Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Burning Crusade = Jan 2007 (official)

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=38244050&sid=1

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    So much for Santa bringing me WoW:BC.

3. JollyRedGiant

JollyRedGiant MSC Commander

Market Rating:
    yea, kinda hoped i would have most of winter break to spend playing. oh well, just need to set aside more time next semester to play now.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    christmas is saved:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=38233956&sid=1&pageNo=3

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=38233956&sid=1&pageNo=4

This tells me they will be releasing the shared content early. In MMO expansions much of the content is always shared between both expansion and nonexpansion players. In the case of BC the shared content includes:

- lvl 70 cap
    - new talents
    - new pvp system
    - etc

The exclusive content will come with the expansion. Exclusive content includes:

- new dungeons
    - outland
    - new races
    - etc

5. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    The level 70 cap is exclusive to the expansion.

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah it would have to be. Otherwise people could level to 70 and plow through AQ40 and Naxx. Although one wonders if 70 would even be possible with existing content.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Source?

The lvl cap supposedly being exclusive does not preclude people (those with the expansion) from reaching 70 and plowing through AQ40 and Naxx.

Yes, you can reach lvl 70 by killing nothing but lvl 59 mobs. For example, UBRS has mobs up to lvl 62.

8. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    right, but if people without the expansion could level to 70, the toughest content they'd have to deal with is naxx and those bosses are all balanced for level 60s.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Actually I should clarify. I'm actually NOT of the belief that level 70 will be exclusive to those who buy the expansion. Where I was coming from was that they won't raise the level cap with patch 1.13, thereby nerfing the hardest existing content at the time.

I think there was a blue post way back when that said even people without the expansion will be able to level to 70. Of course with Blizzard nothing is ever set in stone.

In any case, yes Jake people who level to 70 will be able to blow through Naxx much as we can rape LBRS now. The difference is we'll have level appropriate content to conquer, with better loot.

EDIT: Just saw the post from Nethaera. I haven't checked, I will assume there is much bitching from those who may not be willing to pay for new content being placed at such a "disadvantage."

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The official source I linked above confirms that level 70 is exclusive which precludes any arguments about lvl 70 being included in 1.13. It's a moot point now.

13. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Correct. As I said, I made that statement before I saw the "official source."

But my original assertion is still valid. There'd be no reason for a non-expansion character to be level 70 anyway, they'd be overpowered for any content they can see. Imagine if the highest dungeon in the game was Sunken Temple. Even if they put Tier 3 loot in there, it would get old fast.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I disagree but refuse to argue at this point.

I had to wrestle with the people on the WoW forums too. Everyone wants to debate this question logically... saying what the answer "should" be rather than citing official sources.

15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Not everything is an attempt to debate you. I was simply stating why I believe level 70 should be expansion only, which is probably in accord with what Blizzard thinks. If Naxx is the hardest content available to you, then you should not be able to level past that difficulty.

I'm curious, what are your reasons for believing level 70 should be universal?

16. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    PvP?

17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Sorry, I am just sensitive to this kind of argumentation over this question. You get that way after asking 10 people what the answer is and they do nothing but give you their opinion.

is lvl 70 exclusive?

it should be.

but is it?

yes, because it should be.

no, i mean what is the answer?

this is why it should be.

what?

it should be exclusive.

*rinse and repeat*

If you must pursue the topic... I think it shouldn't be exlusive because it creates a truly divisive separation in the population such that it actually takes away content instead of just withholding it. Those who don't purchase the expansion will still get new talents but they can't maximize them with only 51 points. They get a new pvp system but they can't compete on equal footing because of the level gap. We are talking about shared replacement content that depends in part on the level cap. It is as if Blizzard bought everyone a new car to replace their old ones, but only expansion owners get the keys to drive it... so what good is the new car?

Charging for content is understandable, but a level cap is hardly new content... it doesn't represent development hours or any other kind of appreciable effort on the part of Blizzard, unlike new dungeons, items, zones, etc. And the level cap enables many replacement features that are already shared. I believe Blizzard is withholding the lvl cap to force people into buying the expansion. If you don't buy it then you will be gimped beyond just the lack of exclusive new items and such.

18. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Fair enough, and you have valid points, although I guess I would debate your assertion about development hours as they pertain to level cap. Content and level cap go hand in hand, I don't see how you can separate the two. As I said, non-expansion level 70s would be well beyond any content that they can play, unless you retune existing dungeons.

If I give you the keys to the new car, design the car to perform best at 70 mph, but only let you drive it in a 55 mph zone unless you paid me, would you be happy?

I mean, this is what I would say if this was a debate. Which it's not... :p

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  19. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah, there was no sort of suggestion to my statement. I said it was exclusive because I knew it was. I've talked to people at Blizzard, people in the friends and Family beta thing, etc. Thats why I wasn't really responding to the source question, because who would believe me even if I said it :P

20. JollyRedGiant

JollyRedGiant MSC Commander

Market Rating:
    official release date is Jan. 16 2007 :D

Hitometer: 53,813,467 since 1995