Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Bad Mac!

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Baseera, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    So, I love using my new 24" iMac. Especially when I'm playing WoW, which is almost all I do. But recently I've been having some serious issues.

Just after the last WoW patch I began to have video artifacts on the screen, first it was a fence that did not end and now it's become pretty bad at times. To add insult to injury I've been getting full lockups that need power cycling to recover from and I have applications, that I've used forever, that won't run anymore. They either crash when starting and give me the, "do you want to try again?" message or they just don't ever load.

I checked the knowledge base and found one guy who's having similar issues but WoW says it's the video card and not them. Most of the Apple replies I've found are about fixing bad fonts and running hardware checks.

I checked my fonts, deleted the ones that came out bad or off. I also booted from my diagnostic disc and ran the test ten times. It came up negative every time.

Anyone have a similar problem or suggestion?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    In PC world I might suspect an overheating problem. Hot video cards can definitely cause visual artifacts, and other hot components can cause lock ups.

Otherwise I would check the usual suspects... RAM, RAM, and video card (if removable). Diagnostic utilities don't always detect hardware problems. Ideally you should swap out these components with known good hardware to troubleshoot.

I imagine the iMac hardware is somewhat nonstandard, so for this kind of troubleshooting you might need to take it to a shop.

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    blizzard has been blaming the video card, however typing /console gxrestart (or switching to window mode) removes the "big ass black triangle" artifacting.

the apps crapping out sounds like you may have launched an application during an OS update and jacked up your prebinding. there's a ton of free utilities around macupdate/versiontracker that could run your maintenance scripts/fix your prebinding.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  4. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I'll check the prebinding thing tonight.

I have the new iMac so I can't really take out the video card but I did a lot more research yesterday. The Mac forum on blizzard's site is chock full of complaints about the same thing. Once in a while there will be an actual Blizz employee comment but they are usually limited to: limit your framerate, type /console gxrestart, it's your videocard, or "did you pay your fee this month? You did? Good. Problem, I don't see a problem."

I cleared the wow cache yesterday. I didn't have as many artifacts but there were still some.

What really kills me is that all of this happened after the last patch, it only affects wow (for most), and it isn't confined to one type of computer: there are lots of MBPs with the issue too. I won't rule out the possibility of hardware failure but if it is, then it's a big one like the battery recall issue a few years ago.

Hitometer: 53,597,000 since 1995