Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

college prob

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dapork, Sep 20, 2005.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well I figured I might come to the ol' circle o' elders for some help with this one. My plan was to stay at this American college in Athens, Greece for two years, and then transfer to a place in New York City for my two remaining years. I planned on Hunter College (part of City University of New York, CUNY) which is located in Manhattan. Now my poblem is this... I finished my first year of college with 33 credits, and the admissions counselor of CUNY told me over the phone that the college usually accepts about 30 credits from transferring students. Thing is, I found this out a few days after I had started my fall semester classes.

If I carry on like I did last year, then I'll have something like 60 credits by the end of this year, and it seems I could lose half in the transfer process. I had the option of dropping out immediately and just not continuing college here, but since I had already started and since I was enjoying myself, I for... "forwent" that one? Now I figure my options are thus:

1) I could try and make it over to NY at some point to talk with them and maybe they could be lenient about my credits.... I don't know.

2) I could search for another college or university which doesn't have a 30-credit policy and attend that one. But do you guys know if all colleges have it the same?

3) I could remain in Greece for the full four years and postpone my hope for a music career until after college.

The reason I wanted to transfer out of here was to take some music performance classes (of which there are none here). At the moment I'm pursuing philosophy, but it's pretty limited. I already know that Hunter college has a much greater variety for both music and philosophy.

Well just incase some of you guys are bored enough to dabble with my dilemma, maybe you could give it some thought and give me some ideas.
    Any questions on the matter, just ask me.... If I don't get any replies it's aight.

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Well... I stayed all 4 years at my University, but I have heard of all sorts of people transferring between colleges at any time, transferring their credits right along with them.

I don't know why Hunter stated a 30 credit limit. Is it for ALL transfers, or is it specific to a certian degree or something?

Lots of people go to alternate accredited schools for 2-3 years, then hit the prestigious ones for the fourth for the degree in that universities name...

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Maybe they meant for the program you're interested you need 30 credits minimum to transfer? I've never heard of a maximum credit transfer limit.

4. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ditto.

5. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just transfered between schools and they took more than 30 credits. I would just double check, like elb and cow are saying, to see if it's a minimum (which I would think it would be).

6. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I transferred schools and they had a maximum #. It was either to make you take more of their classes or just to suck more money out of you.

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Bingo! It's a lame money grubbing tactic, but I've heard of it before. They'll couch it in some language about "preserving academic continuity," but what it really means is "we're not going to give you credit for classes you didn't pay us for." Speaking for myself, I'd have serious reservations about attending such a school. The back-end benefits to myself would have to be substantial.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    ditto... I would not attend a school that had such a policy.

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I can see it being valid if they're a really excellent university that doesn't want some person that took three years of college classes to do half a semester with them and then have to give them a diploma with their university's name on it. A diploma from a well reputed university endorses the carrier and if that person is a retard then it reflects poorly on the school that gave them a degree.

But in your case it's probably a money grabbing issue.

10. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    What... you didn't know I graduated from Yale?

11. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    UCLA is like that with some high school AP credit - they limit how much you can apply from your former school.

My advice: You should have applied to transfer last year, so that you would have come into CUNY as a second-year student. Other than that, you could do one of two things:

-Apply to get into CUNY as a second year student, and take the current school year off (not advised... you'll forget stuff)

-Talk to the counselors and ask when people normally transfer into CUNY. I would expect them to say "between first and second years", because that's how they limit the credit they let you carry over. You may be able to apply your 60 units if you apply to get in as a third-year student. Also, even if you can only carry over 30 or so units, it might help to have flexibility in what you choose to carry over - carrying over units from certain classes can automatically satisfy a lot of the basic education requirements.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    That is still one way that alot of people take. The end University always has the option of not allowing you to transfer if they feel your credits are not well earned. If you have 3 years of credits from a fully accredited program from some state school, a 3.9GPA from that State School, alot of extra curricular activities... and you want to transfer into a top notch University to get their name on your diploma... it's up to the University to think... is this person acceptable to transfer, Yes or No...

Saves the student alot of money in the process...

13. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    It doesn't mean much anyway. My cousin got his law degree at Ohio State, but worked his butt off, got a 3.9-something, and is now an associate at Skadden in DC working on mergers and acquisitions.

14. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yea it may not really matter. From my experience neither your degree nor the college you came from mean a whole lot. 9 times out of 10 people get a job outside of their major and I have also noticed that experience counts for way more. All the degree will do is make you eligible for certain jobs that you wouldnt be able to apply for otherwise.

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Bachelor degrees aren't worth very much. All they say is that you are reasonably intelligent (in the case of bachelors of science anyways) and are capable of focusing and accomplishing work. For the majority of jobs you learn everything on the job (except for science again where you learn the theory behind what you're doing).

Which is why co-operative learning programs are so desired by hireing companies. No one wants to hire someone with a degree but with zero experience in the field. Many people coming out of university have never worked a day in their life, that doesn't make for a very enticing resume.

Graduate degrees have more inherent worth.

16. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    I agree. I have a friend who went to Cornell and two family friends who went to Boston College and Yale. Apparently it is extremely common for the graduate students to come from small, private schools as opposed to coming from some big name ivy league or something.

17. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thanks for all the replies.... I was talking to mom about all this and she wanted me to apply to other places like NYU Columbia and the Newschool. I figured it was worth checking out to see if their policies about tranfer students was different. But I backed out of that. I don't feel like goin' through all the damn trouble of trying to group different little scholarships and then eventually having to take a loan or something. I think I'm just gonna apply to Hunter as a third-year student and see what happens.

You guys brought up the worth of a degree from a prestigious school. There's a whole lot of bullshit if you ask me. $30-40k a year to go to college? When you could do so for about 10k. I just don't think it's worth it. I'd only go to one of those places if they made it really really cheap. Plus, all the well-off white people from my public high school who ended up going to ivy league schools went for the sake of "uuuh cause it's supposed to be a really good school." I was actually stuck in that mentality for about year... just cause I thought it was what I was supposed to do lol....

And yeah, most people don't pursue what they studied... and I'm really trying to keep the opinion that I'm going to college to educate myself, to learn things, so I don't end up being one of the many people who make the world a worse place because they're stupid. It's a little difficult here though, in Greece, where's there's an obsession with jobs (there aren't, in fact, as many good jobs as there are in America). I have to argue with people about why I don't think studying music and philosophy will cause me to fail and be miserable after I graduate. Everyone here has the idea that college is "capital" and a means to acquiring their place in some big company. People wanna market themselves... like commodities. So the majors here are all like business management, communications, economics... hotel management. There's no creativity, no humanities. It's funny how a people that clings so strong to its history of great philosophical minds acts and lives in complete opposition with what all those damn philosophers talked about. Even with some Americans I've had to argue about why I can settle for going to a place like Hunter "which has no reputation or prestige whatsoever."

I'm just venting by the way. But thanks again for the replies.

18. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well it's the same for me, man.
    Them "so what are you majoring in"
    me "English and Film"
    (with a stupid wtf face) "so..what..you are going to be famous or something"
    "Ha...yea I know it's kinda unrealistic, but I enjoy it and an english degree is pretty diversified. Can go a lot of different directions with that"
    (joking but not really) "yea... like starving! ha... good luck with that"

Another thing is when I say teaching... people look down upon teaching to an incredible degree. At UW the profs make like 100,000+ and they get summers off. My dad's a prof at a Wisc uni and he loves it. Most fun job he's ever had.

19. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have that useless English degree as well. Got to love it! If you're going to a professorship, just skip the real world and go straight PhD. And submit your academic papers all over the place to try to get published. Universities care more about your name recognition, than your actual ability to teach.

20. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    The quality of the journals is fairly important. If you've published tons of articles but they've all been in crappy journals then they would choose someone else that has published way fewer articles but in higher impact journals.

But yeah, unless it's an actual exclusive teaching position (which most universities don't have), research is weighed much more heavily than teaching performance.

Hitometer: 53,936,021 since 1995