Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

apple II emulation on windows

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    It took a while but I got it working.

First I found this handy guide which outlines the whole process of getting the KEGS emulator working. It is for playing Dungeon Master specifically, but the instructions apply to any ROM that you download. Extra comments by me are in brackets.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/336

Once you have the emulator working then you can download ROMs from different sites. Here are some good ones:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/

http://www.virtualapple.org/

Some general tips for using the emulator based on my experience:

1) F4 takes you to the KEGS configuration panel where you can select a game ROM to load. After selecting a ROM you need to relaunch the program to play the game. Some games may ask you to swap disks which you can do at any time by pressing F4 to access the configuration panel.

2) To access the Apple IIgs control panel you press Ctrl-Alt-Esc. From there you can select the startup slot which you may need to change depending on which game you are using. First you select a startup slot from the Ctrl-Alt-Esc menu, then you mount the disk in the appropriate slot from the F4 menu, then you restart the program to launch the game.

3) The KEGS readme file has this segment which tells you which slot numbers take which kinds of disks:

4) KEGS can emulate 4 different speeds... 1MHz, 2.8MHz, 8MHz, and unlimited. You will find that some games are sensitive to the speed of the machine and will run way too fast if the speed is too high. You can adjust the speed of the machine from the F4 menu.

5) Some older games may require you to enter all keyboard input in caps, otherwise they won't register your keystrokes.

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I remember I had a card to emulate an Apple IIe in my Mac LCIII, but I never got a 5.25" floppy drive so I never used it.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I am nostalgic about old games but I don't want a bunch of old hardware lying around. I have emulators for that. :D

4. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    yeah, it's not like you need hardware to handle the massive computing power of the IIGS

5. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I still have my working Apple II+...

6. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    I have a IIc somewhere. My parents still have their IIe.

Hitometer: 53,597,310 since 1995