Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

D2 or BG

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Brak, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Brak

Brak Unregistered

Hello, I am thinking of getting into RPGs and since D2 and Baldur's Gate are both coming out very soon, I am trying to find out which would be best. Anyone on this board ever play Baldur's Gate? How does it compare to D or D2 in gameplay? I'm leaning toward D2 because of the stonger on-line multi-player capability (as well as the strong sense of community, also thinking of joining the M.A.C. clan). But have read in reviews of D2 that since maps are randomly generated that enemies re-spawn in areas where you've already killed them next time the game is started, which leads to player frustration. What do you think?

Brak

2. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm getting both BG and D2, but for online group playing D2 is the superior choice. I would recommend D2 unless you are only playing a single-player game, in which case it may be a toss-up.

Wran

3. Edward

Edward Unregistered

BG is really the better Role Playing game. It has a very rich story with lots of interaction possible between your characters and NPCs. D2, while more RPG than D1, is still a hackfest in comparison.

I'm not plunking on D2, it's superb, just not as much of a true RPG as BG is.

(yes i've played both D2 and BG on peecee)

------------------
    Edward, the Black Prince

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I say Diablo 2. Mainly because it is more widely played than BG. Plus the online play is more supported (battle.net). But then I've never played BG.

5. flytrap

flytrap Peasant

Market Rating:
    I haven't played bg but I'm getting both games. From what I hear bg definitely has a more involved roleplaying aspect and storyline to it, however d2 looks like its going to kick butt in multiplayer games.

6. Brak

Brak Unregistered

Keep those replies coming...and to let you all know, I also posted a similar D2 vs. BG message at BG and D2 PC sites. (Assuming PCers have a greater chance of having played both...duh Brak). I have gotten a lot of excellent responses on the Battle.Net D2 message board. Complete with pros and cons of both games. Some of the people there are (not surprisingly) saying D2 is better, but most say, it depends and that BG is more of a true RPG with some battle, whereas D2 is more based on battle sequences with a little RPG thrown in. If ya'all want to have a look, there are already many excellent, some surprising responses at http://www.battle.net/forums/diablo2-strategy/. The thread is titled "D2 vs. Baldur's Gate" and you already have to scroll down a ways to get to it.
    Thanks for the posts,

Brak

7. Jade~Mist

Jade~Mist Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hands down BG is a better single player game, with good story, action and enough differences to inspire repeated gameplay.
    However, D2 is superior in multi-player. Single player is really only multi-player in a single mode. No saving, respawns of levels, only your quests and character info save, just like as in multi. D2's real strength is in multi player. It's fun in single also, but you can tell this was made to be an online game.
    I've played BG on my hand-me-down PC and I played it quite a bit with many different characters and had alot of fun. Playng D2 now until the mac version released and having just as much fun.
    So really, both games are good, strong, fun games with replay value.
    Sorry for the report. [​IMG]

Jedsia (formally Jade~Mist)

------------------
    "The magic is in the blood, it flows from the heart. Every time you use it, part of yourself goes with it. Only when you are prepared to give of yourself and receive nothing back will the magic work for you"

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey Jade, is that a new sig?

------------------
    By reading the above post you agree that your soul is mine.

9. MjTom

MjTom Peasant

Market Rating:
    Don't know if someone mentioned it before. D2 is not a real RPG. It has improved RPG facts and is a real good game. BG is a RPG and is based on AD&D rule, even if the spells aren't right implemented. Soon there shall be a new game like BG. For Multiplayer D2 is best!!! because BG multiplayer is the same as with SP but you haven't the same possibilities.

------------------
    - dream and you will live -

MjTom

10. flytrap

flytrap Peasant

Market Rating:
    Can't wait for Neverwinter Nights. Its sounds to be the coolest rpg to come along in a while.

11. Grubb

Grubb Peasant

Market Rating:
    As much as I'm looking forward to D2, and as much fun as I know it's gonna be, I don't think it'll be able to top the sheer comedy factor of a man with a pet minature giant space hamster named Boo, and a man who doesn't want to die because he'd hate for said hamster to be an orphan [​IMG]

12. Hannibal~MAC

Hannibal~MAC Peasant

Market Rating:
    speaking of RPGs does anybody remeber dragon warrior back on NES, that was a great game

------------------
    Hannibal, terror of all that is weak and keeper of elephants

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well...Both look awesome so I'll probably play D2 for quite a while, get tired of it, play BG for a while, get tired of it, pick up D2 again, play it for a while, get tired of it...........

------------------
    By reading the above post you agree that your soul is mine.
    [​IMG]

14. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    yeah, I say go for d2.
    As baldurs gate may have better interaction between npc's and your character it may leave you wanting more.

whereas d2 has less interaction the maps constantly change in order to prevent the dullness created by having to go the same way evrytime. everytime you leave the camp(or city/town thing)you must find your way again and you get to explore much more. Also if you die you can use waypoints to get back to where you died. overall i think d2 is better than bg by far.

15. Elf aka Rad aka OSX

Elf aka Rad aka OSX Peasant

Market Rating:
    You really must get them both. They're each best-of-class games... they are just too different to ba ranked head-to-head. Personally BG was one of my all time favorites. It's one of only 2 games to ever lure me onto a PC! The drawback to BG is in replaying - the monsters are the same ones in the same places on maps that look just the same. But BG is great! To maximize the fun period play it without reading any walkthrus, strategy guides, etc. And once you've had enough of one character type there are others to renew your interest.

Hitometer: 53,850,280 since 1995