Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

ATI 9000 and 9700

Discussion in 'Mac' started by mud, Jul 18, 2002.

1. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    ATI's RADEON 9000 PRO and RADEON 9700 Unveiled - (from the email press release)

ATI's RADEON(tm) 9000 PRO and RADEON(tm) 9700 unveiled at Macworld, bringing unprecedented graphics power to the Macintosh platform
    MACWORLD, NEW YORK - July 18, 2002 - ATI Technologies Inc. today announced that its groundbreaking new RADEON(tm) 9000 PRO and RADEON(tm) 9700 visual processors will be coming to Macintosh in the late summer and early fall. The revolutionary RADEON chips will astound Mac users with twice the graphics power and performance than any other chip on the market.

"As with all RADEON products, the RADEON 9000 PRO and RADEON 9700 were developed with the Mac in mind," said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President, Marketing and General Manager, Desktop, ATI Technologies Inc. "When combined with the latest versions of Mac OS X and Power Mac hardware, these graphics boards will be a strong draw for Apple users looking to increase their 3D performance, extend their creative potential and enhance their overall visual experience in virtually all applications."

A RADEON 9000 PRO Mac Edition board, featuring 64MB of DDR memory and dual-digital display capabilities, will be available through Apple resellers and other distribution channels. With its combination of ADC (Apple Display Connector) and DVI-I (Digital Visual Interface) ports, the RADEON 9000 PRO Mac Edition will allow users to attach one or two traditional flat panels, Apple flat panels or CRT monitors with ultimate convenience.

The RADEON 9000 PRO is packed with impressive features including a quad-pipeline 3D architecture capable of handling the most demanding applications with amazing speed. The chip also harnesses SMARTSHADER(tm) technology to deliver complex, movie-quality effects and SMOOTHVISION(tm) technology that enhances image quality without compromising performance.

"Now users who want a faster graphics card can connect an Apple Cinema Display to their system without having to use a costly adapter," said Stan Ossias, Senior Product Manager, ATI Technologies Inc. "They can even have two full size Cinema Displays running simultaneously, which will make users more productive."

The RADEON 9700 visual processor represents the highest achievement in semiconductor technology, delivering a quantum leap in graphics capability. It doubles the capacity of the previous generation high-end graphics accelerators to deliver breathtaking performance, amazing visual quality and lifelike animation at all resolutions. It includes a long list of groundbreaking technologies, such as eight parallel rendering pipelines and floating-point color precision, into a chip with over 100 million transistors - more than twice as many as today's leading CPU's. The RADEON 9700 Mac Edition board will feature 128MB of high speed DDR memory and a dual display support for CRT and flat panel monitors.

"This fall, Mac users will also be witness to the raw power of ATI's RADEON 9700, the world's fastest and most technically advanced chip," said Bergman. "The RADEON 9700 will drive graphics technology to new heights, totally outperforming every graphics chip currently on the market."

Watching the realplayer video (see link below) no Mac pricing was mentioned but the PC retail list for the 9000 Pro was $129 (targeted to the GF4MX card). I didn't see a price mentioned for the high end 9700 model which has 8x AGP support and was said to be available (PC) in 30 days. ATI's online 9000 Pro Mac product page has a 'buy' link but it's not yet listed at their online store. (as of this morning.)

--------------------------------
    From xlr8yourmac.com

So?

2. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Cool. Cool.

With their 9700 drivers we should finally get PC Radeon 8500 performance. :p

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
  4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i'm surprised. any "Quack" stuff going on this time?

5. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I dunno... my PC friends tell me they get 200fps in Morrowind (with all options on? i dunno.) That alone sounds pretty hard to beat.

On the plus side, hey, it's ATi, and they actually RESPECT the Mac crowd, so more power to 'em.

6. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    :eek: :fap:

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i'm not convinced of anything yet... with the way ati is controlling the information that reviewers can release. i hear ducks quacking again.

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Some guy using beta drivers got 15k 3dmarks on his system, as opposed to the 10k with the gf4 ti4600.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    what mipmap detail level on the geforce and radeon? there is fan boy potential in those results. i'm still not convinced. we will see once the retail cards start shipping and review sites are able to do complete benchmarks, not just % performance like it is right now.

10. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    128mb of onboard memeory is impressive, thats half as much RAM as my system has now lol

11. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Doesn't the GeForce Ti4600 have 128? Ive got 64! 64 MB of good ol SDVRAM!!!

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yes, so do the newer versions of the radeon 8500

Hitometer: 53,550,876 since 1995