Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

CompUSA Sucks!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Onisama, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, usually that has been the case.

I just got back from a road trip to my nearest CompUSA, 60 miles away in Indianapolis (I was meeting with a potential client not just going to cUSA) and I must say I was very impressed.

I walked in side the store, which smelled vaguely of dog poop - the only drawback, and immediately identified the Mac section by the 5 think different banners hanging from the ceiling. :D
    That's about 3 more than I am used to seeing.

I stroll back the well identified section, a triangle near the back right corner of the store, and I notice a shiny new G4 on display at the tip of the triangle, complete with snappy studio display (no cinema display, darn it) and those fancy schmancy sound sticks.

and low and behold, it's playing a demo movie from the iMovie package.

I took a moment to identify which of the new G4's it was (533mhz) and looked around to see what sort of software they had on it. Photoshop (I took a couple minutes and applied some cheesy filter effects to an area of color and people went "wow! you know what you're doing!" yeah, right. Amatuers), Netscape, IE (but no net connection), Links Pro (the only game loaded), iTunes, iMovie, etc.

so I opened iTunes, clicked on a random unidentified tune. Some song by Creed I hadn't heard before, comes out of the speakers. Damn, those speakers sounded pretty decent (keep in mind that I have a shitty old pair of Altec-Lansing speakers I picked up four years ago, most anything is going to sound good :D )

I glance over to my left to see if "Skippy" is going to tell me to "turn it down" and I notice 6 other Macs being demoed along the back wall!!! Another G4, 2 older iMacs (one of which running another demo), 2 iBooks and a titanium G4 - none of them in need of a restart.

Obviously I headed over to the G4 powerbook. Took a look around. This was the only disappointing part of the trip as the powerbook seemed to be having troubles. It was far more sluggish than I would have expected (at least 20 seconds to open apple system profiler) and no significant software on it to play with other than iTunes. :(

all in all a pleasant surprise

2. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    titanium? slow? i have 2 in my house right now..... was the battery low or something? cuz it slows down depending on battery power... hmmm

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  4. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    yes, it was slow. Sluggish even.
    I didn't check the battery, Once I saw that there was no software on it that I could really play around with I moved on. Since it was about 3 in the afternoon, it is very possible that the batteries could have been running low.

5. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    At every CompUSA i've ever been to they're plugged in.

Hitometer: 53,597,434 since 1995