Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Computer is Dying a Slow death

Discussion in 'Mac' started by OsIriS, Feb 14, 2001.

1. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think my computer is dying slowly and painfully. At startup it tends to sit there for a while and look sad before it loads up, and it tends to lock up on me a lot now...I did just add a new stick up RAM and an ethernet card, but I don't think they are the cause of it (although I guess I could take them out and check) I'm sad, I have NO money to buy a new computer if this one blows up on me...none.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    get on the Jeprody show.

3. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    How much ram did you add? If it's a lot (ie 128/256) it could be the POST routines hanging the comp. IT might also be something with the DIMM itself (ie damage, wrong speed, etc). Here's something to try. Hold down the command and option keys as you select the memory control panel. A fourth option should show up, a radio button to shut off stastrup memory tests. Shut it off and reboot.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    You have updated your firmware lately, have you?

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually it was a couple of the senario's on the Civ II Gold edition that weren't up to snuff...I just got probably the second most recent drivers for all my stuff (my internet is still down so I can't download the most recent) and once I stayed away from those senario's my computer is fine.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    it could be the RAM causing it. Basically it a process of elimination. Take out 3rd party hardware. If problem still exists then you need to restore the HD from the restore disk to eliminate the software variable. If problem still exists then you call Apple tech, confirm the problem with them and then take it to an Apple repair center and have them replace the suspect hardware.

hehe, if you take it to a CompUSA it may be me working on it. They moved me into tech recently. :cool:

Hitometer: 53,595,366 since 1995