Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by akira, May 7, 2003.

1. akira

akira Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a pretty decent cable ISP but they give out these crappy modems ( i rent it for 5 bucks a month) occionally when i play online games ill lagg out , get choppyness and what not. i was wondering if i bought a better (higher priced ) cable modem if my speed/lantacey would improve. and a new modem with a built in firewall would be nice , im on a static IP with no protection , eek

2. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    who do you get access through, and what kind of modem do you have. I have the cheapo one from time-warner, but is servers well, and they give it to you to keep. IT's a toshiba PCX2500, I dont get much drop. Anyway, I own mine, but am moving in a month or so, so you could have mine for free if you dont buy yourself something better.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I doubt the modem is the cause of your latency problems, but you never know.

4. akira

akira Peasant

Market Rating:
  5. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    A firewall is pointless if you're running Windows or classic Mac OS. If you're running OS X or some form of *nix, and the fact that you're running it is out there, then consider a strong NAT'd hardware firewall.

Like Jakeman, however, I doubt the modem is the source of your troubles. If you just don't want to pay the $5 though (and intend to stay with the cable long enough for it to matter) then just get your own modem for that if nothing else.

6. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have the same modem. I have no problems. Cable in your area must just be weird. Ya know?

7. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I had similar probs when I first got 2 way cable, first I checked the lines, my house is a 70's house so I bought new cable and ran a direct line from where my cable comes into the house to the modem. So from the pole to my modem, its only split once, so check to see if its split at all in your attic or what not. I also had a second problem, out on my cable pole there was a squirrl chew through the wire that connects the pole to my house, and the cable co. fixed that for me for free, so give them a call and maybe someone will climb the pole for ya, unless you have the underground wiring, then you could rule out that second possibility. None the less, call your cable co. and tell them whats up. And by cable co. I mean the ISP, in my area, they do TV and internet at the same time so i refer to them as cable co.

8. akira

akira Peasant

Market Rating:
    My ISP is Cable TV and Cable Internet.
    http://www.cableone.net/
    my wireing goes out the wall in my room and around the house to the splitters ( yes , multiple ones0 and then to the pole )
    it seems kinda getto rigged so ill see what i can do.

thanks to everyone for thier advice.

9. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    yes indeedy that could be the prob, esp if you have many splitters heh.

Hitometer: 53,936,297 since 1995