Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

d2 os x runs much better

Discussion in 'Diablo 2' started by Jakeman, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i run it in softwrae mode. it's so much faster than in os 9.

2. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    Hmmmm

Thats strange.

I still get approximately 95% of the performance of OS 9 when playing. It is of course multiple times faster loading (thanks to OS X PowerPC native file manager).

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I also get better performance in software than openGL even with my radeon 32.

4. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    software mode works best for me also, but that's not too surprising considering my graphics card is an ATI Rage mobile for powerbook.
    only thing i gotta get used to is that yellow and gold are harder to tell apart now (making it harder to spot uniques quickly).
    i ordered more ram for my powerbook, got 192 now, ordered a 256 chip. Once I replace my 64 chip, I'll have 384 ram, hopefully d2 will run even better then.

BTW, do you happen to know if they make Vram PC cards for the powerbook pc slot, that's about the only way I can think of to upgrade my video ram.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    yes, load times for everything are much faster. i don't know about the file manager bit, but it is faster. in OS 9 stuff loads so slow i always get kicked off of bnet... like bnet thought i timed out or something. in os x i never get kicked.

6. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    Dont believe so.

A couple years ago, ixMicro made the 'Road Rocket', a PC Card with ix3d twin turbo 128-bit and 4MB VRam. But they went out of business and I believe it was intended for hooking up an additional monitor as opposed to being faster.

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I can't get it to work at all in Carbon. I can sign on to B.net and surf the channels, but as soon as I try to join or create a game, the app unexpectedly quits. Tried deleting and reinstalling to no avail. Any other ideas?

8. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    Are you sure you got the right patch? There are 2. One for diablo 2, and one for LoD. If you got LoD, then you need its application. Otherwise I can only think of the usual without further info (like can you create a single player game):
    • Delete preferences
    • Run 10.1.3 or later (10.1.4 if using dialup)
    • Select Software Rendering on bootup dialog

9. angus_prune

angus_prune Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Tried switching to software mode but I can't. I get so far ino the game and it freezes on me, can't force quit so have to restart the machine its all very annoying.

10. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    D2 is so old now... I wouldn't even bother with it. War3 is gonna be cool.

--Haite

11. Rhys

Rhys Peasant

Market Rating:
    yeah D2 isn't even played by anyone anymore. nevermind those 83,000+ playing during lunch today...

D2 in OS X (software mode) is reasonably fast, just make sure if you have LOD you are using the LOD patch, not the D2 patch. You might just need to trash it all and reinstall it all if nothing else helps.

12. angus_prune

angus_prune Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Managed to switch to software mode and it's running quite well now. Can't use escape as a pause though,game freezes after a while but I can force quit with a bit of messing about. Also I can't get on to Europe,been messing about on US East with a new character. Must try Europe again before going to bed.

Hitometer: 53,564,588 since 1995