Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

D2X hybrid, released the end of June

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, May 18, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Quote from IMG's coverage on this topic:

"
    The Diablo II Expansion will be released (drum roll, please) at the end of June. And for those worried that the Mac release will lag behind the PC, worry no more. The expansion is being released as a hybrid CD!

Our inside man Beau also went on the record to adamantly assure us that only a planet-destroying earthquake or a global tidal wave would delay the timely release. So sharpen your slashing skills, the release is a mere 6-weeks away.
    "

2. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    eeexcellent...

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    The problem with the hybrid CD is, every sale of the game counts as a PC sale. This may not matter to Blizzard, who are committed to the Macintosh, but it would be nice to demonstrate to other game manufacturers that the Mac is a viable platform. Things are better than they were 5 years ago, but they could improve...

1. Companies would be encouraged to port their games simultaneously, or make their code available to a porting house earlier during development.

2. With the release of OS X, companies would be encouraged to Carbonize their games.

3. Show that the Mac's "5% market share" is skewed by the fact that nearly all businesses use PCs, the sole reason being that they are less costly (which in itself is specious when you consider that maintenance costs and downtime are higher for PCs). I suspect that the home market share is a little higher. (I could be wrong about this, I am not sure if the 5% number already accounts for that.)

Okay, this post is somewhat off topic. Sorry, I just thought I should make the point. The easy remedy is this: REGISTER THE GAME! Let Blizz know you are a Mac user! Jake I think it should be a clan rule that all of us register the X-pack when we get it.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Why the hell would you buy it and not register it? You don't get a valid warranty if you don't register.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I've never registered any of my games. Maybe I should.

6. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    Does that mean I will buy the expac and would be able to just get a new mac copy of the D2 classic to play on my mac at the end of summer.

Que le champagne coule!!!!

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yes. Your D2 classic isn't hybrid? That's rare.

8. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't think so, I bought it first day it was out. I've seen the hybrid version though.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    the very first ones were Windows only. All the shipments after that were hybrid.

hehe

Mac version (box says Mac, CD is actually hybrid) is $50.
    PC Version (box says bybrid, CD hybrid) is $30.

wa? :wtf:

Hitometer: 53,721,165 since 1995