Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

backpack trip

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BaleFire, Aug 14, 2003.

1. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I'm leaving for a backpack trip in Banf on the 16th, I should be back the 29th. It's part of OMSI which is a science museum thing in Oregon and they have lots of summer trips and stuff like that. It's 10 kids (ages 14-18, although I think the oldest kid on the trip is 16) and 2 adults so it should be really cool (except the day where we hike 18 miles, that will suck :p). Hopefully I won't get eaten by grizzly bears :eek:. But more dire, I hope I can survive without computers for 2 weeks!

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    My university doesn't offer the biology-ecology course where the class takes a trip down to south america. That makes me sad :(

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I hope you have fun. :)

18 miles is quite a hike! You're doing it in one day? :eek:

4. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    We are OMSI members.
    :king:

5. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Have fun.

We did a 12 mile hike in Glacier National Park, was fun. Though very high altitude so air was thin. Was cool to see the iceberg lake though, in July. My cousin actually got knee deep in the water before he chickened out.

Fun times. Hiking is great. We have no real mountains here though :(

6. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    well I'm back, and those distances were in kilometers so it wasn't nearly as hard as I had suspected. Also, the route we hiked ended up getting changed because of all the fires, so we hiked up through jasper national park instead of banf. The longest day turned out to be 20 kilometers, about 12 miles. The average was about 10 miles a day. The backpack itself was 8 days long, but we took a few days getting getting there and back and viseted the royal tyrel museum and a few other places.

The scenery was absolutely spectacular, and we saw tons of marmots, some mountain goats, a black bear and a few other animals. A grizzly (judging by the tracks) came into our camp during the night and pawed around but didn't disturb anything (we were all asleep so we didn't see it). Overall it was very cool.

Hitometer: 53,850,664 since 1995