Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Buh bye diablo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cowofwar, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Oh, and there is a lot about the game that makes me think they are just trying to create a cash cow with minimal effort.

1) The game isn't that good, but it is receiving a lot of hype because it was made by the fantastic four.

2) A subscription fee for a diablo-sized online game? This isn't a MMO... come on guys. To be fair, they have free play too:

http://www.hellgateguru.com/2007/05/elite-subscriptions-995-a-month-and-other-details/

...but all of the good features are pay only.

3) A $150 lifetime subscription available for the first month only? Quick, buy it before you have a chance the realize how crappy the game is.

4) 4 different preorder kits from 4 different retailers? And they are selling the kits without preordering the game. People are eating them up just so they can get the 4 different dye kits that they represent. The kits serve no other purpose after the first one.

5) Collector's edition? Why call it a collector's edition when supplies are plentiful? They are just selling the hype that comes with the "collector's" label.

6) The game itself has in-game advertisements on the sewer walls and stuff. Ads in a subscription-based game?

2. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    i agree with all of that. i played it for a few hours today and found it to be pretty boring.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I mentioned Mythos earlier which is flag ship's other game, but I didn't have much information at the time. I just found this video preview of Mythos which reveals a lot more about the game:

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/underground/mythos-video-preview

It looks like Mythos is going to be a casual MMORPG with a diablo feel, as they say in the video. It actually looks like it has promise. My only concern is that they are using diablo as a point of reference again, just like they did with hellgate which turned out to be a bad clone. The game doesn't look like it's anything original... it's just another fantasy MMO that emulates what others have already done.

Mythos looks like it could be a really good game. The thing that interests me more than anything else is that it is a casual MMO with accessible content, unlike WoW which is a hardcore MMO.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  5. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    That does look interesting then.

6. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    i played mythos briefly in beta about 2 months ago, it wasnt anything particularly interesting but it was a lot closer to diablo than hellgate could ever hope to be.

7. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    hmmmm

I don't understand where all the hate for hellgate is coming from. I played in the beta per your invite Jake and found it fairly buggy but decent. The release is more stable and the last three acts are where the action really is. Its most definitely a Diablo II clone but I honestly don't see that much wrong with such a comparison. It never advertised itself to be something unique or groundbreaking. Maybe it was your choice of Summoner that brought out some issues, but I am loving Guardian.

It isn't as good as Guild Wars from an online perspective and a story perspective, but I dropped that game after realizing that PvP was the true point of it all.

Cosmetically, we are going to just have to agree to disagree I think. After the WoW beta I didn't subscribe because I honestly couldn't take the cartoonie look. I loathe it. That and I had enough of my life sucked away with FFXI and EQ, but regardless I really like the character look and environments of Hellgate. Repetitive perhaps, but nice.

The advertisement stuff is a complete non-issue in game. It isn't in your face at all. Subscriptions are a bit more of an issue, but we will see what they have to offer in the future. Its the full game online without, you just miss out on some of the event stuff for the time being. 10 bucks isn't that much at all honestly. Thats what? 2-4 beverages at starbucks?

I could go on, but I won't. I am enjoying hellgate enough to recommend it. You could do far worse.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I have been following hellgate closely for the last 2 weeks. The general sentiment on their forums is similar to my own. Everyone is pissed off at how broken and shallow the game is. There are some fanbois who say they really like the game, but they are in the minority. I am not sure how representative their forum population is. Consider that the naysayers tend to be the most vocal people online.

I saw one really bad thread comparing hellgate to shadowbane. They went on to identify a bunch of similarities between the launches of both games... everything from shallow content to show-stopping bugs to trivial patches that ignore the major bugs to seemingly forced optimism from the staff. I recently found out that Ubisoft actually fired the company that made Shadowbane and that the game has been converted to a free, ad-supported game. Ouchies.

They keep extending the deadlines for beta -> retail account upgrades and founder subscriptions (the $150 lifetime subscription). They are actually still letting the beta people play for free 3 weeks after launch while they continually extend the grace period allowing them to purchase the retail version. That is evidence of the reported problems with their subscription system if not evidence of a lack sales and subscriptions in general.

