Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Building a new computer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OsIriS, Dec 14, 2009.

1. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    So I've decided to build a computer, however, I'm a little reluctant to pull the trigger on buying the components online (I have ordered RAM online before and I didn't have a problem with it, however, for more expensive components like motherboards and processors, I'm a bit nervous). I've been looking at newegg for all my parts and actually have picked out exactly what I want, but I was just wondering if other MSC members out there have any experiences ordering through an online retailer like newegg versus spending a bit more up front at a CompUSA.

One reviewer said 80% of his hard drives shipped through UPS were DOA and to spend the money to have them shipped FedEx (shipping all my parts FedEx might negate the cost savings for buying from newegg to begin with).

Thoughts?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    thanks for the advice. The only thing I have bought so far was a new monitor. I was going to buy my case yesterday, but they were out of stock.

I'm pretty much set on what mobo and CPU I'm going to buy, but I'm interested on your thoughts on HDD performance, mainly getting 1 large volume HDD versus setting up a RAID using smaller volume disks?

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hard drives are super cheap. I personally have 2 raid 1's in my computer, one for storage and one for my system. You can go raid 0 for performance but I value reliability more.

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to get excited. The parts are coming in -- got my case and my mother board, monitor should be here today, everything else should be here in a few days. I can't wait to take this thing on a test drive. Right now I'm down to my old PowerBook G4, so a shiny new computer will be nice.

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Just an update....got all my parts and got a successful POST and into the BIOS. My brother has my Windows CD, so I have to wait until he gets off of work and over here to see if everything is running properly. But so far so good.

Can't wait to see what this i7 can do.

Hitometer: 53,952,454 since 1995