Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

cookie cutter sorc?

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Aug 26, 2001.

1. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    My recommended builds are all based on my theory that you must have one slow dmaging spell and a less damaging slow spell.

Any combination of 2 slow spell will just not allow you to cast constantly. TS is not a slow casting spell.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    orb and firewall are both slow, right? well, that's what i'm doing so.... nya!

3. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    Then I suggest you pump your static as well.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    why pump static? it only gains radius?

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Static isn't very necessary anymore.

6. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have found the same thing. There really is no need these days unless it is a physical immune in an 8 ppl game. Then it is kind of nice to at least get the bastard down to 50% life before the fun begins. But again, not necessay.

7. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    i think that if i was going to make a 4th sorc i would make a nova/hydra... the hydra fireballs knock the guys back and i stand there and nova them, ive never been one to use a merc though, i stand there and tank anything... hmm anyone planning on trying out chain lightning, there isnt a delay, its speed isnt based on cast speed, it is attack speed, so if you have lots of IAS and plus skills on you can get some big damage and fast cast... i am thinking about making a 5 shael phase blade with a minus req jewel and making a chain lightning sorc, anyone who feels like making a new char sometime soon msg me.

8. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    Static speed up your kill so much. Just need 3-4 casts and they are down to 50%. Well 50% is a lot. imagine doing baal, he's down to 50% after 3 seconds. that saves you time and basically make you kill faster. And don't forget it is a radius spell. Not like hydra which can miss.

! more thing, there isn't much light immunity in act5. Use static freely. Plus it saves you mana.

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, static can miss now. They nerfed it.

10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Static Field is still worth a point. There are situational uses for it even for FW sorcs, and I've found that it supplements Charged Bolt rather well. I would not pump it as charly suggests, just one point and plus skills items. Charly seems to think its less effective in 800x600, I don't think I will waste time explaining that it works exactly the same in both resolutions.

11. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    :rofl:

stop it lurk, you're killing me :D :laugh:

I need to hotkey Static again, see how it is these days.
    It seemed as though they really killed the range, which made it rather unattractive. I can deal with only dropping to 50%, that's no prob, but if I need to get in the critters face to static, then I need to tweek someone's gear.

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, I get in the critters' faces anyway to use CB, so the radius is just fine for me. I think I have SF at slvl 7 with my gear (1 base point). I use it to give CB and/or Orb a little head start, I have found it conserves mana for me.

Of course, the ultimate cheese character, a FW sorcy, would probably have no need of Static.

13. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    don't forget we're talking about hc here, no way we can pump skills to +6 with so much resistances unless it's a tal rasha set.

static field work less well in new resolution because it doesn't cover the whole screen. It's just a psycological barricade, but it you can work it well in new resolution then fine. It's just that I don't use that resolution at all.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Good point. Even in SC I wish I had more resistance. My plus skills gear is: Tarn (+1), Silks (+1), Tal Rasha's Adjudication (+2), and two SOJ's (+2). I could add a Sigon's to that, but then my resists would be even worse. (I use a RalOrtTal gothic shield now.) I do have 51 LR in hell diff, I have 30% LR on my Gauntlets and also the Tal Rasha Ammy gives me 33%, plus what I get from the shield. If I need to get LR to 75 I can always put on a Lore (OrtSol) helmet, without sacrificing the +1. To me, lightning is the most dangerous elemental attack, so that's the one I focus on. That being said, I'd still like to boost the others (FR -12, CR 38, PR -12).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2001
  16. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    i made a charged bolt/hydra sorc yesterday, i figured with CB for close range and hydra for long range i can clean up(although thats not too tough judging by the number of baba-sorcies running around). we'll see how it works.. :D

17. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    ancient pledge sucks, it's only useful if you play single player, so you have no other choice but to make that.

I'd recommend rhyme, though it lacks resistances, but it have some other mods such as cannot be frozen which is very valuable.

3D large shield can be really great for the resistances, beat out ancient pledge about 20.

If you're a paladin, then you can get up to a few hundreads of resistances with a 4 socket magical class shield.

Lightning resistances must be maxed at all time in hardcore mode, remember that.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    lightning resistance doesn't make any difference against a multishot lightning monster. it's always instant death, always has been. i remember once my level 71 softcore -40% s/s barb with 2200 life and max lightning resist died instantly in nightmare trav against a council member that had multi lightning. that was in classic d2 too. and as you know my hc zon just died to a multi L guy.

19. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Are we using that new math? Perfect diamonds in shields are +19 to all resists. 3 of them in a shield gives you 3 X 19 = +57 to resists. Pledge gives +48 to Fire, Lighting, and Poison, and +43 to Cold. So 3D beats out Pledge by a mere 9 for three of the resists, and by 14 for the other. 3D is certainly better, but not 20 points better.

Thanks for the recommendation. :rolleyes: Rhyme is a fine shield, but right now the resistances from Pledge fit my needs better than the mods on Rhyme. Of course, once I get my Dex up high enough to use the phat new Wizardspike I just found... :arcade:

20. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    hmmmmpf... you people suck :p... I am stuck with sucky speeds untill gawdknowswhen........

Hitometer: 53,813,031 since 1995