Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

current movies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dapork, Feb 15, 2006.

1. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think any "good" movie is worth watching on the big screen. Especially certain directors. When I was taking my film classes in college and was able to view the old movies on the big screen (we got full use of the University Movie Theater each week for private screenings), I gained new respect for movies that I even used to like watching on video/TV before. I don't think the big screen's only use is to treat us to the eyecandy of big budget summer blockbuster-types (however much I love my big budget summer blockbuster-type movies). Ang Lee is one of those directors who lends his images to the big screen very well. If you're interested in the movie, and you think you'll enjoy it, I encourage you to watch it in the theater, because there will be a bigger impact than on your television screen (assuming you don't own one of those home projectors, or 10 foot wide plasma screens that is :)).

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    I saw the movie "New World" at my college, and I thought it was really sad till I read on wikipedia that the story was changed quite a bit. I'm actually going to see Brokeback tonight with a bunch of friends who are all girls. I'm a bit hesitant, but I figure I just gotta think to hell with what other people think... It's not even the gayness that bothers me. There's no problem with it. It's just drama and love. I don't go for those movies that often. And it's not liking watching two guys make out will make it any more interesting.

I really wanna see that Johnny Cash movie but it's showing at a different time.

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Walk the Line is pretty much a movie about love and drama too with the bonus, I guess, of it being about Johnny Cash.

5. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Know what, when I went to the movies, I saw a pinup of walk the line, and it said on the bottom "a rock love story." And I thought "wtf, they gotta turn everything into a love story?" There's probably a whole lot of Johnny Cash that doesn't revolve around the relationship he had with his wife....

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    They get into it a little bit -- relationship with his brother, father, mother, early childhood stuff. The part they really didn't touch upon at all was being "born again," getting active in the Christian church and all of that. It's sort of like the movie Ray. Apparently, the only stuff worth showing is the actual drug abuse section of a person's life.

7. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    drug abuse sells tickets...hell, look how many movies are structured only around it

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  9. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    oh, definitely. Same goes for love and drama -- :bendover: :hump: er, you know what I mean.

10. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sucks that you can't get a real good movie cause its production depends on the demand and all that.... But about movies revolving around drug abuse... I always thought that was the boring part. I can't think of many at the moment, but in Blow and in The Goodfellas (to a much lesser extent) I enjoyed all the gangsta/livin' large buildup, and when the protagonist goes downhill the story just seems to get shitty. Of course, it is innevitable in some true stories... but maybe they exaggerate it.

11. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    I just watched Traffic, and I thought it was boring. 3 hours of drugs = total waste of time

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah I never got through all of it.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Traffic is a boring movie.

14. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    man, i loved Traffic. i thought the cinematography was fantastic... i got a feeling from it that few other movies give, especially with relation to the colour tones that the different locales give.

15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Oh it was well made, just not all that exciting.

16. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think our slight apathy to issues like that and a lack of attention span made it hard for most of us to enjoy it, but it could just be me. I did see it when it first came out; I was younger and a bit lost.

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Director was trying to hard to be artsy, came out as crap.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    crap art. artsy fartsy

hmm no

19. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    it's like Seven Samurai, only not good.

20. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Kurosawa is a brilliant director....that aside, I don't see the parallels...

Hitometer: 53,935,560 since 1995