Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

cloud computing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    This guy who removed my criticism section fails:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:SamJohnston

Conversation so far:

Notice the constantly shifting undefended arguments.

2. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I won. Took a month of battling to push through this little thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#Criticism

Also, the cloud logical diagram from the cloud wiki is absurd enough to warrant posting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

300px-Cloud_computing.svg.png

Reminds me of this pic, at least in terms of its information content:

graph2.gif

Ignorance is totally part of the definition.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Whatever the **** it is, the cloud is getting a lot of funding:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...-hp-invest-250-million-in-cloud-computing.ars

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Another theory...

Complex systems are often packaged and sold in a consumable form to the ignorant masses in order to serve some functional purpose. Cars are an obvious example which serve the function of transportation. I know dick about engines and stuff but I can drive a car.

I think cloud computing represents a similar packaging of a complex system. However, instead of serving a role as a functional product it seems to be completely nonfunctional. Rather cloud computing is like a meta package which adds no new functionality to the original package. It is only functional in that it serves as a label for complex systems so that people can conceive of and think on ideas which they don't understand and yet still cannot use properly. Despite this lack of functionality, the concept of cloud computing is still packaged and sold to the ignorant masses who consume it with their ignorant brains because they don't know any better.

I think that over time the hopelessly ignorant among us have been increasingly forced to use computer technology. The ignorance reached critical mass so we had to create the vague, all-encompassing concept of cloud computing so that people can pretend like they know what the **** they are talking about. Most people are embarrassed and ashamed of their own ignorance such that they will fake it instead of seek out knowledge.

Analogous Example:

I was at the gym the other day and a bunch of guys started talking to me about football. I'm a total pansy and I suck at guy things like football. I was too embarrassed to ask questions, so I smiled and nodded like I knew what they were saying. Ok... now imagine that same scenario with a group composed entirely of people like me. Now everyone is talking about football and no one knows anything about football.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/01/cloud-based-itunes-and-wireless-device-syncing-coming-soon/

Cloud computing is media streaming and wireless access.

Fools.

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    cloud computing - ignorance to save the ignorant

I have developed a new perspective on ignorance and cloud computing. I argued before that ignorance is part of the definition of cloud computing. By that I meant that something can only be in the cloud if you are ignorant about exactly what that thing is.

Now consider that user ignorance has always been a problem in the world of computing. That is why tech support exists. People don't know how to use and maintain their computers which necessitates the existence of support people like myself.

How do we fix the problem of user ignorance? In the world of engineering the ideal is to "design out" the problem so that it can't happen. Many computer companies have tried to design out client problems by hiding and abstracting the technology powering client systems (AKA user friendliness). But after many years of advancements in this area user ignorance is still a huge problem.

Enters the cloud.

It is as if computer companies finally realized that end users are a lost cause. The only way to save ignorant users is to take away their technology. If the user can't handle it then just put everything on a cloud server and have them connect remotely. Now they can't **** it up.

I propose that cloud computing is ignorance to save the ignorant. For something to be in the cloud there has to be ignorance, and by putting things in the cloud you are stopping the ignorant from messing up their shit. A user is having problems using software? Put it in the cloud. A user keeps losing their data because they don't know how to backup? Put it in the cloud. Things are safe in the cloud because the cloud is run by non-ignorant people (who therefore laugh at the concept).

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  8. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
  9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The iCloud is free online document storage. Free like iTools, no doubt. :rolleyes:

Hitometer: 53,594,981 since 1995