Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Buying a Handheld PDA

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Draco_Auric, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Draco_Auric

Draco_Auric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Im considering buying a PDA soon but I really dont know what I should get what I would mainly use it for scheduling reading and games

the ones I have looked at and liked so far are:

Visor Deluxe
    Visor Platinum
    Palm m105
    Palm Vx

the palms need extra gear to be mac compatible =C
    and the m105 has a smaller screen and the Visors come with free carrying cases for the next while

does any one have any advice for me? I could really use it

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    V Deluxe = Good but old. 8MB is nice. Colors are old (the old iMac rainbow colors, blegh.

V Platinum = Very good. Nice color plastics, 8MB, faster processor (dunno if it makes a dif).

Palm anything = blegh. not much expansion. true, the 505 has expansion but it is a brand new proprietary connector that has limited support.

Summary: Visor has very good expansion. it's like a gameboy with that springboard slot. Both Palm and visor have the same functionality otherwise.

3. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I love my old visor deluxe. It may not be the fastest, but it sure keeps my schedule, contacts, and a couple of games working fine.

(btw mine is 'ice' colored)

4. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    yeah, i'd have to say they are NOT old imac colors, the ice and whatever the blue one is kick ass

5. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I would go with Palms. Visors lack the looks of Palms, and will always be behind Palms when it comes to the latest OS since Visor makes it "special."

Everything that can be done with the spring board slot can also be done on a Palm, although Visor users don't care to admit that. Tons of accesories hook up to the port underneath the Palm, but Visor users usually don't realize that and think the springboard is the greatest thing ever.

The springboard slot is only really used for extra memory, which most people don't need. As for a modem, or GPS, the Palm has had them for a while. and despite what Jake says, the connector is not proprietary. It supports Panasonic SD cards, which are not made by Palm, therefore not making it proprietary. And also, the SD cards are used in cameras, Gamecube, and Palms (for sure, i know there's more). So in the end, adding extra memory to your Palm is going to be cheaper than adding it to your Visor because the Visor's card is not used by anything else.

My final thoughts, Get one of the new Palms, like the m505. The style of Palm beats Visor easily, visor is always behind with the OS because they use a special one, and there's a lot more accesories out there for Palms than there are for Visors.

But if you want me to explain what i just said. Palms and Visors work the exact same. The stuff Handspring adds to the OS in Visor can easily be downloaded anyway. They both can support accesories, either through a spring board slot or through whatever that thing on the bottom is called, and they both allow for added memory (assuming you get a newer Palm). But you'll probably never need added memory, so i wouldn't worry too much. Basically, you just need to decide based on price, looks, and well... that's the only difference.

6. Draco_Auric

Draco_Auric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, Ive decided on getting a visor platinum although I would have prefred a palm m500 mainly for the size and the looks but its too expensive for me :( $700CND!

so can any one suggest any good software?

7. Draco_Auric

Draco_Auric Peasant

Market Rating:
    also places where I could "obtain" said software would be good

8. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
  9. Draco_Auric

Draco_Auric Peasant

Market Rating:
    cool, thanks

Hitometer: 53,594,021 since 1995