. No doubt there are intellectual property violations involved, as with all p2p networks.

7. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    it's like kazaa, but only certain people are allowed to trade within our certain group. Yes, you could download copyrighted materials (movies, music, programs, etc.)

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    But you're using university bandwidth.

9. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    um....yes

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    ahh... I see....
    :sass: :shake: :sass:

11. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Monitoring that is so easy it's not even funny. The thing is most IT guys sympathize because they're nerds too.

Hitometer: 53,849,171 since 1995