Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Appraisals please

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by BrakShow, Dec 8, 2000.

1. BrakShow

BrakShow Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hiya, I have gambled a few uniques and don't know what I should be expecting for them. Culwen's in particular seems to be getting far worse offers than I'd have thought (it was listed in the top ten item list at Gamespy http://www.gamespy.com/top10/december00/d2items/). Don't know if I agree with all the items on that list thought.

So anyway, what could I expect to get for
    Culwen's
    Ironstone
    Goblin Toe
    I've also got a bunch of set items which are becoming increasingly a pain in the rump to trade for anything decent.
    Basically it comes down to me wanting a one handed weapon better than my War Sword 17-42 dam +1-2 cold damage and +92 or something to AR and not seeming to find anyone who thinks I have anything worth something better than that. Are they right, is my stuff not really worth a battle hammer of doom or should I just be more patient? (can't use rare ancient swords yet, req. are too high, probably never will get my dex high enough for one of those since I am a BH type of Paly)

BTW if anyone on USWest has a really nice battle hammer they don't use and wants some of my uniques or set items feel free to lemme know.

Set items are Civerb's Cudgel, Angelic Halo, Cathan's Seal, Cathan's Visage, Sigon's everything (but I think I want to keep the shield for dueling barbs and I don't have any armor good enough to replace Sigon's yet...pathetic when others are posting about their 700+ rare ornates, I know).

------------------
    Brak,
    ------------------
    Wait a minute...I'm, I'm sittin on it, Aww man! I'm sorry sandwich.

2. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    First of all, I've heard the opinion repeated over and over that the people at Gamespy have never in their life actually played D2. Their top ten list is ludicrous even if you forgive it for not including popular rare types (fastest run/fastest recovery boots for example - "dual boots"). They left out iceblink for gods sake. That said, culwens has its uses.

The problem with Culwens is it's not potent enough to be a damage weapon, so its use is limited to spellcasters: sorceresses, necros, and paladins. Necros and paladins both have options to get +2 skills from one handed weapons they can buy from a shopkeeper, so sorceresses are the only class who see culwens as a good option to get +skills from a weapon and still use a shield. Unfortunately, the trend among sorceresses has been away from +skills up the wazoo towards fast cast up the wazoo, so generally a wand or scepter with fastest cast (again buyable from ormus/jamella) is preferrable.

(Translation of rant: try the sorc channel for trading culwens if the general trading channel isn't turning up much)

Hard to trade any set item other than sigons shield, period. If you ever find milebrega's orb, you might find some interest among those who are trying to absolutely max their item find %.

I find trading on realms very frustrating. Most often you get a meeting of the "haves" and the "have nots", and very few trades actually take place. People have gotten good trades (high damage weapon for 3 perfect gems, frostsies for low % tarn, etc.) but it takes a lot of luck or even more patience to find them.

If you're making a hammerdin (blessed hammers that is), collect up about 300k on a lvl 40+ character and make repeated trips to ormus until he offer's you a priests (+2) scepter of the magus (fastest cast). If it has BH or Conc bonuses, that's all the better. Level yourself with hammers in canyon of the magi or steepes/plains, and coop with a bowazon to get past tight spots where hammers don't do too well. Once your char gets to open steepes in Hell diff and can slaughter things solo (i.e. no fighting over drops), you'll be able to get good rares that would allow you to trade for a high damage one hander easily if you still want one.

My first Realms char was a vengance paladin, and I got stuck when my weapon became too weak for the game and I couldn't manage to trade for one (I was offering low % eye of etliches at the time). I ended up making a barb to find items for the paladin, and then a hammerdin to have a paladin who didn't suck in hell diff. Many characters later, I feel I actually have the equipment necessary to make a successful zeal/vengance paladin, and I've gotten him to lvl 33 in the last two days, but the 1-handed 100 damage ancient sword that did the trick was still just a matter of luck and charity of a fellow clansman (Spyda) within the last few days. True melee paladins are one of the hardest classes to equip to be successful in hell diff, IMO. They get into the thick of it like barbs, but lack the astronomical life steal that weapon mastery + WW allows.

3. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Oh, don't trade away goblin toe unless it's a spare, you'll find a million uses for it eventually (especially speed leveling low level chars - good for power leveling solo in 8 player games later on too). Dont' know what you can get in trade for one, because I would never give mine up.

Not sure I've ever heard that other unique of yours mentioned in the trading channel. There are very few marginally useful unique weapons, and as far as I know, that's not one of them...

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    SOJ - the universal trade currency on bnet. [​IMG]

------------------
    lamo mac boy

5. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ironstone is one of the weaker uniques, you'll have a tough time unloading it.

I' ve spent a little time in the trading channel trying to unload Death's set and aquire Mil's orb. General consensus is that the only two sets worth having are Mil's regalia (for the people who drool over +3 to skills) and Sigons, with pieces of other sets coming in behind them (infernal torch, berserker's haubark, vidalia's fetlock, etc.).

Most of the sets just aren't good enough to warrent the time spent collecting them, though I have had fun with Cathan's set on my firesorc (though once I find a good fast cast ring I'll be ditching it for my new heavenly garb).

Surprisingly enough (to me anyway), I've had quite a few bites on the sword from Death's set, but not the whole set. Don't know what's up there.

hmm, I'm rambling now, guess it's time to go. I'll finish up by saying listen to Olon, he knows his stuff. [​IMG]

6. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    the only person i know who gets good trades is Grothin, where does he find those idiots he trades with??

7. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    I recently traded a spare Sigon's Shield and Culwen's for Goldwrap... I needed the damn increased attack speed. I also traded my 2nd Iron Jang Bong for some Rare Fullplate and some nice magic find chain gloves. The trades are out there but you have to stay in the ballpark of the value of the item. ie. Don't try and trade a bonesnap for a dual ring...

In a brief reply to Jakeman's comment I would just like to lodge a complaint with the powers that be about the soj madness... It is getting out of hand with the soj thing... Some moron was offering 15 soj's for a 160+ Exec... What would you ever do with !15! Stones??!! I have never liked the idea of soj's since the beginning and this is just getting out of hand....

Kal

8. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    keep 1 or 2 to where and trade the rest for some really kickass armor or something [​IMG]

you have a point though, you can only where 2

------------------
    I can bend minds with my spoon
    -----------
    Mess not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

9. BrakShow

BrakShow Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, thanks for the replies fellas, I guess I should just play more and trade less and then I'll be able to trade better in the future.

I will keep those Goblin Toes, they do sound cool, but I'm afraid I might miss the faster walk I get with the current boots I'm wearing.

I think I will start gambling nicer items that could end up being highly sought after rares, like splint mail and of course gaultlets. I finally was offered some gaultlets the other night and instead of a crappy blue magical I got...Sigon's gage (I currently wear sigon's set)! So now I'm really trying to unload that in the trading channels. Seems that I've got some good items now, and I'm at such a level that everything I find or have the money to gamble for ends up being something that isn't worth anything better than what I've already got in a trade. I get some rare that is pretty nice but not signifigantly nicer than my stuff to warrant me being able to upgrade my stuff by trading. I keep trying thoug because in 6-8 player games it seems to take forever to kill some of the monsters. But then when people leave the game and it's only me and another char in the game I realize I actually have some damn good stuff for my level...I'm killing those same monsters in one shot (but they don't drop a damn thing!).

Well, thanks again for the opinions.

------------------
    Brak,
    ------------------
    Wait a minute...I'm, I'm sittin on it, Aww man! I'm sorry sandwich.

Hitometer: 53,595,548 since 1995