Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

CD-R or CD-RW

Discussion in 'Mac' started by mud, Jan 30, 2001.

1. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Im looking at getting a new CD-R or CD-RW drive since my old one will no longer work with my comp. Im looking at some from OWC becasue they come with Toast 4.1 and are only about 300 dollars. 1 model is firewire which is what i really want, but is most expensive. Second is an internal IDE, ok now im going to sound like an idiot here, btu what is IDE? ive got a 400mhz G4, non-sawtooth.

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    IDE is the same type of connection that an ATA hard-drive runs on. In your computer you either have an ATA/IDE hard-drive or a SCSI.

All macs used to come with ATA and all the new ones (G3+) come with SCSI. Although all G3's and G4's have 2 IDE/ATA buses on the mobo so you won't have any problems.

If you don't already have an IDE/ATA drive then you'll need to buy a cable (2 bucks) to connect the burner with.

Why are you even thinking of getting a cd-r ? Those things are extinct. I don't even know if anyone sells them anymore. (I'm not talking about commercial burners. Those things are only cd-r).

3. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thanks

Thanks, i made up my mind ofr CD-RW.

4. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    ATAPI / E-IDE ok, i found i nice drive, but that. any differance i should know about?

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    mud, for your computer you don't need to worry about the differences between ATA/DMA/IDE/E-IDE/etc.

btw, IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics.

cow, all new Macs come with SCSI? I think it's oposite. The older Macs came with SCSI. The newer ones starting with the beige G3s (I think) come with IDE or whatever.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nah. My G3 came with ultra level 2 SCSI. Bought an extra SCSI card for my zip drive and external 40x cd-rom. There were two unused IDE busses on my mobo for which I bought a cable and hooked up two extra drives.

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    My old PowerPC 5200CD came with an IDE drive with external SCSI.

Hitometer: 53,596,025 since 1995