Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

convince me...

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Lpspider, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Lpspider

Lpspider Peasant

Market Rating:
    Alright, I'm considering buying an apple ibook.

What are the pros and cons of this?

I'd specifically like to hear from people who have previously used windows/microsoft and converted.

Thank you

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    It really is personal preference. You can do the same stuff on both platforms. I like Windows better than OS X so I switched from Mac to PC.

I recommend you play with a Mac for a while in a computer store to get a feel for the platform.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    personal preference... Like Jake said, try one out at the store.

One immediate benefit is the lack of viruses written for the Mac (less viruses/spyware), but that's not a huge reason for buying one. I like the Macs, but I have never really had to work on a PC, tho. Learned on the mac and stayed on it...

Jakeman likes this.
  4. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've used both but switched to PC when I got my winbox for $25 as surplus. Macs tend to be more expensive, obviously, and I have my pet peeves about PC users who try to use Macs and assume all the wrong things (the biggest one is how PC users assume that closing the window means you've exited the program)

-Macs are nearly impossible to upgrade the processor and motherboard. You're basically limited to changing drives and RAM. Also, the program variety is a little more limited for the office and gaming environment. Photoshop/Video/Audio editing suites work faster than their PC equivalents though.

-PCs have OS flexibility that Mac OSX doesn't. You can use Linux or any number of alternate Windows shell programs instead of basic Win2k or WinXP. Unfortunately Windows boxes are much more at risk for viruses and such. Also, upgrading is easier and so instead of spending $3000 every 3 years on a new Mac, you can spend $200 every six months to keep your computer up-to-date. Much cheaper.

Jakeman likes this.
  5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Personal choice. Go try one out for a while and see if it works for you. Some people hate them and some people love them.

6. Lpspider

Lpspider Peasant

Market Rating:
    problem is, no stores in my area sell them in store - just online purchases.

7. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Online is just fine, but if you do, buy from Apple directly insead of through a reseller. It's less confusing, imo.

8. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    If you are a student, they have good educational discounts as well. Apple also has a promotion of a free iPod mini with a computer purchase for students right now.

Jakeman likes this.
  9. Lpspider

Lpspider Peasant

Market Rating:
    Really? I'm a student, but I already have an ipod - not the new model though ;(

Can you give me a link?

10. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Here

Hitometer: 53,810,916 since 1995