Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Calling all USEasties in a5 hell

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jaha, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    anyone who can get there, we need 5 more people to join me, auto, and olon in hell baal runs, you dont have to be able to do anything, but stay alive when you are in the worldstone chamber, i will kill baal with eithere 399 mf or 420+, we have soloed this in 8player games, but not enough people are in the chamber so the base items are always trash. ill make a post in the events forum later maybe with a time

2. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    we're on now msg me at *mac_Joint or auto if your going to join us

3. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    howsabout focusing some energy on helping people to get there?

Everytime I am online, someone messages me about doing a hell Baal run and when I politely decline because I cannot get there, there is _never_ an offer of assistance.

Plus, I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably piss someone off, but...
    I am really not terribly keen on this "let's get lots of people in the worldstone chamber so the person with insanely high MF gets good drops" trend.

It's explotative, of both the game and of the people "tagging along".
    I don't care as much about exploiting the game, but what is in it for the people who come along?

Some good experience, definitely.

Some good items, maybe, if there's something that's not quite up to snuff for the big guns doing the killing. Then again, it's still a maybe. I'm sure that some folks will say "hey, grab what you can when it drops." That doesn't work anymore folks. Some of us are plagued with shitty framerates that drop to low single digits. By the time they recover from Baal's death scene, there's nothing on the ground anymore.

Some cash, no way.
    I personally have never come out of these baal runs ahead on cash.

Now that I have said that, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the previous Baal runs I went on with everyone.
    Until the point when the people who didn't have 780% MF began to be essentially just along for the ride.
    I would enjoy going on Baal runs in the future, but I don't expect to be asked again after this post. :(

anyway, sorry for the bitching, just had to get that off my chest. Carry on.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    ummm...yeah! What he said, I think.......?

5. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    im sorry ive never offered any help, but i thought that atleast one of your chars would be there, like your axe barb. i was doing these runs just to see how everything effected the drop, so far we have only been getting normal rares and uniques, no exceptional or elite items even drop, so i wanted to see if the amount of people down there was what determined the treasure class or if it was just random

6. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    my apologies jaha, I assumed the worst intentions. I really shouldn't have done that.

I haven't converted any of my high level chars because they are both level 81.
    That's past the point where you can really fix things if you find that the build won't work for D2X. and I would hate to see those 2 chars convert into d2x and totally suck. I am still considering converting them over, but will most likely wait for a little while longer, or at least rack up some cash on them so they can buy any new equipment they need.

so, for the moment the furthest along I am is Act 3 hell, just need the durance waypoint. Already cleared everything up to there.

btw...
    Thx again for the Giant thresher. I crafted it, but the craft really sucked (worse than my grim scythe if you can imagine that) I'll try again once I get the ingredients. Or give it a spin on the imbue wheel when one of my chars has one free.

7. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    You are assuming the worst but lets be honest, how many items have you ever gotten (from anyone at all) when doing these kinds of runs? I know I have never gotten a thing (I haven't done any runs with jaha and auto so not sure what would happen there), nothing, not even a magic item. Hell, half the time I don't even see a drop happen for the reasons that you mentioned. This is one activity that I have just reduced down to a way to trying to get a bit of experience and I wonder if it is worth it for that. Doing Blood runs may give you more.

8. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm not into doing baal runs (or any run) if I "don't have to do anything". I think that made Jaha's original post a little unapealing.

On the other hand, when you can do something, bloody runs can get extremely booring (the monsters rarely even attack you, your biggest threat is the silly catapults for gods sake). I like marching down to fight Baal because the trip is interesting and challenging (there's always a chance of dying, especially if baal's boss packs spawn with nasty mods like might, fanatacism, or multi shot lightning enchant).

That said, if you've been doing baal runs in public games and missing out on the drops, you're probably not missing out on too much. Apparently there's a bug with Baal's drop code that makes him choose normal items close to all the time in hell and most of the time in nightmare. A few exceptionals might show up, but Baal is not the guy to kill for good elite items. My experience with solo kills and clan games (I've never had a complaint with item hogging in clan games - though I'm rarely the person to actually first pick up the good items) matches up with this reported bug/feature.

A much better place for good base items, and money in general is the kurast council. If you just want easy experience, a diversion from bloody hills is cow level runs - if you don't kill the cow king you can keep on making portals. The cows don't move too fast, have relatively little hitpoints, and no resists even in hell. The only danger is that if you let a lot of them get close, you can get up to 12 simultaneous hits from their polearms since they pack so tightly and a lot get within range to hit you.

Finally, if you're looking for a very specific base item (and don't want to just break down and trade for it) the following site is a good place to do a little research to choose a good spot to go hunting:
    LoD Item Drop Probabilities

Based on that site I make the occasional trip to kill the smith in nightmare and hell, although I haven't had much luck with his drops while soloing (drops while soloing are sketchy in general).

9. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    i started a new char this morning, im level 35 and working on some normal act 5 leveling runs, if someone wants to come along. i could use the company (and some wps in nightmare :P)

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Damn you Auto.... :razor:

How do you do it??? Man.... already 35??? and just started this morning? :eek: :barf2:

11. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    If I woke up at like 8 AM I could be to 35 by now. Er, but I actually just woke up :D.

--Haite

12. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    good gear, some time to kill and 8 player games.

I doubt I could pull it off, I usually move at a slightly less frenetic pace, but I betcha cow will claim that he can level that quickly. ;)

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't know if I could do it that fast. That seems like some serious leveling...well, once you get to act 5 I can level from like 20 something to 35 in a couple hours.

14. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Well, Auto said this morning, and this morning started at midnight. Just how fanatical is he?

--Haite

15. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Auto? He's a monster. :D

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    What I thought. Leveling to 35 wouldn't be impossible if you played D2 24/7 with a caffeine I.V. to keep you awake. :laugh:

--Haite

17. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    two words: mountain dew

18. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    mountain dew tastes like crap and it is yellow too. its all about red bull for your caffine

19. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    ZEPHORS AN ALIEN WHO DOESNT DO THE DEW!
    :alien: :biggun:

but im with auto

:cheers:

20. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    heh i missed!

Hitometer: 53,816,834 since 1995