Are you still enjoying the game Kalg?

9. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    The game stopping bugs are fairly minor for me. I can play for a solid session easily with no CTDs or anything. I haven't encountered most of the technical issues that people have, but I am on a rig that isn't exactly standard with quality parts and good memory allotment. I have stayed away from Vista which has saved me a huge amount of headaches I am sure.

That being said, the bugs associated with the Guy Fawkes Day Event are pissing me off a LOT. Uniques, the highest rated and ultra-rare gear drops, are showing up without any stats. This has been going on for nearly 2 weeks and is absolutely infuriating. I'm sure like D2 that uniques will eventually be out shined by final area legendary and rare drops, but still. In a game focused around loot tables, to have the best gear drop useless and not patch it immediately is unfathomable.

As for the comparison with Shadowbane, it isn't fair at all. Shadowbane was an absolute pile when I played it near release. My experience was truly awful. Hellgate is great fun to play. Its a nice change for immediate, viceral gratification after end-game FFXI activities. There is really not much grinding at all comparatively, and I am playing Elite which makes the game a little bit more difficult than the normal setting. So from that perspective I am enjoying it.

The extension of the beta thing and the addition of more character slots is definitely FSS giving a bone to the playerbase. They can't be doing that well with all the bad press they are getting. You should see if you can activate the last 2 or 3 acts with your beta account jake. Maybe play through them over an evening or two. Can't hurt.

I am definitely not a fanboi by any means. Only really started getting interested in this game after your post about a Beta slot. Maybe I am just a sucker for the days of D2. Regardless there are a few things that will define whether I keep playing long term.

1- Unified stash between characters on the same account. This was announced as a feature and I want it in game last week. A total must for someone that plays odd hours and doesn't at the moment have a RL friend base to play with.

2- There needs to be a large gathering space for all players. I think most of the tube stations are instanced and there are never that many people in them at all. There needs to be one focal point where people can spam and just gather up.

3- FIX the unique bug retroactively.

Things are fairly busy for me at the moment so I haven't had as much time this last week as I did following the release to play. Much of the skill imbalance isn't broken, it just needs tweaking. Sorry for the long winded response. I can get more specific if you would like, but I would give it a casual shot again Jake, especially if your Beta key is still active and free.

10. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Did you try it out Jake?

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    No I already uninstalled it. I didn't like it at all.

12. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Fair enough.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    more mythos

I finally got a Mythos beta spot from a friend. I spent a couple hours today playing it. I am very impressed with the quality of the game. It has that "blizzard polish" in all aspects of the game.

Graphics
    The graphics look great and perform great. The models, animations, environments, shadows, lighting, etc all look top notch. They also use cartoony graphics which I like better than graphics which try and fail to look realistic. My aging 7800GT runs the game perfectly on max settings at my native res (1280x1024).

Music and sound
    The music and sound in the game is also high quality and is very effective when combined with the graphics. The game has a lot of ambiance.

The world
    The world is different than I thought it would be. The game has common zones and instanced zones, but they are less connected than a game like WoW. Moving between zones requires clicking an action item like a staircase or cave entrance. Then you get a brief loading screen before it places you in the new zone. Town areas are common areas where everyone can interact, but the dungeons, caves, and intermediate connecting areas are instanced from what I can tell. To put it in Diablo 2 terms, there would be an action item and loading screen between the Rogue Encampment and the Bloodmoor, and the Bloodmoor and the Cold Plains. It sounds fragmented, but they implemented it really well with nice transitions. They also have a waypoint feature which allows you to instantly warp to any location. The warp-in points aren't usually discovered, but rather they are unlocked when you get quests or buy maps. So you spend less time hoofing it through connected zones to get to your destination, and instead you just go straight to the zone you need. The world is less connected topographically, but it is more connected functionally.

