Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

AH! Ap Euro Hist exam tommorow...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaeric, May 8, 2003.

1. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    So why are you taking AP courses?

They're harder so they drop your GPA which makes it harder to get into post secondary. They don't cover everything that a 100 level course covers in post secondary so you're screwed once you hit 200 level because you'll be missing some key basics.

I took IB in grade 9-11 but dropped it in grade 12 because I realized it was insanely stupid. Went back into the normal program, worked half as hard, got twice as good marks as the IB program, got into university and learned what I needed in university lectures with professors who knew what they were talking about and with teaching assistants who could help out instead of in a class with thirty other pubescent shit heads learning half the stuff I would in university with a teacher who has no idea what he's talking about.

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    That's because the IB is directed by EUians :D. I dunno, I'm not in university yet so I don't have an opinion on AP classes. The only reason I work less in my academic classes than my AP classes is because of the emphasis on homework.

I can handle anything they can dish out either way, it's just my laziness that catches up to me. I mean seriously, everyone in the world besides those with mental deficiencies could take the most advanced courses, people are more intelligent than culture lets them believe; it's not the difficulty of the material, but the effort required.

Discipline and family values have gone down hill, that's why we have so many ADD kids now. I see it so much. Kids in disfunctional families, or families where there's no boundaries on behavior, or money, or any excess, are consistantly dropping behind the kids from tight-knit loving families who have parents that are more strict, require chores, or have curfews. It's the little stuff that all adds up.

Man, there's major digress; oh well, I guess to summarize - there's lots of untapped potential that humans have, it just takes a little maturity. Our species has a pretty brief history, give it time. AP's relevant? I'll make that call in two years' time, after I've finished up taking all those 100 series classes :D.

3. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    The reason I take AP classes in High school is because they look better for colleges. Everyone I have talked to (guidance councilors, admissions councilors, etc.) have said it is better to take the AP Class and get a B, then take the regular class and get and A. It shows you are actually putting some effort in.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Lies. They don't look at your classes, all they look at is your GPA for the required courses.

A kid who got an A in principles of mathematics 12 would get in before you in you got a B- in AP principles of mathematics 12.

Yes it would be relevant for scholarships, but for post secondary entry - no. All it does is let you skip some 100 level courses which is pretty ****ing stupid. I wouldn't skip a 120 science courses and go into the 200 level, that's suicide.

5. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, they do look at what level of courses you take. 1 AP course doesn't make a difference, but if it looks like you generally take 'college level' courses, they do take that into consideration.

And the credit is nice. I got credit for one elective from AP US History, so my Junior or Senior year I'll have 1 less course to take. With my AP Calc credit, I plan on getting "dual credit" or whatever it's called for the class, so just in case I fail, I can register for Physics 2 and Calc 2 in the Spring instead of waiting until after I retake it in Summer.

Maybe they were pointless for you to take, but for many people, AP classes prepare them much more for college.

6. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    :nod: :nod:

Cow... Would "post-secondary" be equal to "graduate" school? Thats what we call it here, just wanted to clarify.

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Uh, no.
    Elementary --> Middle --> Secondary --> University --> Grad school

Actually yes, anything after high school (secondary) is post-secondary.

University/college can't be grad school because graduating from high school isn't worth shit. Anyone can graduate from high school, and if you can't then you're a worthless waste of skin.

Now graduating from university with a degree is worth a lot more, so in the real world graduate school is for university graduates.

8. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok ok...I got it...a little touchy aren't we?

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes

10. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    God damn fascist Canadians!!

:D :jk:

11. ogopogo

ogopogo Peasant

Market Rating:
    I do think they look at the courses you are taking in the stats. I think, cow, u r speaking from a canadian perspective. University and college in Canada, well at least UBC and SFU practically let anyone with half a brain gets in. All they ever look at is your GPA, and if ur courses meet the entrace requirement. The selection prossess doesn't start until they fail half of the students by the end of the first year. On the other hand, the US universities has a much much higher standard on what student they accept. Courses they take, extracuriculur activities, volunteer works etc etc. Perhapes that's why they have 95%+ ppl able to graduate from the top end universities. And ya cows right, post secondary means exactly what it says heh.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I like the canadian method better because there are people who couldn't get the really high marks in high school but excel in university and there are those who can get really high marks in high school but fall flat on their face in university.

By having a huge freshman population they weed themselves out after the first year like you said. It's up to the students to accept the responsability of their own education.

Hitometer: 53,578,841 since 1995