Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Closed/Open...

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Jul 29, 2000.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I know we all voted on this, but I've been thinking. Even though battle.net sucks right now, closed characters may be ideal for the clan scene. For one thing, our channel would get a lot more traffic since you have to be online to play closed. This means A LOT more actual clan games. I've experimented with closed chars myself. It's nice being able to go into random games and not worry about cheating. With open characters I'm limited to clan games as everything other game is cheated. I love my open character, but I'm seeing the apeal of closed characters.

Should we do closed characters for the clan? That's not to say that we can't still do open. I know it sounds bad since we already voted (I actually voted for open), but I'm having second thoughts.

I want to know what you guys think now that the game is out. This clan is a pure democracy in matters like these... let everyone know what you think about this issue now that you've had first hand experience with open and closed chars. Thanks.

2. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Closed also means no TCP/IP. And thats all i play right now. I dotn trust Battle.net. If u give it a month, by then they should have increaed the servers effinicy(SP).

but itll then open.

------------------
    mud
    When?

3. Stebu_Shark

Stebu_Shark Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey~
    For right now I agree with mud Battlenet is to unpreditable. I say stay with open until the end of august and then reavaluate the whole thing. Plus it's nice to work off line on a character such as on my lap top on the go [​IMG].
    (new SN mac_Shark)

------------------
    The shark attacks when PC nerds least exspect it

4. Adar

Adar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, I hate to say "I told you so", but since I rarely ever get to say it.... I told you all so. I knew you'd give in eventually to the light of reason. Closed characters are better. Sure b.net isn't great now, but it'll be fixed soon and we can all play in a cheat-free area.

And you all called me crazy. Who's crazy now!?

------------------
    "I want to know everything. I want to be everywhere.... I want to do something that matters."
    Trent Reznor, The Downward Spiral
    "We are but shadows and dust."
    Slogan
    The New Shadow Council:
    http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/scanner/612/

5. flytrap

flytrap Peasant

Market Rating:
    I thought about that as soon as i started playing open character, however i also believe that bnet is pretty unreliable right now.

Answer: Have 2 characters, 1 open and 1 closed.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    well, considering i already have an open level 35 necromancer....

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    For now it looks like open character are still favored. I have to agree that we should wait until battle.net is stabablized before we decide. The big issue with closed characters is that we would all have to be on the same server. People who lived far away from that server would be screwed with lag. Unless we broke the clan up into regions. But I don't know about that.

[This message has been edited by Jakeman (edited 07-29-2000).]

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The more I think about this the more I realize that having closed characters would make this clan much more clan-like. I'm talking about actual interaction and gaming between clan members. Not the occasional TCP/IP games we have right now. It's such a tough issue. There are so many indisputable pros and cons to both open and closed. Ahhhhh! [​IMG]

------------------
    supercalafragilisticexpealadocious!

9. Hannibal~MAC

Hannibal~MAC Peasant

Market Rating:
    i think we should stick to open until battle net is working

------------------
    Hannibal, terror of all that is weak and keeper of elephants

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yeah, battle.net is basically sucking left nut right now.

------------------

11. Muskie

Muskie Peasant

Market Rating:
    I always voted closed, as it forces you to play online. I've played on bNet with random people and they seem to just yammer about trades and not just sally forth and kill.

Muskie

I will be starting a closed character in time likely two weeks or so once my house guest has left.

12. Mendel

Mendel Peasant

Market Rating:
    I wet my feet in open; now i know how to play and train my necro.

I vote closed.

Ill enjoy playing him offline when b.net is down, but guys, the lag on closed b.net is SO MUCH LESS right now, even if it IS hard to get on a game, even if it IS sorta unstable, its still a faster host than DSL hosts i have had. And that leads to less frustration. Plus, if the game lags, everything lags, and you actually have a chance to react, not like open b.net, where if it lags, and it doesnt get to your computer in time, youll be dead before you know it. Goddamn cows [​IMG]

Secondly, we will lose our desire to play in single player. When we beat it on hell; what next? We need the closed enviroment and compitition in order to keep the clan alive and breathing.

Third, Its hard to find a game. Its hard to say im in a clan; as of today, im starting a new necro on the USEast server, mac_Mendel.

Fourth, closed chars force everyone online in a suitable playing enviroment. The single player is nice, but it isolates us from ourseleves and its hard to find a clan game. And when we do, most of the time its for trading; because the open games are just toooooo laggadelic for anything else.

Fifth, im sick of "Failed to Join Game" and "Game is Full" or not being able to see who im joining a game with or who else is in the game, so i have a better idea whats going on.

Sixth, im sick of hackers and people who dupe items. Im sick of trading and then discovering that the person who traded just duped and robbed me of a perfectly nice item; whereas what they gave me stayed right in their pocket. It really looses its credibility.

Seventh, im sick of this in the b.net channels

WHAZZZUP PEEPS I GOT RING O JORDAN WORMSKULL UMELAMENT LOSTZA KICKACZZ ITEMS NEE GOOD ONE HAND WEPON MUST DO INSANO DMG MSG MFRPlAyA_KIlla FU De=TAILZ

At about 70 of those a second.

And the other clan, mAc, plays closed. People know they are a clan. With us, they think im some brand of cheezeburger, even though we are 20x bigger.

Lets make our mark. We arnt going to do it sitting at home playing single player. We take b.net now. We make our spots on the ladder now.

Closed

13. ogopogo

ogopogo Peasant

Market Rating:
    Weird i can't create a character on useast right now, my bnetonly show uswest server and that it. Can anyone help me?

------------------
    In the biginning Universe was born. This has made many people angry and was regarded as a bad move.

14. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I still say it sucks not to see each other's outfits at the bottom of the channel. I have to check back to the clan page sometimes to double check what type of character the person I'm chatting with is playing with ('course I could always ask). Not to mention that it's just a cool feature.

And no, I didn't play with barbie dolls as a kid OK? (well, I might have transplanted limbs from a GI Joe figure on one at some point, but that doesn't really count does it?)

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    it's all the reasons listed above that I am bringing up this issue again. Closed may have some disadvantages, but I'm realizing it has far more advantages.

NOTE! Big Problem With Closed:
    Our clan members are world wide. Those far away from USEast would get killed with lag (other continents mostly). Would we all be on the same server or split up the clan to accomodate the 4 realms world-wide?

------------------

16. Dark_Warrior

Dark_Warrior Peasant

Market Rating:
    i personally have tried out both types of b.net and i think that i agree with mendel. we'll LOOK like a clan to people, no more worrying about cheating. a lot of things will be better and the games will be less laggy. i vote for closed

------------------
    guiness beer sucks

Hitometer: 53,558,565 since 1995