Gameplay
    Similar to Diablo 2. Point and click. You don't have to think about 10 different things like you do in a game like WoW. Mythos actually plays a bit smoother than Diablo 2 because they streamlined several aspects of the gameplay. The more direct waypoint system I described before is a good example. Another good example is the looting mechanism... in Diablo 2 you had to click on piles of gold to pick them up, but in Mythos you just walk by the pile and it automatically picks it up for you. For the bulky items that take inventory space, the text tooltip automatically appears without having to hold down an action key like in Diablo 2, and to pickup the item you can click in a general area encompassing both the tooltip and the graphic so you don't have to precision-click the tooltips like in Diablo 2. The streamlined gameplay combined with the high degree of ambiance and the generally lighter-themed world (as opposed to Diablo's darker world) makes Mythos a very relaxing game to play.

Early conclusion
    Mythos is basically Diablo 3. It is a fun and extremely high quality game that is a worthy successor to the Diablo series. I haven't played it very much yet, but I am highly impressed with everything I have seen so far. What is even better is that it will be free to download and play. Supposedly they will be charging for some optional aspects of the game but I don't know what those are yet.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    From another forum I post on, in reply to these questions:

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Mythos dev interview from today:

http://www.mythosguru.com/information/interviews/irc-dev-interview-december-1st-2007/

The interview reveals some details about the "real money" purchases that will support the game. They will have a dual currency system with game money that you get from monsters and stuff, and purchased money which they refer to as RMT (real money transaction). They mention some specific things that can be purchased with RMT:

It looks like RMT is mostly for nonessential things that won't create imbalance between paying and non-paying players. Non-paying players can also obtain RMT by trading goods to paying players for their purchased currency. I imagine that an exchange rate will naturally develop between the two currencies.

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    New Mythos build released. Supposedly the target "retail" release date is this Fall. But it won't be a box release. The game will be a free online download. They took away my two extra invites in preparation for an open beta which is said to be very soon.

Some changes I noticed in the new build:

1) New Cyclops race (no new classes though).

2) You can now select which instance of an area you want to join from a pulldown menu. The instances are numbered.

3) New WASD movement option (or ESDF for those wanting a superior key layout ;)). This is a nice improvement over the conventional D2 mouse system where the mouse was used for both movement and targeting. Now you can move with your keyboard and target / attack exclusively with your mouse. This allows you to be much more agile and precise in your movement and attacks. It also really helps in PvP.

4) Camera rotation option (not sure if it's new).

5) New splash screens.

6) Option to respec your talents for gold (but apparently not your attribute points).

7) Option to hide helm.

8) New mail system (supposedly to prepare for auction house).

9) New crafting system. They also give you a separate inventory tab for reagents so they don't take up valuable bag space.

17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I am getting tired of Mythos lately. It needs more content and direction. The various developer posts and interviews have revealed a very unstructured development model, and it really shows the farther I get into the game. They don't even know who the final boss is going to be, but they say they will have one. It seems strange that such fundamental aspects of the game haven't been decided this far along in development.

To sum it up, we seem to have a "forest through the trees" situation where we have wonderful attention to detail but the big picture is almost completely lacking. Once the initial "oooh aaah" wears off the game seems empty.

Hellgate had similar but different problems, where there were fundamental aspects of the game that seemed not well thought out. The fantastic four represent a lot of talent, but without Blizzard they seem a bit unorganized. They remind me of me... I am a talented webmaster and I like games but I am not very good at managing a clan.

I started playing Diablo 2 again. I am enjoying it more than Mythos even though I have "beaten" it several times. It is purely a difference in content and direction.

18. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Five year thread bump.

Also Mythos is fun for a couple days and then is boring due to the lack of a community and the absence of any storyline.

I played it for a bit until I got a level 30 character and twinked some friends then stopped playing. I hear it's better than Hellgate as well. Guess we'll have to wait until 2012 when D3 comes out to satisfy the fix.

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    It sounds like we both had a similar experience with Mythos.

sup cow

20. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Holy crap! Cow!

Hitometer: 53,551,647 since 1995