Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Amazon above 40

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Zitta, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    My bowazon just hit lvl 41 and I was wondering if any higher level amazons were aound who could give me advice on what to put my points into.
    My strength and dex are up to 110 each. I read a guide that said not to put anything into vitality, and that was ok up till act2 nightmare, but now in act3 if a garden variety monster hits me twice i'm dead. I know the goal for a bowazon is not the get hit on the first place, but sometimes you just get surrounded. Shall i start dumping into vitality? Also of the skill my choices are critical strike, penetrate, pierce, strafe, ice arrow and valkyrie. Should I spend my points around or concentrate on one?

------------------
    It's too bad she won't live, but then again who does...

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Basically, I leveled until 45 where I had 170 str and 140 dex with my items. Since I had the max requirements I started dumping into vitality. Now I have 500 health and 100 mana so I'm quite happy.

------------------
    [​IMG]
    Wait a minute! This is grass! We've been eating grass!

3. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    A level 77 amazon I know put all points into strafe and valkyrie...

Wran

4. ogopogo

ogopogo Peasant

Market Rating:
    From what i heard from the high lvl Amazons is that they don't really put that much points into st. to wear the ornated instead they pump up the avoid, evade and douge. For the other skills i heard the same thing as wran strafe and valckarie, and the guy i knew had some into muptiple shots too, he said that its good for duel/pk

------------------
    "The beauty of shock is nothing compare to the shock of beauty"

5. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thanks for all the advice. My dilemma now is wether to keep putting int strength and dex, or dex and vitality. I guess it is a question of personal taste and style.

------------------

6. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    My open amazon is at 43 now and I've decided to pump up her str just a little more, and concentrate on dex and vit. I'm mostly putting points into strafe, valkryie, penetrate and those long ignored dodge, evade, and avoid skills. I should've put more points into them earlier, but oh well. Maybe next bow amazon I'll pay better attention to them. And go for ice. The fire arrow skills just aren't doing much now, not unless I pump alot of points into Immolation.

------------------
    I say we nuke it from orbit... it's the only way to be sure. :D

7. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Though I hate to say goodbye to my 43rd amazon, I'm starting to see the downfall of her wasted points. I'm thinking of restarting her, not putting so many points in multi-arrow (since I only use strafe now) and ditch the fire skills for ice. And putting more points into dodge, avoid and evade.
    Sigh. She's not as strong as she could be, but, hey, that's part of the fun right? Experimenting until you get the right combonation for you.

------------------
    It wasn't me

8. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, that's the thing with multi arrow: the lower levels you must have it, but once you get strafe you feel you wasted points. Strafe has one drawback though: you can't break it off. At higher levels you might be standing there shooting while the baddies are closing in on you and you can't run.

------------------

9. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    I noticed another little thing that almost gets me killed, especially with diablo's lightning inferno, when I try to run away from it, if I'm trying to dodge it, I can't run, and it still hits me, thus giving me some close calls. you'd think if I was dodging, it wouldn't hurt me, but perhaps there is a chance to hit you even when dodging. Have you had this happen?

------------------
    It wasn't me

10. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    I haven't noticed that, but my dodge is low level.
    Usually with Diablo I'm just frantically running around. Next time I'll take a necro with me.

------------------

11. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    That is a known bug of the evade skill (or whatever the dodge while running one is), and a reason why many high level amazons only put a single point into it (1 not 0 because it is a valk pre-requisite).

Diablo's lighting breath has something of an area effect and he can twist it around real fast too. Taking time away from running away from the lighting breath to make a little hop to the side (sometimes the hop could be further into the stream of lightning) is generally not productive.

Come to think of it, when I'm running, I'm usually running for a very good reason, and sometimes it is just better to get nicked by some attack than to slow down to peform the evade skill and end up getting slaughtered by the force of the main attack that was right on my heels.

12. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    hehe. you know everything [​IMG]
    How do you do that...? [​IMG]

------------------
    It wasn't me

13. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, how?

------------------

14. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Mutated genetic structure causing increased capacity for knowlege retention in the brain. [​IMG]

Blame it on the nuclear power plant nearby my hometown.

15. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    So since you are so knowledgable, what is your opininon of this "bow bug" rumor?

------------------

16. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've been reading that thread for the last several days, and I must say that I'm pretty convinced by the tests people have done.

Basically the only thing that has kept a lot of Amazons from noticing it earlier is the handy bug of strafe damage modifiers being added AFTER everything else is calculated (unlike all other +damage % mods in the game). This has made strafe particularly effective.

For those who don't know, the rumor (diabloii.net is convinced enough to report it on their first page if that means anything to you) is that the kings/ merciless modifiers don't work properly on bows, only adding 1 to min and max damage. That means that unless blizzard fixes that bow damage bug, many 130 damage gothic bows out there are actually still 50 damage bows. +min and +max damage modifiers still work fine apparently.

If it's all a big hoax, I'll laugh my *** off, because a lot of people I know have been convinced. [​IMG]

Oh, and I think I noticed you posting a couple times there Zitta. Just be warned, some of the people on those diabloii.net boards are rude/idiots, and they can be really mean to people who ask questions that were asked a few days before, even if the answers to those questions are no longer accessable because they've been moved back too far. I almost never post on any of those boards, choosing to lurk instead.

17. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    "Lurk" - I like that word.

Anyway, this whole thing seems a bit muddy. One of the experimenters used a paladdin to shoot the bows. Now, we already know that not all weapons work the same for all character classes. The same weapon won't have the same attack speed for a necro as for a barb. So could it be that a bow is not as effective for a paladdin as an amazon?

Still, the bug is possible - I think amazons should be able to do more damage.

Let me know if you hear further development on this.

------------------

Hitometer: 53,816,792 since 1995