Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Damn Blizzard!

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Haite, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    This sword would have otherwise been sweet, take a close look...

--Haite

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Ugh, **** Windows and it's IE integration, I click post reply, and while it's uploading I double click an image, which opens in the same IE window, so the message posted without the attachmentt. Well, here it is...

--Haite

Attached Files:

3. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    You could probably trade that to a collector for a hefty trade price. ethereal uniques are quite rare.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    hehe.... nice, but ethereal....

What was Blizzard thinking when they created ethereals? Ethereal items should be ultra devastating weapons or armor that you save and use in special circumstances, not plain old Mundane things, and definately not Uniques...

A uniques is supposed to be the same thing ovwer and over, but sometimes an ethereal mod slips in there.....

5. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    If it's any comfort, I consider Bloodletter to be the 2nd worst exceptional unique 1-h sword available (Blade of Ali Baba is much worse). On the other hand, it's not bad, and for a level 30 character that damage is quite acceptable.

You could always toss it on a Normal difficulty act 5 merc. (items on mercs never lose durability)

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Oh I don't know, in the last few weeks I've gotten an etherial Magefist, Steelclash, and Gravepalm, and I was in a game where someone got an etherial Boneflesh. Nothing overly useful in that bunch, except for maybe the Magefist, but etherial uniques don't seem all that rare to me.

It'll be just my luck to get a good exceptional unique and it'll end up being etherial.

7. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    got ethereal treads once, sold them for 450.

Olon, would you mind providing more info on why Bloodletter and SoAB "suck".

I have both at the moment and have my own opinions as to where they are weak, I'd like to hear yours. Of course, I haven't looked at the other 1h exceptional uniques recently, so once I do that the answer could be self-evident. I'm just comparing them with the other 1h weapons I have in my posession.

8. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    you'll wish you hadn't asked...

Well, there's only 8 exceptional unique 1-handers, and all of them are probably better than the crap rares that would drop for mid level melee chars these days (i.e. with reqs around lvl 30 - good damage mods like "kings" have been raised to lvl 50 or so). My main reason for disliking those two is their poor base speeds. After reading that "Eureka!" post on lurkerlounge about weapon speed, my main realization was that it is much easier to get the fastest possible attack with a fast base speed weapon type with no IAS and some IAS gear than with an IAS slow base speed weapon type and tons of IAS gear.

Here's my rankings:

#1. Ginther's rift Dimensional Blade (109 avg. 0 base speed 30 IAS) - good damage, good IAS, and Magic Damage Reduced by 20 is just godly (I used to drool over MDR -4). 155 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (45 IAS with max fanat)

#2. Headstriker Battle Sword (63-112 avg. based on clevel. 0 base speed no IAS) - good damage, prevent monster heal is handy too. 155 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (45 IAS with max fanat)

#3. Plague Bearer Rune Sword (92.5 avg. -10 base speed no IAS) - good damage, good base speed, cute poison damage that could actually get good with a p.emerald and some charms. 110 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (30 IAS with max fanat)

#4. Hexfire Shamshir (81.5 avg. -10 base speed no IAS) - good damage, good base speed, ignores target defense. 110 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (30 IAS with max fanat)

#5. The Atlantean Ancient Sword (88 avg. 0 base speed no IAS) - good damage, +2 paladin skills, other stuff. 155 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (45 IAS with max fanat)

#6. Coldsteel Eye Cutlass (43.5 avg. -30 base speed no IAS) - crap damage... BUT 50% chance crushing blow, slows target by 30%, hit blinds target. (I've been using this on my frenzy barb from lvl 31 to lvl 71 - addicted to those nifty mods and his other sword is an "honor" phaseblade so the net frenzy damage is ok) 55 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (5 IAS with max fanat)

#7. Bloodletter Gladius (75.5 avg. 0 base speed 20 IAS) - OK damage, a little IAS, life steal, none of the other mods are particularly exciting (you can easily get the useful mods with other equipment). 155 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (45 IAS with max fanat)

#8. Blade of Ali Baba Tulwar (56. avg 20 base speed no IAS) - damage sucks even compared to some rares, SLOW base speed. With 2 +MF jewels I could see this being handy for a "switch to find item skill and loot corpses" setup, but that's about it (I prefer two +3 to warcries swords for a higher slevel find item- get the MF elsewhere) 320 total IAS needed to get fastest normal attack with paladin w/o fanat (95 IAS with max fanat)

9. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    no way i'm reading all that! :p

you could always socket that with a ZOD rune.

10. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    It's a short read anyway. Like hell I'm using a Zod on that, I'd save it for some insane body armor that happened to be ethereal, or even more likely I'd just trade it away. The amount of stones you could get for it would be enough to totally equip a char or even two with the most godly stuff in the realm.

--Haite

11. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    :rolleyes:

damnit! my eyes keep getting stuck looking up.

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I like stones no more then you (except in the case of my sorceress, +50% to mana and +2 skills I just can't pass up). It's true though, stones are currency, no matter how much they suck for every class aside from Necros and Sorces. For a Zod you could easily get probably about 150, which would be enough to equip a minimum of two characters with all the most insane godly shiat you could find.

--Haite

13. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    nah, that's not enough info to scare me away

Thx for the info. :)

I'm not terribly up to speed on the inner workings of the way IAS works (I read the LL breakdown, just not carefully), but even without that it is pretty much a case of the answer being self evident.

I tried bloodletter with my mid-level fanatic, damn thing kept breaking all the time. :)

14. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Re: nah, that's not enough info to scare me away

13 durability doesn't cut it :).

--Haite

15. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Whack, whack, clank. Damn.

16. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: nah, that's not enough info to scare me away

mine is 24, and it still doesn't cut it. :)

17. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: nah, that's not enough info to scare me away

Oh ya, doesn't anything ethereal get a durability of 13? That's what mine had before I sold it.

--Haite

18. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    not anything.

I do think the ethereal "mod" does cut durability roughly in half. However this opinion is only based on very light observation and cannot be backed up with anything resembling a fact. :D

19. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Sounds right to me :nod:. I just sell anything ethereal I find, unless there's something really special about it that'd make me save it (have yet to find such an item :D).

--Haite

20. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    My necro is wearing an ethereal Wormskull. I've been wearing it for a couple of weeks and it hasn't gotten damaged yet. Of course I don't fight my 'friends' do.

Hitometer: 53,596,674 since 1995