Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Compressor help

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Sacrilego, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Sacrilego

Sacrilego Peasant

Market Rating:
    A friend of mine (PC user) downloaded the movie Shrek off the net in AVI format. The movie worked fine on his comp, so i asked him to burn it for me on CD. So I brought it home, put it in my comp, double clicked on SHREK.AVI icon. After 10 secs a window pops out saying "you may experience problems playing a video track in SHREK.AVI becasue the required compressor could not be found. WOuld you like to close the movie or Continue?" So, i obviously pressed continue. However, the sound was fine but there was no video.

WHere can I find the compressor I need??

2. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, I dont pretend to know anything about this, but from what I hear on hotline servers and such, you need a divx player to play those movies.

3. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Most likely you wouldn't. There are any number of proprietary compressors out there that haven't been translated for the mac yet, and probably won't be. It sucks, but whatcha gonna do? Just go here, of course! :)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/shrek_trailer.html

What, you thought I had a link to the actual movie? I've never even seen a downloaded movie before... :)

4. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    It most likely is a divx codec movie. I believe I heard here earlier that it had been ported to the mac, so do a search for "divx" and see what you find.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    the divx codec for mac basically sucks. there is a new one i heard about called thrivx. Not sure if it's the same or backwards compatible or whatever.

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    3ivx costs money though, and the divx player does suck, you may or may not get audio.

Hitometer: 53,594,584 since 1995