Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Ajustment to Poll Thread - No longer pointless :-)

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Alteren, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Alteren

Alteren MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    I guess I'm just goign to ask about the pros and cons of:

- mage
    - warlock
    - priest

I really want to be able to, for lack of a better term, "LRN2PLY" this time around. Before I left, many of you know that I did take a warlock into the mid 40s and had some fun with that.

I'm trying to think of what might be best for me into the 50s and 60s. Soloing will be somethign I do to get up there, but I want to be an asset to a group once I do get there. I'm guessing all of those can fit that in one way or another.

The main thing is that I think I can have fun with all of those classes. Warlock was some of the best soloing I'd ever experienced, but I didn't do as much with groups as I would have liked.

I know priest is the ultimate groupy with holy and great soloing with shadow.

I know mage can pretty much do it all.

Is there any advice you guys can give as I think about this over the next day?

Thanks so much. If you guys need any more info, let me know. I know this might seem a little vague.

Sorry again about the useless poll.

- Greg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    This isn't a good poll. Class choice is a personal preference. What fun is the game when you have other people tell you what to do? It would be better if you asked about the differences between these 3 classes:

mage - glass cannon, dies easily, dominates dps meters if properly geared and specced
    warlock - cannon without the glass, lots of life and life abilities, pets
    priest - you need to decide on shadow versus holy, solo versus group, dps versus healing

3. Alteren

Market Rating:
    It sounds to me like you almost would put warlock over mage for me in this case.

With priest, I'd want to be able to do groups. Do people who do shadow up until 50-60ish area get looked down upon when they are asked to heal in places like SM?

Thanks Jaden :-).

- Greg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  4. JollyRedGiant

JollyRedGiant MSC Commander

Market Rating:
    i went holy all the way with Youneedme, but I had a lot of help leveling from J. However, they added some nice talents to the disc/holy trees that you could get and be a dps/heal without going shadow.

5. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip :-)

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well I have exactly one toon above level 20, so pretty much all I can talk about is the Mage. I have a lot of fun being a Mage, it's a fairly straightforward class to play, at least in pre-AQ40 PvE. Pretty much you just kill what needs killing.

If you're going to be doing a lot of group PvP, be warned that Mages are usually the highest priority target, even over healers. And because you are cloth, you will die much. Get used to waiting in the GY to rez.

That said, play what you like. Play all three if you want. Probably the best solo class of the three you mentioned is the Warlock, they are strong in a lot of areas.

7. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Well, sorry it's been a while. My laptop just wasn't gonna cut it for running WoW, and I didn't want to even try it on that. Our desktop had been broken, so that wasn't possible.

Good news though. The family recently, finally, picked up a new tower which is MORE THAN CAPABLE of running WoW, so I'll be coming back. I'm actually downloading the patch right now so it shouldn't be too long.

Well, I'm think of eithe rpries tor warlock now, and it's kin dof a tossup. I've accepted the fact that I'm never really goign to be a raider, so maybe I should go with the warlock which is stronger solo.

I know priests can be strong solo when specced for it, but I'd want to be a healer eventually. With future expansions, I'm not sure how it would be either goign as a pure healer for 10ish levels or respeccing every so often.

On the other angle, healers are valuable. People want htem in groups, and that certainly speeds thing sup in some respects.

I guess I just need to get a coin out and flip before I get back on here. I know that warlock is pretty good DPS with a lot of utility...survivability...good solo.

I know that priest are kind of a mixed bag, but in the end, I'd want to be good with groups and be a healer if I went that route.

Any last thoughts for me? :-)

8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Dude you're being way too analytical, but we love you for it. :p

Play what you like! Have fun! It's a game! :banana:

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Yeah. I enjoy character research too, but when you contemplate a decision for a month I think you are going overboard. This isn't a crucial life decision, it's a game. :p

10. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I over analyze in real-life too. You might see it as odd, but it's nothing new to me anyway :-).

You'll be happy to know I flipped a coin last night to finally decided this:

Heads: Warlock
    Tails: Priest

It came out tails, so I'm now a priest :-)

Think it's wise to go shadow until 55-60 or should I try to level all the way as holy/disc?

PS: That's supposed to be funny, because flipping a coin isnt' a very analytic way of deciding things :-)

PPS: I guess it wasn't funny if I had to explain it :-)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Not to mention that you can play more than one class you know. As MMO's go, WoW is one of the easiest ones to level up in, especially if you have help.

I love my mage, but I'm currently working on a rogue that I'm having a blast with. She's a killing machine.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Shadow spec all the way. I remember lvling my priest and taking on elites a couple levels higher than me. Just get the best wand possible for your current level. You'll want to put points in talents that give wands extra damage. Think there's a leveling guide on Priest forums that's pretty effective.
    Only took me 8 playing days to get my priest from 1 to 60 (about two weeks of playing).

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I hate fighting shadow priests in pvp. :cry:

14. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I'll have to take a look at that guide. I will definitely want to be holy eventually though :-)

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    In the expansion tier 9 shadow priests are getting a mana generation DOT which can be used with vampiric talent for group health and mana generation on DOT damage. So shadow priests aren't entirely group unfriendly.

16. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I still have time to think. I'm going to do shadow going up anyway, so if I get to the end and decide I'd rather keep it, then I will keep it :-)

17. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Well, I started out a priest, and I'm going to at least go with shadow until the 50s, probably until 55ish.

I joined a guild with some of the buddies I knew when I ver first played. It's tiny like you guys, and, when I get up to appropriate levels, I'll be ablet ohelp you guys with some events just the same.

Thanks for all your help answering my, at times, dumb questions and sorry for any trouble :-)

Hitometer: 53,550,925 since 1995