Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

another pc vs mac debate

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Autolycus, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    oh, my system is a single processor. of course you can enable smp on yours.

r_smp On - 118.3 fps i assume that's at 1024 since you're on a 15''? that beats me by a lot.

i didn't do anything weird to the cfg, i just have everything maxed out. like i said, there are lots of options that affect performance significantly.

2. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    yes i was @ 1024
    the real point there was.. i have a geforce 3, you have a geforce 4. both our CPUs are 1Ghz, and we were pretty much even. 2fps difference is negligable..

3. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    Cant overclock mac hardware nearly that much??? :wtf:. What in the world? You can overclock a mac more.

Not afraid of anything. Its not worth my time. Guess I need repeating here:
    1. I admitted twice and now admit a 3rd time - Your brothers new, overclocked, overtaxed, barn-burning fire-hazard can play the native Quake 3 game faster than my 3 year old mac with a much slower video card can run the port. You have proven it. You win! OK!
    :flame2:

2. You do not need my scores for any tests. You have a Mac (and a PC) that is much NEWER THAN MINE!!!! Why cant you use your own NEWER MAC???

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    to auto

actually, my system is OCed to 1125MHz and 154MHz on the RAM which only shows that your system is even better than you thought. and yes, i have the better video card and you still beat me. i'm surprised at your numbers. i thought they would be lower than mine. sure, without smp your system scores almost the same as mine, but i think using smp is definately allowed if you are on a dual system.

this certainly says something for the dual gig g4 tower. but the fact remains that my brother's system rapes all of us and costs about $2000 (that includes his $300 case). the dual 1gig g4 system costs 50% more (standard retail, US). macs always cost more, but they are quality. i think the nature of the pc market will always keep pcs on top in terms of raw gaming speed. but for everything else besides games i would prefer to have auto's system (if i had the $).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2002
  5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    you can get a 56% overclock on a g4 processor? do you have any links to testimonials for that or anything? until you provide me with some supporting information that argument is not valid.

1. correction, we now know my bro's pc can play Q3 faster than the best mac available. well, if auto gets a geforce 4 then we will know that for sure, but given the fps margin my brother has i think he would still come out on top. nothing conclusive yet though.

2. i could use my mac, sure. but i'm curious about your scores. it doesn't matter that my mac is newer, i'm trying to get a bunch of scores together for different systems so we can see what performance is on all kinds of macs and all kinds of pcs. this way we get a range.

6. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    Dont have any links, just testimonials from processing engineers, other people, and testing that I and others have done.

1. If you say so.

2. So why cant you use yours? What are you afraid of? Your the one thats interested in this. I am not interested.
    :flame2:

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    you have overclocked your g4 by 56%. don't you have to point solder to overclock a g4? or is there some sort of software that does it?

1. given the timedemo numbers in this thread so far, yes, i say so. you don't agree?

2. ok, i'll do benchmarks on my mac when i get home tonight. i have to go to work soon. :)

8. smack

smack Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    w00p! I have to keep her well cooled because my cpu dumps out seventy some odd watts after volt modding and you could fry an egg on my 4 rimms.

The high end G4 cpus put out 8watts of heat iirc.

9. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    The new 7460's I think. Maybe Auto should try overclocking. He still only has PC133, as opposed to Rambus though (I still think DDR is better).

--Haite

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Not really. Rambus is a better performer when bandwidth is important. Originally the price and the fact that you had to install in pairs drove a lot of people off. But now that Intel has switched to DDR as well as RAMBUS, the price of RAMBUS has fallen quite a bit.

[​IMG]

11. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    i had thought about it. there have been a few reports of 1200Mhz dualies.. but i'd rather keep my warranty :D

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    For information's sake though, let's say that you did, how would you go about it: jumpers, switches, or actual soldering (like older G4's)?

--Haite

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    soldering. Overclocking macs has been difficult since the g3s.

14. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    They can't just make it easy like the switches on your G3 huh?

Steve's at home with his dual 1.4 GHz DDR 333 G4 just mooning his window and shouting "Overclock this you bitches!".

--Haite

15. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    :wtf:You guys do realize that overclocking is a bad thing right?

16. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    only if you're not careful about it.. as long as the CPU doesnt overheat you're fine. Its not like you can MELT a CPU doing it unless you're absolutely retarded... there are plenty of warning signs. crashing on startup, random freezes.. blah blah.. if any funny stuff happens you clock it back. easy as soldering two tiny dots :retard:

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Overclocking is not bad.

It's good. Because cpus have a large variety of possible speeds during fabbing you can either get a chip that's underclocked and is capable of so much more (ie: p4 1.6A) or you get a chip that's sold at it's limit and will only give you 5% more performance with additional cooling.

As long as you're careful and monitor the temperatures you can get a lot more than you paid for. And that's good.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yeah, overclocking can be a good thing as long as you're careful and know what you're doing. you can squeeze extra performance out of many processors without doing any harm to the processor or the rest of your system.

19. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    I will avoid this argument since I am in too many already.

20. smack

smack Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've never heard of anyone damaging anything from overclocking. I have however heard of many people damaging stuff increasing thier voltage or replacing hsfs to facilitate overclocking. Increasing the core speed of a cpu will only add fractions of a watt to the heat output, in my case 2-3 watts. It does not affect stability if you don't push it too far. I can encode video for half a day stable.. infact I never crash it's great :) though I do end up restarting/shutdown about every week or so to mess with stuff.

I would not oc a new mac though.. would be to scared to resolder resistors on such an expensive machine. The b/w g3s oc good though and have jumpers for multi and fsb though.

Hitometer: 53,597,459 since 1995