Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Any X advice?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Lurk, Mar 25, 2001.

?

OS X....

1. f'ing ROCKS!

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. is good, but doesn't live up to the hype.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. sucks the big one. I'm going back to 9.1.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. is a "work in progress." Will improve with age.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    OK, I just got home and OS X was waiting for me. I will probably install it sometime tonight. Any tips before I do? Should X and 9.1 be on the same partition/drive/planet or not? And what's the general gut reaction here? Good, bad, wanna puke, etc.?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Myself, I have OS X and 9.1 on the same drive. I formated my second drive. Installed 9.1 first, then installed OS X. I am leaving my 9.0.4 with all my functioning apps for web authoring, games, etc on my other HD so I can boot to that one if I want to be "productive" or play games. OS X does need some polish though. I would keep things separated it you can. OS X is good for browsing the net and stuff though.

3. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I installed it on its own partition on a separate drive from OS 9.1

I know it is early and my opinion will most likely change, but so far OS X isn't making me happy about my purchase in any way. In fact, I feel that it sucks big fat red ass so far. I really hope that my feelings will change. I think things will get better when the bugs are gone and it plays nice with 9.1. This Remote Access thing has me real hot right now. There are no updates yet. I'm waiting patiently.

4. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    well, before my cube left me i had partitioned the drive.. 9.1 on one and X on the other. it had been like that since about january when i got 4k17 and that seemed to work quite well since i could just hold option on bootup to switch between the X and 9.1 drives.

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    So it's installed. It's pretty and all, but my overall reaction is...<shrug>...what's the big deal?

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it. But I am trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who has never used a Mac before, and I'm wondering if OS X is easier to use than the old OS. My feeling is no. In the old OS you could go poking around the system folder and everything seemed to make sense. Descriptive names for the most part, and you pretty much either knew or could guess what everything did. If you go poking around in X, you find all sorts of wierd file names and crap that you aren't sure what it does or if you should mess with it. I don't think novice computer users are going to be able to jump right in like they could with the old OS. If I thought Apple was betting its future on attracting new customers with X, I would sell my Apple stock right now.

Also, I am not used to the new Finder. They say it was bad to have all those nested folders open in the old OS when you were digging around, but I was used to it, it was really not that hard to figure out, and you didn't need to do it very often. Now I am never exactly sure where I am. Oh, and the Dock? Sucks. I am going to say it's worse than the Launcher. Why? Because you can turn the Launcher off. Not so with the Dock. Jobs is forcing that bad boy down everyone's throat because he wanted it in there and how dare any of us question its usefulness.

Maybe I am just not used to X yet, and I am not programming savvy enough, nor do I care enough, to be drooling over the Unix stuff. I will give it time, but for those of you who read MacAddict, my review to this point is "Yeah, whatever."

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    IF YOU'VE NEVER USED A MAC BEFORE THEN YOU'D BE USING OS 9, NOT A NEW OS THAT JUST CAME OUT 2 DAYS AGO WHICH APPLE DOESN'T EVEN RECOMMEND USING AS A FINISHED PRODUCT!!!!

Jeez, if you don't like it...DON'T USE IT!!!
    It's not a particularly difficult concept.

Phoof, got that off my back. Sorry, I've been hearing a couple too many people whining about os x and how it crashes, slows down and is hard to use.

hmmm...I wonder why Apple isn't shipping it on it's computers until July? duh duh duh duh duh

I really hate stupid people who whine about os x being slow, no software / hardware computer is going to make a new os that runs great on current hardware, they're looking out for the future. It'll run nice on the new computers in July (1 Ghz) and later on, but right now Apple wants you to buy new computers, not sit back with an old G3 (au cowofwar) and use os x on it.
    Think of the speed loss as a marketing method.

7. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    wow, I hope none of those comments are aimed at fellow clan members (I know it isn't aimed at me, I'm going to let you guys debug OS X before I climb on board)

if it is you might want to prepare for comments regarding pompous little know it alls that should think a moment before speaking ;)

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, this thread just made me remember.

Go to macaddict.com forums and you'll see all the people I'm talking about.

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I love you too :hump:

But seriously, look what Apple did to os x between the DP days and now, now thing what they can do in the same amount of time now that they've finished all the actual code for the os and it's all optimizing. Apple has even merged the os 9 and os x team together to mainly work on os x.
    I wouldn't be surprised it Apple's pumping out new builds everyday for another couple months.

10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, I deleted what I had up there, I posted it knee-jerk fashion which is never smart. Then I saw you had already replied. Sorry you had to read it, it was too combative. Just call me SmAcK DoWn. :D

Really, I like OS X. I do. I am just having a hard time viewing it through the same rose-colored glasses that you are. A year from now, it will rock the house. Right now it is just so-so. I know Apple wanted to get it out there, but maybe they should have kept it under wraps, at least for the general public, until it was more mature. Hard to say.

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I haven't even bought it yet. I'm waiting until the next shipping build.

12. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I actually have an install question. When you do the installation it registers it with Apple. What's the deal with that? Can you not register it and still install it?

This is exactly what M$$$ is doing with future products. In order to install the software you must register it, even if you already did. It actually logs the CD key and recieves a verification code form M$$$ and then installation continues. I read an article that they will track the frequency you do the installations and if it more than what they are happy with you will actually have to call them to give them an explanation as to why you are installing so much, then they will reset the CD key verification software and the installation will continue.

I hope this is not what Apple is thinking of doing. I have a second machine that I would like to install on and I do not want to have to worry about Apple spying on me and my habits.

13. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    well.. the registration can be cancelled and it doesnt do it until after you install and restart

14. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've been prepping my Beige G3 since it came. Backed up my comp and installed 9.1 yesterday, noticably faster. Just added a Sonnet Turbo ATA/66 card and dual 12Gig Quantum Fireballs to the mix and updated the flash rom on the card. Everything seems stable. Now I have to wait until Sonnet releases the updated G4 Zif card drivers for OS X (two weeks! AUGH!) and I can finally install it. Hopefully by then the bugs will have been sussed out for the most part...

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Get os x 10.1 for speed boost.

16. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Where did you get that? I looked at Apples site and it was not there. Are you joking with us? Or is it in the software update panel?

17. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nevermind, got it. I got it from someone on some forum. I will post the link.

Here is the link the guy gave:

http://www.crayz.f2s.com/OSX101.sit

I hope it is a good image. It is a 4.8 MB d/l (I think)

18. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I hope on your part. Do tell me if it fux0res your computer.

19. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    is that OS 10.1 and official apple release?

20. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    its 10.0.1 and as far as i can see it doesnt do anything but change your build number... i took apart the package and poked around.. im not trusting anything that isnt given to me as a .smi like all the other OS updates that apple releases

Hitometer: 53,855,171 since 1995