Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

CompUSA tech desk probs

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by SpocKirk, Apr 18, 2005.

1. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    My friend went to CompUSA to get a new HD. He had them install it as a slave for his existing drive. According to the tech desk, when they installed the second HD, it somehow fried the motherboard and the memory (I don't know about the vid card or anything else). it was 4 years old, so they said it was falling apart already. They also said that his original HD was still OK, so he would be able to get all of his files back. He still has to talk to them more, but it sounds like they aren't going to take any responsibility for it.

How is that even possible? Unless they had a power spike or didn't wear the static bracelets (I don't even know if that really matters as long as you don't shuffle your feet on carpet while holding the motherboard), I don't see how that would hurt the motherboard. Are they liable for what happened? I wouldn't expect them to buy a new comp for him, but they should give him some kind of compensation.

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    They're liable unless he signed a waiver.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    ...which he did, because that is on the service contract IIRC. But the contract doesn't mean anything. Any manager can be made to give you what you want if you bitch enough.

And yes, I have seen weird electrical stuff like that happen, but it is rare.

4. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    so the recommendation for him is to keep talking to them until he gets what he wants? I'll pass that along to him.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah, that is all you can do.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Wow, if I had to sign a waiver releasing them of any liability to the machine then I would do it myself.

Hitometer: 53,587,115 since 1995