Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Civ 3 rocks!!!

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by juanvaldes, Jan 13, 2002.

1. juanvaldes

juanvaldes Peasant

Market Rating:
    For those of you privilege to be at macworld SF and gotten hold of Civ 3 you know what I am talking about. :D It's a VERY addictive game that improves upon the previous games.

BUT there is a MAJOR problem with performance (at least under OS X, have not tried 9, nor will I). To fix this at startup disable quartz font smoothing. and it will feel like a whole new machine. :D

2. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    i got it off direct connect, does that count? yes it is a fun game. i just suck at it.

3. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Civ 3 does have its high points (culture 0wns), but overall I went back to Civ 2.

The lack of multiplayer, lack of support for 3rd party scenarios, and worst of all, the combat system completely turned me off.

Nothing was more fun than playing a custom WWII scenario multiplayered over TCP/IP, utilizing Blitzkrieg tactics.

In Civ III, combat seems to be arbitrarily decided. An ironclad took out my battleship. My paratrooper took out a Modern Armor. Bombers do less damage than Artillery, and you can't target units inside cities. Tanks have mobility penalties in enemy territry.

Blitzkrieg has effectively died after the uselessness of bombers and tanks.

And one time, a spearman took out my tank.

Although I understand the gameplay balances are made in goodwill, they make the game unrealistically ridiculous to play. A spearman shoves his spear down the turret of a tank, causing the turret to explode when the shell impacts the stuck spear? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2002
  4. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    hmmm

I thought they got rid of that "spearman taking out a tank" problem with Civ2. Sad to hear that it has somehow snuck back into their coding.

I would certainly hope that that sort of stuff would be addressed in an upcoming patch.

I'll still be picking up my copy tomorrow. :)

5. juanvaldes

juanvaldes Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, I was quite pissed to discover no multiplayer at all. Not even hot-seat which me and my GF fell in love with in Alpha Centari. :D

yeah, sorry to hear that balance is off, so far no gripes from me...though I have not played enough to pass judgment.

i was also quite surprised to find ONLY 1 "scenerio" if it should even be called that. Yet to see if PC scenerio's will work...hope so, else we have to wait for March or so when the editor will be out...:(

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah it was always frustrating in the original Civ when a Phalanx would defeat your Armor.

My copy is en route. As soon as multiplayer does come out, I will own you all.:evil:

Hitometer: 53,586,134 since 1995