Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

chairs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ars wanted me to pay $25 to get chair recommendations, so I am posting on a few other sites now. I am looking for chair suggestions. Basically I want a chair that is like the chair portion of this:

http://www.mypce.com/index.shtml

I want full length body support from head to toe, the ability to recline to take pressure off of any one part of the body, and a built in keyboard and mouse tray to prevent me from having to sit forward to reach. The idea is to eliminate stress on any one part of the body with the full support reclining action. This of course necessitates a built in tray since I am sitting back.

I have shopped around forever and have yet to find anything remotely close to what I want except for the PCE chair which has too many extras I don't need and is apparently not in production.

Price is not a concern.

2. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I dont know where you would find a chair like that. never seen one like it anywhere. if price isnt a concern then just talk them into makeing you your very own pre-production chair. then tell them it will get lots of testing. many many many hours. but if you do find a lower cost chair like that please share the info i wouldnt mind one like that.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Who makes custom chairs?

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Didn't La-Z-Boy come out with some crazy reclining computer workstation chair?

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I don't see anything on their site.

6. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
  7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Getting warmer. I was looking for more chair, less computing environment. These computing environment things aren't very mobile either. At least this thing has price and availability.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  9. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    $1000-5000 for a chair come on. thats so damn much money. taco bell shure as hell cant pay that. allthough those chairs are really nice.

10. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'd say post it on Ars. What's $25 when you're buying a $2000 chair?

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I haven't had much luck in my shopping efforts for this Kiri Executive chair. The manufacturer has no retail operation... they sell direct from the factory. So I have no way to test the chair before buying it, and the factory has no return / refund program of any kind.

Resellers of these chairs are few, no doubt because of the hefty price tag coupled with the manufacturer's return policy. I found one large retailer of ergo-everything that sells these chairs:

http://ergoboy.com/

...but their return policy explicitly denies returns / refunds on chairs. I am still trying to find a local outlet that would allow me to test the chair. Ergoboy just referred me to a distributor in San Francisco (about 2 hours away) that may be able to assist.

Regarding the missing keyboard tray... ergoboy offers such a tray as an accessory, so that might work.

I got poor service from their moderators and was attacked by some of their members. I am not giving them my money. I may have a large wallet, but I still have principles.

Otherwise you are right and I would have paid the $25.

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I sat in the Kiri Recliner today (same chair as the Kiri Executive, minus the 5-star base). They are awesome. I think I will order one after I get a few more answers to questions which probably won't be until Monday. I still have some paranoid questions about the tray and 5-star base, the two pieces I have not been able to test.

FYI, it turns out it's a Brazilian manufacturer:

http://lafer.com.br/

That's the Kiri Recliner in the splash image on the main page.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    $2000 chair and it is damaged upon arrival which is preventing assembly. I am cursed. I will probably end up shipping this thing back and forth for 3 months just like my RAM.

The good news is that the table addition arrived also. I was told the table was backordered by 3 months. I figure I will get the replacement in ~3 weeks (the original took 2 weeks from time of purchase).

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    On the advice of the warehouse guy I used a crowbar to fix the problem. It worked well. Now I have my chair with the table. I have only been sitting in it for a short time, but it seems to be working exactly how I wanted.

The chair is built like a tank. The frame and mechanical stuff is all metal. There are no "metal to wood" connections anywhere which should prevent creaking over time.

Too bad I don't have a camera. :(

15. Fujin

Fujin MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    OH I see you can spend the money on a damn Chair but not on a Camera! Fine we didn't want to see you laying in the chair eating cheesy poofs.

Attached Files:

16. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:

wow just wow

17. Jaco

Jaco Peasant

Market Rating:
    I sit on a yoga mat
    when I get uncomfortable, it's time to stop staring at a lightbulb

Hitometer: 53,939,609 since 1995